multitrak question, basses?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

multitrak question, basses?

Postby The Cancer Years » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:14 am

so I might get one, but I did some googling and the general consensus is you guys aren't fans. I played a sixtrak once and was going to buy it until the dudes from Metric bought it right out from under my nose.

I want it to do some analog (read: deep) basses, I was using an AX80 but just not achieving what I want. indirectly I am trading the ax80 for it, straight across.

So the question is Multitrak, good for bass?
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com
The Cancer Years

Postby Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:00 am

er... I've never used the ax-80, but would have a hard time believing that the six-track/multi-track, etc. did bass better than that. Although the latter are VCO based, it's only one VCO/voice and not very big VCOs at that.

I had a multi briefly, and ended up selling it simply cos it wasn't anything spectacular. Also, the envs weren't real fast, so you're not going to get good blip bass or anything like that. I would stick with the ax-80 for overall utility-it certainly is (or should be) worth more than a multitrack.

EDIT: the one redeeming factor of the multi is that is responds to CCs for all functions. The review on bluesynths.com, while a little overzealous, gives a good idea how this could be used in multitimbral setting....
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby otto » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:17 am

Cancer, I think you want a mono.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby wiss » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:55 am

if you like the SCI sound the mulitrack is a good board. Step up from the 6-track, better midi, indv outputs for the 6 tracks on the sequencer, better midi, and still retains STACK MODE. It's really good as a mono and duo.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby The Cancer Years » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:28 am

Yeah I want a mono, but I can't afford a mono, so in my head analog(multitrak) is better than the ax80 for that.

I coudl be wrong though, we are doing a techno thing so mainly its just deep bass I am after.

I was also offered a Ks5 for it, but I am wondering with the Nord is that going to be redundant?
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

The Cancer Years

Postby Altitude » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:15 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:EDIT: the one redeeming factor of the multi is that is responds to CCs for all functions. The review on bluesynths.com, while a little overzealous, gives a good idea how this could be used in multitimbral setting....

I am sorry but that is not correct, the Multitrak ONLY responds to sysex and only on a patch dump basis so you cannot individually control ANY parameters outside of editing software which will send individual patch dumps with said parameter changed. I think you are thinking of the sixtrak (there is no Multitrak review on bluesynths).

I owned one for about 3 years and you can get decent sounds out of it but personally I would go with a sixtrak having to choose between the two. The multitrak has the crappy CEM3394 built in filter which is pretty pretty weak while the sixtrak despite being also based on the 3394, uses a 3372 for the filter (like the P600). That and the fact that the Sixtrak DOES respond to CC's for most if it's parameters makes it a no brainer
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby The Cancer Years » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:44 am

the only review on bluesynths is for a sixtrak.

that could be where the confusion is.

The Cancer Years

Postby immigrantboy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:03 am

I tried one out in a local store. Its a pretty far out board! I don't know why, but the interface didn't seem so intuitive to me outside of editting. The patch banks, sequencer and arppegiator seemed akward, though I'm sure in time I'd learn.

The bass can be fairly fat in unison mode, though I'd say it best excels at those ghostly, stringy, creamy pads that other SCI gear is known for.

I would totally buy it, but the store has it listed at $350. I suppose that is a fair price, though I think they usually go on ebay for $300. I want that haunting SCI sound though...
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"
immigrantboy

Postby nadafarms » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 am

the last thing I would ever buy a cheap analog poly for is bass...

If you want thin pads and cheesy electric pianos then multitrack is the way to go! :wink:

Kidding, I would buy one for some spacey pads but definitely not for bass. You could find a cheap mono for the price of a multitrak?
for sale/trade: EML-101
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby The Cancer Years » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 am

buyers guide?

The Cancer Years

Return to Buyer's Guide