Some advice on first synth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Some advice on first synth?

Postby FluoD » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 pm

Ok. I have been researching for a while and looking into getting a synth. This obviously led me to this forum. I will be using the synth probably in a band with guitars (don't judge me).

I started looking at the alesis micron, but went off that because of lack of knobs. The microkorg doesnt appeal as that is used by so many synth/guitar bands.

With a budget of about £250 i have ended up looking at the juno 6. would you recommend this, I know it has a great sound, easy to control, looks great (the sliders are particularly appealing fr someone learning about synthesis as there are no deep digital menus to navigate) but is it overpriced and are there better options out there? I have also looked at the Jx 3P.. but the lack of physical controls and the prohibitive cost of the pg 200 has put me off that as well.

The juno 6 does seem the best option for me, as a monosynth would be limiting and i think it would give me all the sonic possibilities I want. Pkus its analogue, in my price range (just) and looks great.

But i just thought I'd ask you lot (experts :P) for some advice/ confirmation on my decision.

Thanks in advance.
FluoD

Postby JMP » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Juno 6 would be a fine choice for a first synth but suggest you spend just a bit more and get the Juno 60 as lack of memories on the Juno 6 will eventually annoy you.

You can get a decent range sounds out of the Juno series and very straightforward to use.
Last edited by JMP on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Altitude » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Perfect choice for a first synth. I would go for a 60 if you can find one though, patch storage is handy if you actually plan on playing out
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:50 pm

I second both the above. I started with a Juno 6, in the days when I still was in a band. Having a 60 at the time would have been beneficial. You can probably get one of those for £250.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby FluoD » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:23 pm

Ok thanks :D

Seems my research paid off.

I would prefer a 60 but i think i'd have to be lucky to get one in my price range. I'll keep scouring ebay though and will hopefully get hold of one this summer :D
FluoD

Postby MrFrodo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:29 pm

The Juno 6 and JX-3p are good synths, but I second the Juno 60 recommendation. And, I also want to make my favourite first-synth suggestion, the JX-8p w/ PG-800. You may not get it for 250, but it'll be worth the effort just to look for it.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
MrFrodo

Postby FluoD » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Just a final question...

what price should i aim for when buying a juno 6 / 60

is £300 overpriced for a juno 60?

just a rough guideline would be helpful.

EDIT: should i post in gear wanted aswell. im checking ebay regularly, but craigslist is a bit s**t in the uk, oh and i've looked at the sound on sound ads. Anywhere else to look?
FluoD

Postby Phenom » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:43 pm

£300 sounds like a decent price for a Juno 60 in good condition, I've seen them go for a bit more, and a bit less in the UK, but £300 is about right.

Unless you couldn't possibly stretch to the extra cash I'd rule out the 6 and go for the 60, especially if you're looking for a synth that'll let you grow with it. If you want to get into MIDI later, then the 6 is a false economy.

With the 60 you can just buy a Kenton Pro-DCB and your 60's midi'd up (with some useful new features too) or one of thse cheaper MIDI-DCB converters (from the Czech Republic I think).

If you want to get a 6 into midi you'll have to retrofit it with midi ports, or (marginally cheaper) retrofit it with DCB and then buy a MIDI-DCB converter anyway, or just stick with triggering the arp with clicks (fun but quite limited, and not polyphonic).

Any retrofitting of a 6 would probably cost more than the syth itself is worth, and with that kind of cash you could be getting a nice little mono to go with it instead like the SH09 or SH101.

Or of course you could just get a Juno 106, but where is the love in that :wink:
Phenom

Postby FluoD » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:59 pm

OK. please help me now.. good do with a quick reply :o

How much is a Juno 6 worth, (im guessing no more than £250 not including postage if i need it.)

And a Juno 60 is worth about £300 not including postage as we have just discussed.

I might have to cancel an ebay bid if i have got my prices all wrong :( :oops:
FluoD

Postby Phenom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:17 pm

Sorry to sound vague here, but there really is no set "right" price, just a price that would be right for you.

For me £250 for a juno 6 would not be such a great price when for about £50 more you could get patch memories and a DCB socket. Even if you don't use the DCB immediately, you probably will at some point if the synth is a keeper.

At any rate I think 250 is a bit much for a Juno 6, but as I said before, that's only because I don't think it's worth that much, market forces seem to disagree with me.

Good luck anyway, whether you get 6, 60 or 106, I'm sure the sound'll make you happy.
Phenom

Postby JMP » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:18 pm

I've logged Ebay UK sale prices on synths for the last few years. Here's the lowest and highest I've seen each sell for:

Juno 6 - Low £107. High £255.

Juno 60 - Low £256. High £410.

Hopefully these will help confirm whether you've bid correctly or not.
JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby FluoD » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:41 pm

WOW thank you for the quick replies. I agree with you phenom and i am definitely looking to save a bit more and get a juno 60.. it is worth the extra cash.

And JMP thank you so much for those prices, they do vary alot, but its great to have a guideline.
Last edited by FluoD on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FluoD

Postby JMP » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:49 pm

FluoD wrote:And JMP thank you so much for those prices, they do vary alot, but its great to have a guideline.

No prob, price variation is subject to condition (but all working models) and seller feedback etc. The usual Ebay factors...

Good luck. Sure you'll be happy with a Juno 60.
JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby FluoD » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Im sure I will :D

Just need to actually get one...

There is a Juno 6 currently at £260 on ebay uk!!! Thats (a little) ridiculous.

Its not even in great condition :o

I'd thought prices would fall with the financial scare mongering.
FluoD

Postby JMP » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Nah, popular vintage synths like the Juno 60 will likely keep rising, some have probably sold for more than I've logged. It's the more modern stuff that's readily available reducing in price over time.

Try posting in the Gear Wanted section of VSE and also on SOS classifieds. I've had pretty good responses when sourcing stuff on there in the past:

http://www.soundonsound.com/readersads
JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide