Alesis Fusion 8HD

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Alesis Fusion 8HD

Postby basssdude34 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:46 pm

Does anyone have an Alesis Fusion 8HD? Im looking at buying one but im not sure if it would be a good synth...seems like you can model sounds but id like to have an owner tell me a little bit about it....
basssdude34

Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Postby Box » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!
Box

Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum

Postby ReaPeR » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:18 pm

for me the Fusion is the ROMpler with the best synth engine in the market under 2500$... it even has TRUE S&H!!!!
ReaPeR

Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Postby bigbadbarns » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

I bought a 6HD about... a year ago I guess. I had a thread going on here about it, which got some good responses (not sure if it would still be on here, as it was a year or so ago).

Its pretty awesome. However, you really need to have a solid understanding of synthesis to make the most of it. It has a pretty good synth engine, but the fact that it is, effectively, a menu based interface, means that you can't just f**k with knobs and see what happens. I'm no synth expert, but I think I've got a reasonable grasp of things, and even then, I know I'm not making the most of it.

I'm glad I bought it. I admit that I use it mostly for its rompler sounds and as a notepad for getting ideas down. Even just using it for that makes it excellent value for money.

The sequencer is a pain in the a*s, and a bit limited.
bigbadbarns

Postby basssdude34 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:45 am

so would you say its a synth that i can grow with?
basssdude34

Postby 23 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:38 pm

basssdude34 wrote:so would you say its a synth that i can grow with?

Definitely.

I'd agree with the sentiment that you're going to want to have a grasp on numerous synthesis methods given it's primarily menu driven interface.
Actually....when it comes to programming, the thing is pretty much TOTALLY menu driven.

If you can get past that, it's VA engine is actually pretty darn in depth, it's sample based synth engine is considerably in depth, it's FM engine is pretty much along the lines of FM8, and it's reed and wind models, though limited in paramater set, are quite good.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Postby basssdude34 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am

would getting the alesis be better than if i got a roland SH-201 and a roland SP-404? Considering that I already have a keyboard with good piano/organ/string sounds....
basssdude34

Postby Summa » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 am

23 wrote:it's FM engine is pretty much along the lines of FM8

Well, afaik (I talked to some fusion owner) it's missing too much to compete, since Operators/Carriers aren't tunable to 0Hz no waveshaping is possible, feeding Filter and Distortion back into the FM is missing too...
Summa

Postby Huppo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:18 am

basssdude34 wrote:would getting the alesis be better than if i got a roland SH-201 and a roland SP-404? Considering that I already have a keyboard with good piano/organ/string sounds....

Yes. Go here:

http://www.promusicproducts.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php

It's a whole forum dedicated to the Alesis Fusion.

Since you are kind of new to the whole synth thing, maybe a little explanation is in order. The Fusion is like a bunch of different synths all crammed into one keyboard. By that I mean there are several different synthesis methods.

It is a sampler (like the SP-404). You can sample your own sounds or load in samples you buy or download and store them on the internal hard drive. This gives you virtually unlimited sounds since you can put anything you can hear into it. It comes with a bunch of samples already preloaded and there's loads more to be found free at this place.

It's a VA (Virtual Analog). You can program it the same way you'd program any other VA synth, including the SH-201. It's actually much more complex and capable than the SH-201. It has 6 oscillators instead of 2, for starters.

It has an FM synth engine in it (Like the DX-7). That's a completely different type of synthesis that's really hard to explain and even harder to program. The FM engine in the Fusion is more complex and capable than the DX-7 for a bunch of arcane reasons you wouldn't understand.

It does Physical Modeling of reed and wind instruments, meaning that it digitally models (and lets you control) the physical attributes of these types of instruments. If you want a ten foot long clarinet that's 1/2 an inch wide, you can have one.

In addition to this stuff it has a very extensive effects section. You can use it to process external sounds. You can use it as a guitar effects box if you want.

It has a hard disk recorder and sequencer built in but both those functions are poorly developed and not worth the trouble.

Yes, you can grow with it. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to grow out of it as long as you're interested in learning synthesis methods and programming. If anything, you'd have a hard time grasping all of it right off the bat, but it's got a ton of presets to keep you amused and you can get lots more, so if you aren't able to create your own sounds at first there's still plenty to play with and use as a starting point.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.
Huppo

Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Postby basssdude34 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:16 am

well if theres a crappy sequencer in it should i just get a drum machine to make up for it?
basssdude34

Postby Huppo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 am

By sequencer i mean something you can use to record entire pieces of music with multiple tracks of MIDI and audio. It was Alesis' attempt at creating a workstation type synth, it's just a crappy implementation of a feature that has nothing to do with synths as instruments and is about 1000% easier to do on a computer. You don't need a drum machine to replace that function, I'm suggesting you just ignore the function entirely and record the music whatever way you're already doing it. You are asking about synths..not DAWs or Midi sequencers.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.
Huppo

Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Postby basssdude34 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:06 am

alright thanks man, sounds like this synth is gonna work out pretty good....but live, if i have multiple sounds for a song how would i play them?
basssdude34

Return to Buyer's Guide