High Pass Filters

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
shadowshocker

High Pass Filters

Post by shadowshocker » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:17 am

I've been looking around online for a high-pass filter, but I can't find anything! I already have a moog Low-pass filter, so I'm trying to get away with not getting another effect with both lo and hi pass filters, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there. I'm mainly looking for effects pedals, but anything will do. So what does everyone here use for their high-pass filter, and is there anything that is just focused on the one filter?

Thanks

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:34 am

hey :)
I dont know if your strictly analog but the alesis philtre has high pass (as well as Low pass, band pass and band stop), its digital but has a charming sound and can be had for cheap. I believe tallowaters is selling one over in the for sale section if you think it may be suitable.
peace
M

shadowshocker

Post by shadowshocker » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:48 am

hey, thanks but for now I'd rather get something analog. Sorry, I forgot to put that in.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 am

There aren't many filters that only do HP, if I were you I'd go for either a multimode or LP/HP combo. The Frostwave Resonator is awesome, get that. :thumbright:

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:59 pm

Does it have to strictly be a filter? A shelving EQ could act as a HP filter but generally limited to lower frequencies, or are you specifically looking for a filter that sweeps the whole spectrum? Obviously if you're just looking to cut out rogue low frequencies before you record/amplify an EQ would do, and you'd get other frequency bands to play with.

But yeah, if you're specifically looking for a filter, as Stab says the Frostwave Resonator is probably your best bet. :D

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 pm

There is also the Phobos filtered coffee http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concu ... sor/fc.htm for MS-20 clones for around $350. I have an Electrix filter factory which are still found on the used market, although it's alot cleaner sounding.

You may also consider a multimode filter from a modular. Then you could add more to it later.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

shadowshocker

Post by shadowshocker » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:40 pm

The Frostwave looks good, but it's a little too much for me. I haven't really found anything else though, so maybe I'll just save up for it.

Also, I'm looking for a few other things as well. I'm trying to get away from dealing at all with computers/digital so I need a few things to do what I used to use the computer for. I'm hoping I could get something that does this all, but I'm not sure if I can.

I'm looking for something that can change the time of a sample, but not the pitch. I already have an MPC that can change the time, but it also effects the pitch. Also, I'm looking for something that can reverse samples.

Those are the two things I'm looking for, and hopefully I can get it in one piece of equipment. Anyone know of anything?

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Something that can change the time but not the pitch would be a V-Synth or a VP9000 (or a computer), and you should be able to reverse samples on just about any sampler.
virb.com/ookpikk

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:38 am

I'm looking for something that can change the time of a sample, but not the pitch. I already have an MPC that can change the time, but it also effects the pitch. Also, I'm looking for something that can reverse samples.
TBH, these are processes that NEED to be done digitally - there are samplers that can do this, but it'll be both cheaper - possibly free - and easier to download a software program that will do both these things. I do understand your intentions, but the first is a complex process that in one form or another requires a computer, whether it be a laptop or a processor inside an effects unit (the second process can be done by recording to tape and flipping the tape around, but I assure you it's much quicker and easier on a computer, and if you're looking for 'analogue' sound mix it down to tape and feed it back in. A hardware sampler wouldn't give you any real advantages.). The fact is that neither of these are processes that can be done spontaneously unless you look at something like a V-Synth as Bigbag says, which is serious money for something that can be done on a computer that you probably already have, albeit not spontaneously.

Obviously if you really want to do this without a computer, then fine...but you sure can't do it without digital.

shadowshocker

Post by shadowshocker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:42 am

Alright, I'll stick with using the MPC. I figured there'd be a way to do it with tapes somehow, but maybe not.

Thanks for the help!

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:53 pm

Solderman wrote:You may also consider a multimode filter from a modular. Then you could add more to it later.
This plus this or this gets you there for $255-270, and you could throw one of these guys into that mini-case for another $90.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

shadowshocker

Post by shadowshocker » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:19 pm

I decided I'm gonna get the Electrix Filter Factory. Maybe not the best filter, but for only using the High-pass filter, it's the cheapest I could get. Anyone have any experience with this?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:17 am

shadowshocker wrote:I decided I'm gonna get the Electrix Filter Factory. Maybe not the best filter, but for only using the High-pass filter, it's the cheapest I could get. Anyone have any experience with this?
I have experience with the Filter Queen, and with buying the cheapest thing I could get. The Filter Queen is pretty bland, I sold mine because it didn't sound too different to software. Buying the cheapest thing is usually a bad idea, in the long run you'll end up selling it and buying the thing you wanted in the first place.

The distortion on the Filter Factory is pretty good though, it makes a big improvement over the Filter Queen.

shadowshocker

Post by shadowshocker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:51 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
shadowshocker wrote:I decided I'm gonna get the Electrix Filter Factory. Maybe not the best filter, but for only using the High-pass filter, it's the cheapest I could get. Anyone have any experience with this?
I have experience with the Filter Queen, and with buying the cheapest thing I could get. The Filter Queen is pretty bland, I sold mine because it didn't sound too different to software. Buying the cheapest thing is usually a bad idea, in the long run you'll end up selling it and buying the thing you wanted in the first place.

The distortion on the Filter Factory is pretty good though, it makes a big improvement over the Filter Queen.
Yeah true, but like I said, I already have a Low-pass, so the high-pass won't really be a crucial role in anything I"m doing, and everything will probably get effected after going through it. If I was going to use it a lot like I use the Low-pass, maybe I'd spend more, but for now I'm gonna hope that it works out.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:32 am

pricklyrobot wrote:
Solderman wrote:You may also consider a multimode filter from a modular. Then you could add more to it later.
This plus this or this gets you there for $255-270, and you could throw one of these guys into that mini-case for another $90.
damn, I have been trying to make the optimal config for one or two of those since I first saw those announced....a bbdelay seems to be at the top of my list...though some kind of processing box would be dope...