I can't choose !!!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

I can't choose !!!

Postby basementmonkey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:57 pm

hey,

I am researching on synths for quit a while now because I want to buy one and I came up with a list of synths. I based this list on budget, sound and looks.

Now I can only buy one ( maybe two ) but I can't choose because I can't try them all out. I'm probably going to use the instrument for making electro-house and ( something completeley else ) Vangelis/Tangerine Dream style. My budget lays somewere between 500 € and 1000 € .

Wich one should I choose

- Korg MS-10
- Roland Juno-106
- Roland SH-101
- Korg Poly-61
- ARP Axxe ( or Solus but I don't seem to find this one )
- Korg Mono/Poly ( this one will probably be to expensive )
- SC Pro-One

- Or do you know something better? ( Must sound analog, and I didn't like the microkorg or SH-201 )
basementmonkey

Postby Phenom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:05 pm

The Pro One should be within your budget, it's very electro. A Juno wouldn't be a bad place to start either...
Phenom

Postby Alex Hamilton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:07 pm

Looks to me like you'd want a synth with an arpeggiator. This'd limit your list to:

- Roland SH-101
- Korg Poly-61
- Korg Mono/Poly
- SC Pro-One

The Pro-One and SH-101 have the most powerful arps - they can be used as sequencers. The Poly-61 is more limited in terms of sponaneous tweaking of its interface, but you get five octaves of keys and 6-voice polyphony. The MP has limited four-voice polyphony and so the Poly-61 is more versatile in this respect (the other two are monophonic). I own an MP and really like it, but if you find it's out of your budget then fair enough; of the other three, I'd probably take the Poly-61.

If you're prepared to consider modern synths, the Alesis Ion has a good user interface, one of the best virtual analogue sounds around, an arpeggiator, polyphony, MIDI, multitimbrailty, stereo output...and it's well within your budget. It also has wavesequencing, which sounds awesome...
Alex Hamilton

Postby basementmonkey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Alex Hamilton wrote:Looks to me like you'd want a synth with an arpeggiator. This'd limit your list to

thanks for the help but what makes you think that I'd want a synth with a arpeggiator?
basementmonkey

Pro One

Postby Reverend Sunrise » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:53 pm

The Pro One is a nasty-ass and fairly versatile little synth that really cuts well through the mix, as opposed to my sonically-obese Minimoog. Both are complimentary, though. The Pro One might be on the way to becoming my favorite mono the more that I learn to get down with it, and I think its sound is kinda a hybrid between an ARP Odyssey and a Moog. Would be great for electro type s**t.
Reverend Sunrise

Gear: Minimoog Pro One
CS-5 Solina
AX-80 Jx-8p (PG800)
Juno 6 Six Trak
Electro 3 Wurly 200/120
MPC2000xl RE-201
Band: Goldenrod

Postby Phenom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:10 pm

Maybe Alex thought an arpeggiator would be handy for tangerine dream style stuff.

I suggested a juno because they're cheap and the chorus makes evrything very warm and fizzy which can be nice for electro so I stick by that, but I also think it's crucial for electro to have at least dual-oscs, as detuning is so important to that sound. For that reason I'd rule out the 1VCO synths like the MS10, the Axxe and the SH101.

Maybe check out the Pro-One, MonoPoly, MS20, SH2 or Prodigy/Rogue? A bit more expensive, but worth it I think...
Phenom

Postby JSRockit » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 am

All of those are nice...forget the Poly 61 though.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Alex Hamilton » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:45 am

thanks for the help but what makes you think that I'd want a synth with a arpeggiator?

Arp + reverb/delay = sound a lot like TD
An arp is good for introducing variation into a sound that could be useful for what you're after. It's also just an interesting thing to explore - the fact that you say electro-house and Vangelis/TD doesn't mean that these will only be the styles you ever want to make.

But I actually think your best bet would probably be an Ion - by far the most versatile (versatility is essential for a TD sound, if you think how many areas they covered sonically).
Alex Hamilton

Re: I can't choose !!!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:47 am

basementmonkey wrote:- Or do you know something better? ( Must sound analog, and I didn't like the microkorg or SH-201 )

Alesis Ion.

It's fairly new so it won't break down on you and need some obscure expensive part replaced, it does a fantastic job of sounding analogue and has more filter characters than any of the synths you've mentioned so is more versatile, it has Midi so you can sequence it easily and back up your patches, and it's not overpriced like most of the vintage analogues that you mentioned.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Return to Buyer's Guide