Some drum machine advice

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Cam VanDerHorst
Gear: Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, KORG DS-10

Some drum machine advice

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:21 am

I went to Sam Ash on a whim today, and I happened to see a cheap drum machine, a $100 Zoom MRT-3B. After listening to various samples and watching people program and play them, I've sort of narrowed my "dream" drum machine down to an Oberheim DMX. Those who have read some of my previous posts will know that I was planning on buying a MicroKorg, and that is indeed in the pipeline currently, but I really want to learn to program a drum machine as well. Are decent DMXs rare or expensive enough to warrant buying the cheaper drum machine? Besides portability, are there any other benefits to buying the Zoom?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 am

DMX's for the most part are not really COOL GUY VINTAGE GEARtm. If you're patient, you can grab for less than $150 and sometimes lower.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:22 am

yeah they can come quite cheap indeed, but dont let that fool into thinking they arent good. definately worth every penny in my opinion with excellent sounds.

However yes... unfortunately they arent really considered CGVGTM
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:42 pm

I guess it's the lack of midi that makes them less desirable. However they have been used on many great songs. Recent ebay auctions show the prices at $300-500.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Cam VanDerHorst

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:22 pm

Ah, I thought that the DMX had MIDI. That may change things, especially because I'll be using Reason to make music for the most part. The pic in the archives here made it look like it said "MIDI" on it, I thought that there was a MIDI version out there somewhere? Is it bad of me that I really like the aesthetics of the DMX?

Wiss, I think that your 808 is about as CGVG as it gets. :lol:

EDIT: Hot damn! http://www.electrongate.com/dmxfiles/dm ... grade.html
Does anyone have one of these that they're willing to admit owning? :lol:
Last edited by Cam VanDerHorst on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Cam VanDerHorst wrote:
Wiss, I think that your 808 is about as CGVG as it gets. :lol:
dont be fooled by the 808, it's a bit overated. you can spend $200 and have those sounds. My CGVGtm drum machine has to be the Studio 440.
JSRockit wrote: Recent ebay auctions show the prices at $300-500.
The one's not being shipped off to europe are on the lower side of that spectrum.

craigslist is going to be the best place for a DMX, you won't be competing with the euro.

be patient, you can get them less than $150.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Cam VanDerHorst

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:54 pm

wiss wrote: craigslist is going to be the best place for a DMX, you won't be competing with the euro.

be patient, you can get them less than $150.
Will you guys keep an eye out for me as well? I'm going to begin trolling CL more regularly, that's for sure.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:37 am

What about a Drumtraks?

it has a different sound, but is just as easy, and has midi? similar, hopefully cheaper price range...

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:50 am

A drumtraks is definately worth thinking about.

However it dosent look as nice as the DMX, and also dosent really control as well, its just the layout differences really.

You have to get a modification for the DMX to use MIDI though.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Cam VanDerHorst

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks for your advice, guys. I do kind of dig the Drumtraks, not as much as the DMX, but I still like it. I'll keep an eye out for one of these as well. The fact that it has MIDI and a cheaper price than the DMX makes it really attractive.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Cam VanDerHorst wrote: The fact that it has MIDI and a cheaper price than the DMX makes it really attractive.
The midi is s**t on the drumtraks. you will want to get the midi upgrade from winecountry unless your sequencing it with SCI-6track

Cam VanDerHorst

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:22 pm

In that case I'm very likely to hold out for the DMX, although something you (Wiss) said earlier intrigued me...you mentioned that there are cheap sources for 808 sounds. Care to elaborate?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:27 pm

see this thread

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=40377

look for a used novation drum station

check out these new products
http://www.analoguehaven.com/mfb/

you can get a cheap sampler like the Roland MS-1/Boss and Roland SP's.

You can sample drum sounds into them and use it as a drum machine.

I could be wrong but I am 100% sure the Roland MS-1 has a sequencer in it. I just can not recall how indpeth it was.

you can download free samples or buy them.

There is a nice set for $14.00 on ebay called VINTAGE DRUM MACHINES. I was impressed with some of the kits on there.

Cam VanDerHorst

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks! I'm not exactly sure how I managed to miss that thread, though.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:31 am

wiss wrote:
Cam VanDerHorst wrote: The fact that it has MIDI and a cheaper price than the DMX makes it really attractive.
The midi is s**t on the drumtraks. you will want to get the midi upgrade from winecountry unless your sequencing it with SCI-6track
It's not a huge upgrade...mine actually has the rev 2 chip, there is one that is slightly better I guess...it's like $15 chip from winecountry...

But I am currently just syncing it with an MEK...waiting for a new Machinedrum to arrive next week...I used to sequence it from an older MD and it was pretty awesome...I'd selectively mix individual outs back w/ the MD sound...

I know I sound like a true believer in the Drumtraks, but other than my Juno and two guitars, it's the only thing that survived my sell it all and start from scratch initiative...

A note on the individual outs, it makes it fun to use w/ semi modular as well...this week, I've been messing around with triggering the arp on the juno with the bass, and the HH is triggering the ADSR on a filterbank that is processing the juno, making some pretty complex rhythms...just processing one of the outs like the HH or Snare w/ a ring mod, can add an entirely other dimension to the sound...

OK, so I like the Drumtraks, but I also like the DMX too. I regret not buying the last one I ran into - it was paired with a DSX...8 CV and Gate outs :shock: