monomachine advice

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

monomachine advice

Postby sam » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:24 am

I have been offered a monomachine...I need to know from users here.

Is it good for percussion...

How does the synth parts compare to a waldorf Q.

Cheers.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby JSRockit » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:26 pm

The percussion is alright... I stole this off the internet:

A total of 24 percussive sounds are available in the BeatBox. The sounds fill two octaves starting at C-3.

C-3 - Bass Drum 1
C#3 - Snare Drum 1
D-3 - Tom 1
D#3 - Tom 2
E-3 - Bongo Congo
F-3 - Clap
F#3 - Rim Shot
G-3 - Cow Bell
G#3 - Closed HiHat
A-3 - Open HiHat
A#3 - Ride Cymbal
H-3 - Crash Cymbal
C-4 - Bass Drum 2
C#4 - Snare Drum 2
D-4 - Timbale
D#4 - Aggobell
E-4 - Timpani
F-4 - Snap
F#4 - Wood
G-4 - Triangle
G#4 - Shaker
A-4 - Maracas
A#4 - Whistle
H-4 - Blipp

The sounds are repeated for the octaves above and under with adjusted pitch. I've been told the sounds are similar to Simmons and Emu SP12 sounds...but I've never used either of those, so who knows. Outside of that, there is so many different synthesis types, you can built your own very easily.

I've also never used a Waldorf other than the Blofeld. The Monomachine's uniqueness is in its sequencer and how that sequencer interacts with the synth sections. It is very digital sounding...no matter which synthesis method you choose. If you aren't going to use the sequencer, I would buy one...there are better synth for players.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby sam » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:14 pm

Cheers ..I am looking for making interesting perc loop..?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby JSRockit » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:10 pm

sam wrote:Cheers ..I am looking for making interesting perc loop..?

It definetely can be done with the Monomachine, since you have parameter locks and delays, sample rate reduction and a bunch of LFOs to work with. However, with the synths you have, and if the focus is drums, why not go for the Machinedrum?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby RobotHeroes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:11 am

Offered for cheap? A used classic version usually goes for around $1,000(US). If less then cool if more than $1,100 you might as well get a MKII version for the recently released wavetable features.

I have had a Monomachine for almost a year and I prefer the Machinedrum-UW. They serve different purposes yet back each other up. The Monomachine is a synth that can do percussion and the Machinedrum is a percussion synthesizer with, you guessed it, good synth qualities(16 LFO's and the sort).

That being said a Monomachine can do interesting percussion sounds. It doesn't sound like any other synth to me. Interesting doesn't always equal usable though thus making it a matter of preference. The beatbox sounds are ok. It's a clean sounding synth really. With the various synthesis types it has and the control you have you could come up with some sounds. I have not used a Waldorf Q so I can't compare them but I don't think I would get a MnM if I was looking for percussion...unless it's a good deal. (Looking at your setup I would be too busy with the ARP2600 to care about a Monomachine :lol: )

The Waldorf Q has 4 envelopes? They sound interesting(loop, one-shot, bi-polar). Have you used those 3 envelope functions much? How about those other oscillator algorithms and waves? I was close to buying a Q locally last year but I didn't get it. It's not in your sig so is this your other choice?
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Postby sam » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Thank you for all the advice given...I will keep hold of my Q as it is a very good synth that offers a good balance to the analogs.

And yes the ARP gets a lot of use... :D

I am getting a old Empc drum machine soon.

:D
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to Buyer's Guide