Compressor for TR-909 BD/Kick

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Compressor for TR-909 BD/Kick

Postby Low_Fi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 pm

I produce mainly oldschool Brooklyn style techno (think early 90’s Joey Beltram/Frankie Bones/Adam X/Lenny Dee tracks) and I’m currently in the market for purchasing a dedicated compressor for my TR-909 BD. I’m torn between two options and I’m hoping you guys can help me out. My budget is around $1400 and I’m considering the following:

Option 1: Focusrite Compounder ($600) and SPL Transient Designer 2 ($725)
The Compounder/Transient Designer combo will allow me to both compress the kick and shape the envelope to my liking. However, I’m wondering if the additional control offered by the Transient Designer is really redundant considering that you have substantial control over the BD envelope on the 909 itself (in addition I’ve also modded the BD with the Colin Fraser mods - http://www.colinfraser.com/tr909/909mods/909mods.htm).

Option 2: EL8X Distressor w/ Brit Mod ($1475)
The EL8X Distressor seems to be a standard pro choice for compressing kicks and would seem to be suited perfectly for this task as well.

For the style of techno I’m into, my kicks in each track are heavily compressed, often distorted, and need to sound huge and punchy (which I guess is true of almost every form of EDM). To get these results I’m unsure which option from the above to choose.

So what say ye? Please help me spend my money wisely. Thanks!!
Low_Fi

Postby Low_Fi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:38 pm

Oops. Even though this is a Buyer's Guide question, I'm not asking for synth advice specifically. Mods, plz move this to the Sound Production forum if appropriate. Thx! :lol:
Low_Fi

Postby Jack Spider » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:43 am

You're in the right place, Lo-fi - Buyer's Guide covers anything from the other forums - FX/outboard, software, samplers and of course, synths and keyboards.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:15 am

That's a pretty nice tough decision to be faced with. :D

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either choice, but personally I'd probably go with the Distressor. You've got a fair bit of envelope control already and from my limited use of the Distressor and the Compounder I'd go the Distressor.

I haven't used the Transient Designer though, but I was under the impression that it was mostly for live drums, to give the kind of control you normally already have with a drum machine.

You could always get the Distressor now and the TD2 later. :D I dunno, maybe find a place that has them all in stock and go and try them out.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby JSRockit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm not an expert, but I don't see how you could go wrong with the distressor. It seems to be a good go to box for this purpose.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to Buyer's Guide