Good budget guitar amps?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Good budget guitar amps?

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:49 pm

Okay I know this is "Vintage Synth Explorer" after all, but considering that many people here are likely to be into guitars too I think this is worth a shot. Maybe it'll be a welcome change from the other topics here in Buyer's Guide. ;)

Anyway these are the basic requirements:

- Would prefer it to be a combo
- 15-50W should be fine
- Line out and/or a loop return would be handy
- Is reliable
- Is easy to use
- Is flexible enough to approximate most guitar tones (rock/pop/blues/country - don't care for metal, punk or super high-gain stuff)
- Records well
- Isn't over $300 (£150).

And most importantly:

- Sounds GOOD. I don't care if it's valve, solid-state, hybrid, digital modelling...as long as it sounds awesome.

I'll most likely be using it with a Ibanez Gio superstrat and 1978 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold top.

So far I've been considering either a Vox AD15/30, Roland Cube or Marshall AVT20/50. Thoughts?

Cheers guys. :)

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 pm

not exactly what you mentioned but i used to have an AVT150 head, wouldn't particularly recommend those, actually liked their VS heads better. under $300 and over 15w is tough, but go tube if you can. pretty sure most fender combos have a line out.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Vox Pathfinder 15R : sounds great, has a Gain Boost button for some extra grit, decent built-in spring reverb and tremolo, has line out and speaker out (if you want to run just the amp to some larger speakers), it's small and lightweight, and you can't beat the price. I like mine so much I think I'm going to buy a second one soon and try some stereo guitar stuff.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 pm

I have a AD30VT.

Guitar wise I have a Epiphone dot and Inbanez RG something.

Anyway it sounds great with the dot but the Ibanez... well I'd recommend you try it out if possible with your guitars and see.

The built in effects and line out are pretty handy.

On the AD30 (missing on the 15) there is a knob which adjusts the output wattage.

I can't imagine though that one amp would be good for both guitars.

basssdude34
Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Post by basssdude34 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:00 am

Save up a little and get a line 6 flextone 3....most flexible amp ive ever played....great for modeling...Maybe you could find a flextone 2 for around your budget....great amps...i swear by em

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:43 am

I have always enjoyed small silvertone amps....can be had at garage sells for $5 to $10 bucks...perfect for recording in bedrooms.

look for a Fender Bronco or Fender Musicmaster Bass amp (great for guitars)

Roland JC-70(hard to find) or Roland JC-90.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:12 pm

The current Roland Cube series is worth checking out. The more obscure Roland JCs can be had for cheap, but you'll need to buy some sort of distortion or overdrive pedal for distorted tones, as they're very clean sounding and the onboard distortion isn't of much use.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:18 pm

The Roland cubes and the Line6 spider series are both worth checking out in your price/ feature range.
you can't fix stupid

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:04 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Vox Pathfinder 15R : sounds great, has a Gain Boost button for some extra grit, decent built-in spring reverb and tremolo, has line out and speaker out (if you want to run just the amp to some larger speakers), it's small and lightweight, and you can't beat the price. I like mine so much I think I'm going to buy a second one soon and try some stereo guitar stuff.
Good shout. Unfortunately Pathfinders have been discontinued in the UK for quite some time and as a result are fairly tricky to get a hold of.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:56 pm

May be slightly out of your range - depends if you can find one second hand - but I heartily, thoroughly recommend the Peavey Classic range; they sound great IMHO.

basssdude34
Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Post by basssdude34 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 pm

I just checked the price on Flextone IIs and there right in your price range if you use music-go-round or guitar center.com....ive also seen the flextone III for around 300......In my opinion best amp since you have so many genres in mind....and these arent limited to just clean or distortion...they have a bunch of different amp models and cab models that allows you to mix and match them....

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:44 pm

My brother has a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt he bought for $100 and it sounds awesome. Even his cheap Squire sounds good through it. And you can get the 75 watt for $300, it has more effects and what not on it than the 15 watt so I'm sure it sounds even better. Here's a store that sells and offers info and reviews on it: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp I haven't ran any synths through it though being afraid to blow it and owe him $100. I do know for guitars it sounds good.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:54 pm

wiss wrote:I have always enjoyed small silvertone amps....can be had at garage sells for $5 to $10 bucks...perfect for recording in bedrooms.

look for a Fender Bronco or Fender Musicmaster Bass amp (great for guitars)

Roland JC-70(hard to find) or Roland JC-90.
Great call on the silvertones...and I like quite a few of the cheap 1960's Gibson amps, like the Falcon...

You can still nab a 1970's champ now and then...and if you need a big amp, I have seen a few fender "bandmaster" heads go for around $300...you'd need to find a cabinet though...

Then, if you are handy with a soldering iron, Ted Weber sells some pretty awesome looking kits for around $400, 1950's and 1960's american and English amp clones...you build em, point to point...

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:57 am

+1 on the Pathfinder 15R. I use mine all the time and it sounds good for guitar, synths, and combo organs. In the same power/price range, I have a Marshall MG15CDR and it is also a good amp for the money.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C