First real hardware synth. Should I get...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

First real hardware synth. Should I get...

Postby sillraytv » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:41 am

An Ms2000 or a waldorf blofeld?
i play piano already and love the ms 2000 for its versatility, sounds and vocoder, but it kind of sucks that it only has four voices. But the blofeld doesnt seem as versatile, doesnt have a vocoder and is more expensive.
please help me out
!
sillraytv

Postby basssdude34 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:00 am

Id get the MS 2000 to start with...more options and you wont get bored...and with 4 voices you could probably expand on them alot to make it sound more interesting...since its just a synth thats not to big a problem...you could still play some chords...but yea go for the MS...more options for less.....
basssdude34

Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Re: First real hardware synth. Should I get...

Postby Yoozer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:16 am

sillraytv wrote:But the blofeld doesnt seem as versatile

The most important part is that you should like the sound of the thing.

However, to say that the Blofeld isn't as versatile is silly. It's got:

- the wavetables that hold up their own and do more than what the DWGS in the MS can do (namely, smooth transitions).

- dual filters with each of 'm having more "modes" than the single filter on the MS2000.

- a 16-slot mod matrix (instead of a 4-slot one with the virtual patch cords on the MS2000).

- 3 oscillators with the first 2 having identical options (all waveshapes and wavetables), the third is the same as 1 and 2 but without wavetables.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby sillraytv » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:27 am

is there anyway you could add a vocoder to the blofeld through an adapter or what not, or its just not an option.
sillraytv

Postby braincandy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:49 am

For your first synth, find something that's easy for you to use, or if you aren't able to audition it, something that you feel would be easy enough for you to use. Versatility/specs are great, but I've gotten more enjoyment out of synths that I was actually able to get my ahead around vs. synths with lots of versatility/capabilities and a steep learning curve. If you get something and outgrow it, move on to something else.

You didn't mention your budget in your question (I'm assuming you're wanting to stay under what the Blofeld goes for). That would be helpful for people offering suggestions. Secondly, the thread title implies that you're looking for your first hardware synth, so does this mean you don't have a controller if you were purchase a Blofeld?
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby sillraytv » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:15 am

Yeah im basically thinking that my budget is the blofeld and under. and yes I have a novation midi controller so im looking for a synth to hook up through that
sillraytv

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:45 pm

Having actually spent time with both instruments, I'd say the MS is prettier, has more knobs, and is easier to get around on, plus it does a better job pretending to be an analog machine (in its looks). It's a fun machine to get around on and sounds great.

The Blofeld, however, offers way more in everything except knobs to play with. During the two hour demo session my Waldorf rep led me through, I was continually blown away not only by the variety of sounds available, and how, with a little education, I was able to get deep into programming said sounds, but also by the simple fact that this tiny, little unit was capable of so much. Granted, that's partly due to my age, but if you actually sit down with the Blofeld, I'm quite sure you'll walk away from it with the same impression. It may not be your sonic cup of tea, but it certainly packs a whole lot of punch for its miniscule size.

That said, I think you're limiting yourself by thinking of just these two instruments for your first synth. Before you make such a decision (based on ?), you really need to spend some time "in the field" looking at a variety of instruments, weeding out what you like and don't like about them, what sounds you're looking for, and how difficult it will be to learn to program on each instrument.

By the way, if you're really set on an MS, you could probably pick up two rack units (you'd have 8 voices then) for roughly the price of a Blofeld and you'd have all those knobs in front of you to tweak.

Good luck!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Huppo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:By the way, if you're really set on an MS, you could probably pick up two rack units (you'd have 8 voices then) for roughly the price of a Blofeld and you'd have all those knobs in front of you to tweak.

Doesn't the mS2000 have a mode where you can join two together somehow for a genuine 8 voices? I had an MS2000r but I only had one, so I never paid attention to this. At the cheapo rate these are selling for used, buying a couple of them and linking them up sounds like a very good idea if you like the synth but are turned off by the limited poly.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.
Huppo

Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Postby seamonkey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Have you considered a used Korg Radias? I've seen them go on ebay for around $600USD for the rackmount version.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric
seamonkey

Postby Yoozer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:15 pm

seamonkey wrote:Have you considered a used Korg Radias? I've seen them go on ebay for around $600USD for the rackmount version.

That'd be good, too.

sillraytv wrote:is there anyway you could add a vocoder to the blofeld through an adapter or what not, or its just not an option.

No, you can't, and it wouldn't be wise to hope on this in an OS update (remember; you always pay for what you get at that very time).

VA vocoders are sort of hit-and-miss anyway. If you want to have a vocoder afterwards, see if you can get a Nord Micromodular or Novation A-Station for cheap somewhere.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby sillraytv » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

thanks a lot guys for your help, your insight is reeeeeally valuable
sillraytv

Postby sillraytv » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:29 pm

Huppo wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:By the way, if you're really set on an MS, you could probably pick up two rack units (you'd have 8 voices then) for roughly the price of a Blofeld and you'd have all those knobs in front of you to tweak.

Doesn't the mS2000 have a mode where you can join two together somehow for a genuine 8 voices? I had an MS2000r but I only had one, so I never paid attention to this. At the cheapo rate these are selling for used, buying a couple of them and linking them up sounds like a very good idea if you like the synth but are turned off by the limited poly.

Hey, would it be possible to hook up the old ms 2000 r to a new ms 2000 br?
sillraytv

Postby tallowwaters » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:44 pm

basssdude34 wrote:Id get the MS 2000 to start with...more options and you wont get bored...and with 4 voices you could probably expand on them alot to make it sound more interesting...since its just a synth thats not to big a problem...you could still play some chords...but yea go for the MS...more options for less.....

What knowledge are you basing this on?

We have a rule here that specifically states people who dont have the knowledge shouldnt make statements they cant back up with first hand experience.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: LC-MS/MS

Postby basssdude34 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:25 am

I was just saying what i would do....I've read into it but i dont have actual first hand experience....jesus didnt mean to piss anyone off...
basssdude34

Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Postby nuketifromorbit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:16 am

Its a great beginner synth and you can pick one up for about half of the cost of Blofeld. The ms2000 pretty much single handedly taught me signal flow and subtractive synthesis. Its a great learning synth and is still quite capable for a VA of its age. You have a vast variety of wave forms and the modulation depth is quite decent. However, the options are not so numerous that they become overwhelming. While I don't currently own one, I do have a Microkorg which is essentially the same synth. I love both , but I prefer the MK for its compactness and more complex arp. The ms2000 however is better for a beginner and the modulation sequencer is pretty damn cool allowing things the Microkorg can't do like wave sequencing.
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide