First real hardware synth. Should I get...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: First real hardware synth. Should I get...

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:30 am

Yoozer wrote:
sillraytv wrote:But the blofeld doesnt seem as versatile
The most important part is that you should like the sound of the thing.

However, to say that the Blofeld isn't as versatile is silly. It's got:

- the wavetables that hold up their own and do more than what the DWGS in the MS can do (namely, smooth transitions).

- dual filters with each of 'm having more "modes" than the single filter on the MS2000.

- a 16-slot mod matrix (instead of a 4-slot one with the virtual patch cords on the MS2000).

- 3 oscillators with the first 2 having identical options (all waveshapes and wavetables), the third is the same as 1 and 2 but without wavetables.
Theres no doubt that the blofeld blows the MS2000 out of the water in terms of modulation options, polyphony, etc. I'd just be careful about buying a synth with a streamlined interface, underneath which sits an extremely complex engine. In other words sometimes more features can actually be a hindrance to the learning experience. I made the mistake of picking up a Micron as my first synth simply because the specs at the time where fantastic and surpassed the competition. I would like to state that I learned how to access every function on that synth, how to work the sequencer, how to divide the keyboard, and how to work the drum machine. Sadly I still had no idea what the h**l I was really doing when I tried to create my own patches, even after buying Jim Aikins book Power Tools for Synthesizers. I can't believe I at one time scoffed at the MS2000. While I've actually come to love editing matrix's, h**l I program my MK faster than my old MS2000, I really don't think its a good idea for a beginner to pick up a synth that isn't knob laden.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:29 am

as a first synth I'd like something that:
sillraytv wrote:love the ms 2000
- I love
sillraytv wrote:for its versatility
- Good user interface (something like the MS2000 UI)
sillraytv wrote:sounds
- Great sounds that I love at first listening
sillraytv wrote:and vocoder
- Those nice bonuses thrown in 8)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:12 pm

basssdude34 wrote:...jesus didnt mean to piss anyone off...
then i wonder why he bothered to sack the temples :wink:

to the OP:

i have an MS2000 and it is one of the BEST beginner synths ever made. If you put the learning time in, it will teach you enough about synthesis to become quickly acquainted w/ many other synths quite easily. it's a great 'springboard' synth.
sure it doesn't sound like a zillion bucks, but what do you expect for $400? A Jupiter 8?
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:39 pm

I think the MS2000 is a great buy at the moment. It's got a good number of full-sized keys, the sound is classic, the interface is really good.

The Blofeld is a great synth too, but I think if you're starting out that the interface and all-in-one package of the MS2000 is better. The Blofeld would be a great second buy though.