Plz tell me what you think of my dnb setup

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Plz tell me what you think of my dnb setup

Postby XZit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:09 am

Whatsup people?
So please tell me what you think of my setup I'm planning so far for production of Drum and Bass...

Right now I have a ensoniq fizmo, virus ti 61key, macbook pro, yamaha mixer, korg emx, microkorg, and a kaoss pad 3.
I want to have everything run into the mixer -then from the mixer to a presonus firebox which goes to the labtop, then to my main amp and speakers.

Now as far as a sampler I was considering a mpc500 and just pull samples from various dnb records I have, virus TI sounds I made, and assorted drum loops from my labtop made on ableton live or reason.

So the two things I would still need to buy is abletonlive lite, presonus firebox, and a mpc500 and my studios complete.

What do you guys think about my planned setup?

pz
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Korg EMX, Korg Kaoss Pad 3, Yamaha mixer, Numark TTX turntables and Vestax Mixer, Access Virus TI 61 key, Korg MicroKorg, Casio Rap Man ;)
Coming soon:
Akai MPC500 or 1000, Firewire Mixer and Firewire interface
XZit

Gear: Casiorap Man 2 :P, Access Virus TI, Korg MicroKorg, MacBook Pro (reason, ableton, cubase, etc. etc.), tablas

Postby th0mas » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:05 pm

unless you need the battery operation of the mpc500 get an mpc1000 instead.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby GeneralBigbag » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:20 pm

What have you got for the tracking/mixing side of things, e.g., compressors/eqs physical or virtual?
virb.com/ookpikk
GeneralBigbag

Postby XZit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:24 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:What have you got for the tracking/mixing side of things, e.g., compressors/eqs physical or virtual?

As far as mixer I have a yamaha mixer with all my gear plugged into it.
On the computer I'd be using ableton live for recording and compressing etc.
I also sometimes use my kaoss pad 3 as a eq. Other then that its equing on the synths themselves or the recording software and my amp (and mixer).
I could use a inexpensive/cheap eq/compressor--any brand suggestions??

th0mas wrote:unless you need the battery operation of the mpc500 get an mpc1000 instead.

I would get the mpc500 mainly becuase of price.
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Korg EMX, Korg Kaoss Pad 3, Yamaha mixer, Numark TTX turntables and Vestax Mixer, Access Virus TI 61 key, Korg MicroKorg, Casio Rap Man ;)
Coming soon:
XZit

Gear: Casiorap Man 2 :P, Access Virus TI, Korg MicroKorg, MacBook Pro (reason, ableton, cubase, etc. etc.), tablas

Postby crystalmsc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:43 am

XZit wrote:I would get the mpc500 mainly becuase of price.

for around the price of that, the RS7000would also be a great alternative. It may not have a USB or the bigger sampling size, but for beat mangling, the loop remix, midifx and many filter/fx types (which sounds great) are dope. But the drum pad is not for anyone, as well as the mini keys which both are somehow perfect to me.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby XZit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:10 am

crystalmsc wrote:
XZit wrote:I would get the mpc500 mainly becuase of price.

for around the price of that, the RS7000would also be a great alternative. It may not have a USB or the bigger sampling size, but for beat mangling, the loop remix, midifx and many filter/fx types (which sounds great) are dope. But the drum pad is not for anyone, as well as the mini keys which both are somehow perfect to me.

ya I was actually tossed up between the mpc500, the korg esx, or the rs7000.
The reason I choose the mpc500 over the other two is because of the layout.
I like the ability to put drum loop samples onto different individual pads, or create a sequence of my own.
Have a pad playing a drum loop continuously, then do some bassline work on the virus.
Or record a bassline into the mpc, then assign it to a pad, etc. etc.

I'm prob going to need a bigger mixing board.
And also I choose the mpc for its size sense I may have to move it around my studio for recording various sounds/loops off of various instruments. (or just get a long cable)
Coming soon:
XZit

Postby GeneralBigbag » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:53 pm

If you're running a PC, I highly recommend the Fishfillets and Endorphin from www.digitalfishphones.com, and the Pushtec EQ from http://leftoverlasagne.googlepages.com/
They're both free, and you can go a long way with them.
virb.com/ookpikk
GeneralBigbag

Return to Buyer's Guide