I'm 16 and beginning to gig...does this rig sound good?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
stropko

I'm 16 and beginning to gig...does this rig sound good?

Post by stropko » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:34 am

Yeah, I'm kinda associated with a few bands, and while none of them are ready for a dedicated keyboard player (grr) I figured it is time to upgrade from my terrible Alesis QS6.1. I'm pretty sure I'm buying Nord Electro 2 (72 key) and an Alesis Ion, as well as one reverb pedal for them to share (neither has built in reverb), and one of those awesome double stands. I would have gotten a DSI Prophet 08, but they're REALLY expensive. :/

Any comments? Suggestions?

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:10 am

What type of music are you looking to do? From what I've heard, the Ion is capable of a wide array of sounds and is one of the best (debatable of course) sounding VA's out there.

Don't know anything about the Nord, though.
Well fffff.

stropko

Post by stropko » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:16 am

Classic rock and modern rock stuff...covers and original. I'm pretty set on the Nord (it's a pretty fantastic piece of gear), I was more asking about the Ion.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:26 am

It would seem to suit you then. An official sound demo of it showed how it could emulate sounds from old songs of the 70s and 80s. Stuff like The Who, Journey, etc. I can't find the demo now, but it impressed me when I heard it. Don't take my word for it fully though, just keep checking out demos online and maybe hear from some actual Ion owners.
Well fffff.

stropko

Post by stropko » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:31 am

Yeah, plus, I can always just get sawtooths, triangles, squares, etc, and just alter them to suit what I'm doing...it seems pretty versatile.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:48 am

stropko wrote:Classic rock and modern rock stuff...covers and original. I was more asking about the Ion.
that's what I actually got it for. I just love the lead sound of the ION for those type of music.
Last edited by crystalmsc on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:52 am

Reverb pedals are a waste of money for a keyboard rig. Spend your money on a rack mount multi effects box instead, and maybe a little mixer too.

stropko

Post by stropko » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:05 am

madtheory wrote:Reverb pedals are a waste of money for a keyboard rig. Spend your money on a rack mount multi effects box instead, and maybe a little mixer too.
Is that something that could be brought/accessed easily while playing gigs? I don't think I would have any problems adding effects in recording.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:25 pm

Ya, it's an essential part of a gig rig. A rack with a mixer, effects, and maybe a few rackmounting synth/ sampler modules also.

I always have my own keyboard amp coming off the monitor outs of my mixer, and FOH gets a stereo balanced line. That way, all I need in the foldback is vocals, which suits everyone else in the band and makes FOH's job easier.

stropko

Post by stropko » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 pm

Hmm..I thought the onboard effects (both of which have plenty to speak of) would have sufficed. I originally just thought of having the two synths would have sufficed (this isn't really a big time thing--maybe when I start playing bigger venues I could upgrade but I just need a basic setup for now)..was I wrong?

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:10 pm

The Ion, and I think the the Nord, both lack reverb, so certainly something sat in a rack will be more cost effective long term than some pedal based effects.

Cheap used multi effects can be found easily in used lists or on ebay.

The Delay on the Ion is also not the best in the world and you should look at that as well.
You always want just one more Synth!

stropko

Post by stropko » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:38 pm

Yeah, plus I bet I could get some crazy effects by doubling up the onboard with the module :p

Where would I keep this module for easy access while I'm gigging? Would I need two or could I plug both into one?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:45 pm

stropko wrote:Where would I keep this module for easy access while I'm gigging?
In a rack box.
stropko wrote:Would I need two or could I plug both into one?
That's what the mixer is for. Connect all your synths, the effects unit and your keyboard amp to the mixer. It's the neatest, easiest way to control it all.

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Re: I'm 16 and beginning to gig...does this rig sound good?

Post by BluMunk » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Sounds like a good combo (though I've never played the Nord, it tends to get great praise).

The Ion is a very powerful and versatile synth, and for the money, you can't do better, IMHO.

Don't go knocking your QS6.1 either. Granted as far as synthesis goes it's a bit limited (and quite challenging to program), it's got a wide range of samples you're not going to get on your Nord or Ion. The Nord is going to provide you only with organ/piano/e.piano sounds. Any other sample-based sounds you might want you still may want to carry around your QS (I'm thinking strings, horns, and bass patches specifically).

If you don't need any of that, then no worries, but it's something worth thinking about before buying the Nord.

ETA: I've used a QS7.1 as a mainstay for 10 years of gigging, and while I've added to my rig over the years, I still have the QS as an always useful, lightweight workhorse. Adding some Q Cards (vintage synth and vintage keys) to it really helped the 'synth' side of things as well.

propel

Re: I'm 16 and beginning to gig...does this rig sound good?

Post by propel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 am

I'm building a very similar rig, nord electro 2 61 key (which i LOVE, amazing sounds, highly recommend it) and a alesis micron (which i'm ordering this week)

people here mentionned a mixer, which i really don't know anything about

could you guys maybe give a example of a mixer or two that would do the job?

thanks