Ribbon controllers

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Ribbon controllers

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 pm

Hello there,

what kind of ribbon controller would you suggest I should use with a LP?

It seems this might be an option, but is it long enough to play melodies accuratly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIBBON-CONTROLLER-C ... dZViewItem

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Re: Ribbon controllers

Post by Synthacon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:46 pm

The one from Doepfer would be a better bet maybe depending on your budget.
You always want just one more Synth!

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:33 pm

The doepfer-option is really good, but as you mentioned rather expensive...

Any other suggestions?

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:47 am

[-o<

ndkent

Post by ndkent » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:57 am

There were never many companies building them at all, let alone as add-ons. I guess prior to Doepfer, Kurzweil had a midi-only one back in the 90s. I guess they were pretty expensive new, didn't sell, then got blown out for cheaper, but that was long ago and you don't even see them used a lot.

I remember seeing DIY thing or 2 online about making them yourself, possibly with old VHS tape or something. Doubt it's very precise or durable but I don't think you will find a prebuilt one for cheap unless someone who doesn't know what they are sells one.

chromium

Post by chromium » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Ribbon controllers can be a bit labor intensive to build - especially when you get beyond the DIY versions, and attempt to make them more durable and reliable. I'm speculating that this is one reason why more manufacturers are not playing in that space. Considering most vintage Moog ribbons seem to go in the >$800 range, I think the Doepfer ribbon is a pretty good value, especially considering they offer CV and MIDI, gate signal, and pressure sensitivity.

MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:It seems this might be an option, but is it long enough to play melodies accuratly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIBBON-CONTROLLER-C ... dZViewItem
I'm the one building those. They are intended to be a simple, compact, low-cost, CV-only alternative. One thing that helps for pitch control is that their response has more of an exponential curve to it. For example, with my SCI Pro-one, the 8" ribbon has about a 5 octave range. The lower 2/3 of the ribbon covers only about two octaves - making it possible to play pitch more accurately in that region. The top end of the ribbon has a more drastic curve, which is nice for sweeping filter cutoff, Moogerfooger effect parameters, etc...
Regards,
Joe

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:38 pm

That's a really nice looking CV ribbon. I wish there was a longer ribbon strip, I would buy it.

I used the CS80's ribbon and really enjoyed it's length, that's history as I now use the ancient Expressionmate, not the new generic one, but the older model. It works great for my analogs as well as DSP based synths, I will be using it with Solaris when it's released also, but for my analogs I would love your ribbon and buy one if it could be twice the size.

Maybe I could get use to a little shorty, h**l for a buck and a half you can't lose.

Glad to see someone is keeping our old FAT Bastards alive. =D>
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:04 pm

I have a couple of the Kurzweil ribbons which were sold as the Expression Mate package, which also has a box with arpeggiators and extra pedal inputs & a BC input. The ribbon has terrific functionality, it can be setup for chromatic pitchs, continous slide, relative & absolute positioning, triggering arps, etc. Definately a great used buy if you can find one, and deal with MIDI only.

I think Big City Music might have one.

Regards,

MM
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com