Korg Poly 6 Symptoms

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Korg Poly 6 Symptoms

Post by EmptySet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:59 pm

What are the symptoms of a leaky battery in a Poly 6? Will a leaky 6 play any sound at all? I've got a chance at picking up a "fixer upper", but I want to know what I'm getting myself into first. The synth makes some sound, but it sounds like an lfo is on full throttle. And when you click the preset buttons, more than one lights up at a time. Aren't they supposed to light only one for whichever preset you click?

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Korg Poly 6 Symptoms

Post by sam » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:11 pm

It's not just replacing the battery.
The acid destroys the tracking and chips around the affected area.

I have done a number of these repairs so unless you are good at electronics don't bother.

Check out the old crow site....Loads of info.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Right, I know about the acid eating the board. I'm good with electronics, so I'm considering tackling it. But how does the synth typically behave when this leak happens? Will it play sounds still? I'm trying to diagnose this thing third hand until I can get a chance to peek inside.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Dead patch memory, controls don't do what they are supposed to, modules of the synth (filter, effects board) aren't fully working. I think it's safe to say that anything that isn't either a dead pot/SSM chip or power supply failure is likely to be related to a battery leakage.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:20 am

The poly 6 i had started loosing the memory, soon it hadn't any at all. I took it to a tech, he cleaned up the mess, but the memory somehow was lost, so it kept functioning like an analog polysynth without patch memory. Then, i sold the thing.
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by EmptySet » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:50 am

Thanks all! The fact that the preset buttons sometimes light more than one at a time leaves me reticent. The nice resource mentioned above says that the battery goo affects precisely this board.

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:57 am

BUYER'S GUIDE (and borderline HELP). Moved (tp BG).

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:47 pm

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:The poly 6 i had started loosing the memory, soon it hadn't any at all. I took it to a tech, he cleaned up the mess, but the memory somehow was lost, so it kept functioning like an analog polysynth without patch memory. Then, i sold the thing.
That is exactly what happened to mine. I'd get a warble sound (like a malfunctioning LFO) if I held a key for more than 2 or 3 seconds. I ended up having Old Crow build me a new board as he had offered on his website. What he does is take the processor and some of the IC's off the original board and mount them onto a completely new KLM-367 board that he makes himself. It took a long time to get repaired, it cost almost as much as a paid for the P6, and in the end it still would not hold memory, and I gave up and sold it.

The battery dilemma is a real shitty experience. It really makes owning a P6 very unenjoyable when you're sitting there thinking "all this for this?"
I like vintage synths....

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:47 pm

This vid has insightful tour inside the Polysix
1:18 briefly addresses the havoc battery juice can cause.

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:58 am

Sounds like you are able to view the synth in person. I would just bring a philips screw driver and pop it open. The CPU board is in the middle with that battery in plan sight. You will be able to see any leaking junk and if any traces were damaged.

Battery replacement is easy if your good with electronics, however if the traces are bad there is almost no point in fixing it up, chances are you will spend far too much time fixing it.

My Poly6 one upped that anita and has a partial done job of jumper wires on the under side of the board, and I think the work stopped premature because the wring is not correct.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:49 am

when i fired up mine it sounded just like white noise thru the filter...........but the polysix HAS NO NOISE GEN!!!
the cpu clock was leaking into all the voices and the power rails.

bill
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:01 pm

we just started working on a polysix with random modulation on the filter section, kinda like sample and hold. which would be a nice additional feature....if you could turn it off!
battery leakage can cause a number of different symptoms.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com