A dillemma:need to choose drummachine, sequencer and sampler

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
mod

A dillemma:need to choose drummachine, sequencer and sampler

Post by mod » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:43 pm

Hello everybody!

I am new in this forum, but I have been visiting this portal for a while and found it really helpful and informative.
From the very beginning I would like to apologize for my English, since I am not a native speaker (I am from that damn cold Siberia, that is in Russia =)) ).

To begin with I want to describe what kind music I am into. My greatest influences are guys from the Wax Trax record label and some others: Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Lard, Killing Joke, My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult, KMFDM, Skinny Puppy and such. I guess you got the idea =)), all those post-industrial guys. For now I am planning to do some stuff like that and after I come back from U.S. I wanna gather a band and start jamming around. Originally I am a guitar player with a very little background in synthesizers and all that electronic equipment. Most of the information, again, I got from here.

The music I am into doesn't have a lot of synthesizer parts, and most of them are pretty simple and used to generate noises, special effects and for adding to the pure sound of metal-gutars this "industrial" color.

So here we go: for now I am stuck and can not decide what piece of equipment to buy. What i need are:
1) Drum-machine to be independent of the drummer. You won't believe how difficult it is to find a good drummer back in my city.
2) Sampler. Better with the internal effects processor and the ability to load samples from the computer and with enough internal memory (i guess 16-30 megs and up).
3) Sequencer. To connect all the dots (sampler, drum-machine and synth) together.

Of course the best option is to have everything in one MODULE. I underlined module, because I am planning to use a MIDI-controller to manage all of these. Why? Just because it is really difficult to carry all the heavy and bulky equipment over the border and modules are more compact.

With my knowledge I am thinking about some combinations, such as

i) MPC-1000or500. It is good because it has sampler, effects, sequencer and drum-machine in one box and it looks really convinient for me. But what confuses me is that MPC line is widely considered as a Beat-Maker Dr.Dre style for real hustlers :D . And i am in totally different kind of music. Moreover i do not think i need the touchpads.

ii) Korg Triton. Again everything is inside, but with and internal synthesizer, so I need to pay an extra money for that. NOTE: I have already have synth, and I am not sure that I need Korg Triton sounds (i write that I am not sure, so you can persuade me in the opposite)

iii) to buy sequencer, drum-machine and sampler as separate units. It is possible, but again I do not really want to take a lot of on the plane.

iv) to buy a laptop and have everything inside. This option is kinda cool to, but for me a laptop does not associate with the "live sound" and I do not why but i really want to have all the hardware things.

My budget is not more than 1500 bucks.

I would really appreciate your help guys.

Thanks,

Gera

p.s. Sorry for the long post :oops:

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Re: A dillemma:need to choose drummachine, sequencer and sampler

Post by Suburban Bather » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:45 am

Don't let the association of Hip Hop with the MPC scare you away. Adam X uses an MPC and he makes really good dark/industrial beats with it. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=18158339

For your budget, an MPC 1000 and a DSI desktop Evolver would be perfect, IHMO

mod

Post by mod » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:13 am

thanks for the answer

Hey, how about Korg Triton?
After checking out the contents of the e-bay I figured out that it is even cheaper to buy Korg Triton.
Could you tell anything about it?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 am

Suburban Bather wrote:For your budget, an MPC 1000 and a DSI desktop Evolver would be perfect, IHMO

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:25 am

mod wrote:thanks for the answer

Hey, how about Korg Triton?
After checking out the contents of the e-bay I figured out that it is even cheaper to buy Korg Triton.
Could you tell anything about it?
Couldn't tell you anything about the Triton, never used one or looked into it.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:03 pm

MPC 2500 or 1000......avoid the MPC 500 at all cost.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

mod

Post by mod » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Hey guys, after reading your replies and reading some information now I am thinking about the following configuration

I wanna take one of the used EMU samplers, those which have built-in hard-drive, because an idea of loading samples from discettes into RAM kinda scares me...So this is gonna be my sampler and drum-machine (if i will ran out of money =(()

As a sequencer I am going to use my laptop, which doesn't boast a lot of memory (only 512 mb), but is pretty fast with its Intel Core Duo 1.6 mhz. I think this will be enough for a sequencer programm and probably even for a couple of software-synths.

Also I am gonna take one of the Lexicon MXs (not sure yet, which one) for the effect processor for my synth and vocal.

What do you think about this?

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:37 pm

yamaha rs7000.
the little green buttons make the little

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:22 am

does it really matter what we think.
In the end you have to choose the gear you want, becuase you want it.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:20 pm

mod wrote:
What do you think about this?
I think you were given better suggestions up above.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

RASP
Band: RASP

Post by RASP » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:07 am

For wax trax era industrial???

I'd look into these:
[*]Emu Emax 1
[*]Ensoniq ASR-10
[*]Ensoniq EPS-16
[*]Kurzweil K2000

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:14 am

I know Sascha used an Alesis MMT-8 and an E-mu Emulator II to start the building blocks of Naive. If you're going for the old school Wax Trax sound, then maybe stick with the old school machines. Kawai R-100 drum machine, SH-101, Emax sampers, Ensoniq ESQ-1 and VFX-SD (the vfx was the main synth used on Front 242's Tyranny for You). Skinny Puppy used the ESQ-1 heavily, as well as the Emax and Mirage samplers. 242 also used a Roland System 100m, Moog Source, MC-8 Sequencer and Emulator II sampler for pretty much all of their Wax Trax releases. But that stuff will cost BIG money now =o]

I'm a big Wax Trax junkie and am slowly building up my stock of WT vinyl again after much of it was liberated from me about 8years ago.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8