A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:17 am

-
Last edited by Blackie1 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Well, I really need some suggestions for a first synth.

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 am

You know the Junos both have 61 keys? You know the Micron has hardly any knobs and a tiny LCD screen? In fact the only one you mentioned that meets all your criteria is the K-Station.

I think you should get an MS2000 though, 25 keys is severely limiting IMO.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:17 am

the x-station is nice for that, I like some of the fx on it, mainly the distortion. plus it got a nice aftertouch.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:01 pm

Yeah, I know the Junos have 61 keys. But like I said, I'd be willing to go over the small amount. But, I'd like it for compactness. And I also know that the Micron only has 3 knobs and stuff, but those two are synths that I'd been considering before I realized that I'd be needing more knobs. So I put them there anyway.

So the X Station would be good? I'll check out the MS2000. Keep some suggestions coming.

EDIT: Alright, the MS2000 is valued at $750 and up. Soooo...no.

And one more thing. What ARE synth modules? Are they meant to be played with a MIDI controller?

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Hey, what about something like a Korg MS-10 or 20?

I know it's old and monophonic, but seems like it's be good for the noise making type of stuff that I'd be doing. And of course I could always get an external sequencer or sampler. I also really like the semi-modular thing going on.

Would there be too many repairs involved?

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:17 pm

The new Korg R3 could also be an option. Small, light, with some controller (ok, not so many like on a MS-2000), and with allmost the same sound engine as in the Radias. And you can find them for 400 $.

Synth module, it's more a kind of sound engine, but mostly without keys. Some modules have allmost no controller, but USB connection to controll them over an USB interface. Older models have many controllers, and you can play them with a midi keyboard.

In therm of virtual analog sound modules, you can find Roland JP-8080, Korg MS-2000 R, or Roland SH-32 for a correct price. And these modules are full of pots and sliders to modify the sound. And the price tag could be under 400 $.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:21 pm

novation nova is cool...if you were looking at the k or x station.

just need a midi controller.

you could end up close to your price point.

yamaha an200 has lots of knobs (also need a controller). they are going cheap these days. i wish i'd never sold mine.
the little green buttons make the little

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:27 pm

Blackie1 wrote:EDIT: Alright, the MS2000 is valued at $750 and up. Soooo...no.
What makes you think that? They're not more than $400

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-MS2000-Synthes ... 286.c0.m14

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 pm

And one more thing. What ARE synth modules? Are they meant to be played with a MIDI controller?
I just did a search of completed listings on eBay for Kor MS2000. Only the keyboard version was $500. The rack versions were all under $400.

Yes, synth modules are synths without keyboards that can be played/controlled by other MIDI controllers (keyboard, percussion, guitar, violin, laser harp, etc.) snyths, sequencers, drum machines, computers, etc.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
What makes you think that? They're not more than $400

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-MS2000-Synthes ... 286.c0.m14
I think he got that price from here.

Blackie, the price estimates here on VSE haven't been updated in several years, and in most cases are far from accurate.

In the case of newer, VA-type stuff (like the MS2000) current values are likely significantly lower than what VSE lists; in the case of vintage stuff current prices are probably significantly higher now than what VSE says. For instance the MS-10 and MS-20 that you mentioned probably go for $600-$800 and $1100-$1500 respectively (prices can fluctuate pretty widely, but it's unlikely that you'll find either in the $400 range), right now.

As Stab and Z pointed out, Ebay is probably the best way to get a sense of current prices; include the "completed listings" option when you search.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 pm

Alright, thanks guys.

I did get the value of the MS2000 on here.

I'll check that one out for sure. So synth modules can be used with any instrument? (Well, any electronic instrument at line level??) I'll look at some.

For now I'll stick with what I originally wanted, the digital with lots of controls, and then maybe further on down the road I'll get an old analog bass or something, if I'm still into it.

What would you guys recommend, a module or keyboard?

EDIT: I was looking at the module version of the MS2000, and it said it doesn't really need a keyboard. How do you use modules without without keys?? Does it just work like a sampler, where it loops phrases and it's controlled with the....controls?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:21 pm

Blackie1 wrote:EDIT: I was looking at the module version of the MS2000, and it said it doesn't really need a keyboard. How do you use modules without without keys?? Does it just work like a sampler, where it loops phrases and it's controlled with the....controls?
1) Buy a MIDI cable.
2) Plug this cable between any MIDI keyboard/synth/modern electric piano's MIDI OUT and the MS2000R's MIDI IN.
3) Make sure both devices are set to send and receive on the same MIDI channel.
4) Play the keys.

It's honestly that simple. :)

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:34 pm

Blackie1 wrote:So synth modules can be used with any instrument? (Well, any electronic instrument at line level??)
Anything with MIDI Out will work, be it a keyboard synth, a sequencer, or a MIDI controller keyboard (a keyboard with no synth inside which just sends MIDI messages, the advantage here that these are usually cheaper than keyboard synths since they lack their own sound-generating functions).
was looking at the module version of the MS2000, and it said it doesn't really need a keyboard. How do you use modules without without keys?
The Mod Sequence buttons (used to program automatic sound parameter changes over time) on the MS-2000R can be used as a crude keyboard. Though I imagine you'd still want a real keyboard or regular stand-alone sequencer (for sequencing actual note values) in order to get the most out of the MS-2000R.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:43 pm

The Mod Sequence buttons (used to program automatic sound parameter changes over time) on the MS-2000R can be used as a crude keyboard. Though I imagine you'd still want a real keyboard or regular stand-alone sequencer (for sequencing actual note values) in order to get the most out of the MS-2000R.
Yeah, haha that's what confused me. I understand that I need a controller.

I'm very intrigued by the MS2000. I think it may be the one. But I'm not sure whether or not the module and a controller or the actual keyboard will be more expensive.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:52 pm

You should easily be able to find the keyboard version of the MS-2000 for under $400 (the last 4 on Ebay have sold for $330, $416, $309, and $386; you might be able to find an even better deal on your local Craigslist), and having everything in one piece should make for a little easier going, especially as a first synth.