A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Blackie1

Re: Well, I really need some suggestions for a first synth.

Post by Blackie1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:13 am

Alright, thanks.

I posted a want add on here, and I'll keep checking ebay and craigslist. I wont be able to buy it for a couple more weeks, so I'll sell some stuff and come up with the money by then.

Man, I just hope I don't change my mind soon.

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:16 am

Ahh man, I was just playing on the Arturia MiniMoog demo, and it's so awesome and easy to use.

Will the MS2000 have the same controls as the MiniMoog? More? Is the only difference going to be the sound quality?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:49 am

The controls are quite similar, a little different but both synths have a similar architecture.

You can download the MS2000 manual and have a read of it to get an idea of the layout and controls, I find it's usually a good idea to at least have a little look at a synth's manual before you decide if you're going to buy it or not.

http://www.korg.com/service/support.asp ... NO=MS2000B

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:16 pm

I actually found a few up close pictures of the controls and looked at them all really carefully. It seems perfect. I love all the locations of the controls and the controls themselves.

Oh, and if I got the MS2000R and a MIDI controller, would I be able to further change the sound with the controller controls?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:57 pm

Blackie1 wrote:Oh, and if I got the MS2000R and a MIDI controller, would I be able to further change the sound with the controller controls?
If they are MIDI assignable then I don't see why not.

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:04 am

The more and more I think about it, the more it seems like a smaller analog unit will be much better suited for my purposes. Plus, I may have just lost $50 out of my budget. I'm really starting to lean towards something smaller and with a little less controls.

I may have exaggerated my use for a synth a little on my first post. I'm almost fully certain a small Moog will be much better.

I've thought about the following in the Moog category:
Rouge
Prodigy
MicroMoog
MG-1 Concertmate

Highest on the list is the MicroMoog, since it has an arpeggiator. Also, does it have MIDI? Or something like it?

Obviously, there are tons more that aren't Moog, but Moog is, of course, legendary, and it's be great to own one.

The Concertmate seems great, but there is no pitch or mod wheel which is a huge downside. Also, like the Rouge and Micro, it has only one oscilator.

Anything you would recommend?

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:27 am

All of those, with the possible exception of the MG-1 (if you're lucky), will almost certainly cost you considerably more than an MS-2000.
Blackie 1 wrote:The Concertmate seems great, but there is no pitch or mod wheel which is a huge downside. Also, like the Rouge and Micro, it has only one oscilator.
Not sure whence you're getting your info (apparently not VSE), but the Concertmate MG-1 and the Rogue are both 2-oscillator synths. The Micromoog, on the other hand, does indeed only have one oscillator.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:32 am

Oh man I'm just confused from looking at all these synths.

Well, out of the Concertmate and Rouge, it would probably have to be the Concertmate, that would be the cheapest. Can the tune knob on it be used in place of a pitch wheel?

So it may be between the MicroMoog and Concertmate. Do they both have inputs for pedals?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:00 am

Blackie1 wrote:Highest on the list is the MicroMoog, since it has an arpeggiator. Also, does it have MIDI? Or something like it?
The MicroMoog does not have an arpeggiator. I don't think any of their vintage monosynths have arps. The MemoryMoog has a basic arpeggiator.

With the expection of the MemoryMoog Plus, no vintage Moog synths have MIDI. However, most Moog monosynths have CV/Gate (S Trigger on some instead of Gate) which allows control from other synths or sequencers. The MicroMoog has CV & S Trigger. MIDI to CV/Gate converters are available to play these earlier synths from a MIDI keyboard, sequencer, etc.

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:10 am

Well it says sample and hold. Does that mean arpeggiator?

So will the MG-1 only be able to be played through stereo systems? If so, than I don't think that'll work.

Man, I just keep having second thoughts on everything. A few days ago, I had no doubt in my mind that the MS2000 would be perfect, then a few hours ago I just thought that a small analog unit would be exactly what I needed, but now I'm having second thoughts again, not sure what is best.

The Rouge or MicroMoog probably won't get under $400, will they?

If not, what are some other options for small analog synths?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:29 am

Sample and Hold takes a snapshot of an incoming signal and holds it for a certain duration. The most common use of S/H is a "random" waveform for LFO's by sampling the voltage of a noise signal and modulating a highly resonant filter to create "computer noise." Of course there are many other uses fo S/H, I just pointed out the most cliche use.

Many times the S/H and arpeggiator share the same clock signal, usually a LFO. You could use S/H as a "pseudo-arpeggiator".

You can play any synthesizer or electronic musical instrument through a conventional home stereo using the appropriate cables and/or adapters. Professional musical instrumants usually have 1/4" PHONE jacks and home stereos have RCA PHONO jacks. Most electronic instruments are "Line Level" and do not require impedance matching transformers when hooking up to stereos. You'll still want to consult the owners manual.

You might find a Rogue for $400, but most MicroMoogs sell for over $500 (I've been seeing them for $600 lately).

You might want to reconsider the MS-2000. Newer virtual analog synths are a less expensive way to get started with electronic music than vintage analogs.

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:49 am

Alright, it's done, the MS2000 is it. I'm just being ridiculous. I know that's the best option, I just keep having all these second thoughts about analog stuff. Not sure why.

Thanks guys

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 am

Yeah... go for the ms2000...
You will learn tons about synths on it, and that will be totally transferable to any future synths you own...

(just a headsup - your midi controller thread is not (may not) going to get any answers because most people here can't be bothered answering questions that you can't easily answer yourself with a little effort and google)

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Alright, thanks.

About the MIDI thread...
I have looked all around at tons of music sites, but still have found nothing. I've tried to get an answer.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:01 pm

You've gotta be kidding... for a simple midi keyboard?

I input 'midi keyboard' into google.. guess what I found! :wink:

http://www.midi-store.com/

(you still have to navigate to the midi keyboard section... but I'll leave that to you...)

Also, please excuse the tone of this message, but it's about as good as it gets on this sort of topic here :o