good way to start modular?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Re: good way to start modular?

Post by novielo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:10 pm

chamomileshark wrote:When I was thinking about a modular I was thinking about several things;

2. Price bracket
3. Number of companies in that format. If I was going to take a while to build a system you probably need for there to be more than one company, just in case they stop for some reason.

There is a modular forum at http://www.modularsynth.net/index.php
and that brought you to a wiard 300 series???
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:31 am

well yes. I had the Blacet modular first. So that was reasonable cost, small modular with lots of other companies in that format. I'd joined the e-mail list and seen what customers were saying.

as for the Wiard, it was in my price bracket at the time. I was buying a complete system in one go and I'd had conversations with Grant, kept and eye on the Wiard e-mail list to make an assessment.

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:46 am

i understand how you made it now, and i can't deny, from what i've heard that wiard sounds very, i mean, very good. plus, i think they are the most inspiring looking.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

voltage

Post by voltage » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:02 pm

I love the Doepfer range.

http://www.doepfer.de/home.htm

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:46 am

I like the doepfer range as well for the module prices and number of modules offered. Their case prices are a little on the high side. I also haven't heard any glowing reviews of their oscillators or filters either, but I have my moog gear to handle those chores, I mainly need a VCA, Envelope Generators, LFO's, Sequencer , and MIDI/CV modules to start with.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:16 am

chamomileshark wrote:There is a modular forum at http://www.modularsynth.net/index.php
Another modular forum here as well, with cats http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

I love my 22space .com system. I've never used any other modular systems(unless you count Moogerfoogers), so I can't give any comparisons. It sounds great to my ears though and V/Oct. and 1/4 inch jacks makes it perfect for interfacing with my Moogerfoogers :D

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:16 pm

Actually, after looking through the .com stuff, that would probably fit my initial bill the best, as it does offer a low cost option to start (power supply and rack frame for only $160, I already have two or thee empty rack cases around for mounting), inexpensive modules, and uses 1/4" jacks which makes it easier to patch with my Moogerfoogers.

If I need a few more exotic modules in the future, I can always pick up a Doepfer minicase and get some euro modules.

Thanks for the links to the modular and muff's page. I had thought about building a power supply, until I read Muff's post!

If I did have the money, that kraftzwerg setup is hard to beat for functionality and sound, especially after hearing some Synth II demos!

Thanks again for the topic and the responses

novielo

Post by novielo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:19 pm

i was also looking for the .com in first place. but i didn't go that way because shipping would have been 15$ more every month +75$ more for the delivery of the case and power supply.that would have change the price from 1440$ to 1695$ and the exchange is going down again for us (canada) and from what i can see it will continue to go down, so it would be even expensive. i went for a mfb kraftzwerg, great little beast, everything and more (3 osc) then the .com for 899$ can. but i think i buy some modules from them to complement the mfb, but no the whole rig.