Easy to program Oberheim

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
DJ Axon

Re: Easy to program Oberheim

Post by DJ Axon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:06 pm

it's half a matrix12 as far as i know....

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:35 pm

Oh, but the panel looks exactly the same..half amount of voices but same features?

DJ Axon

Post by DJ Axon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:30 pm

aye just 6 voices compared to 12 but i'm just reading this off the vintagesynth description - i think the Xpander has other enhancements but i'm not an owner - some lucky bugger on here's bound to have both so maybe they can comment further....

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 pm

DJ Axon wrote:aye just 6 voices compared to 12 but i'm just reading this off the vintagesynth description - i think the Xpander has other enhancements but i'm not an owner - some lucky bugger on here's bound to have both so maybe they can comment further....
i'm pretty sure the Matrix-12 never had the CV inputs. it also lacks individual voice outs- but this was an optional upgrade which is why you see a side-panel on some M12s. plus, the Matrix-12 is crippled with a 25-year-old 5-octave keyboard- that's not as sarcastic as it might sound. but 12 voices of complex goodness!

the Xpander also had a 3rd party mod right out of the SF bay area called the øddernmart Xpander Xpansion which added 6 external INs, one for each voice. this was either mounted on the side of the Xpander or right over the Xpander logo on the back, i know Trent Reznor has one of them. i'm not aware of any M12s that had this or a similar mod. basically, it works by replacing the noise source on any given voice with the external input once you plug a cord into the new jacks you install.

the voice architecture is identical.

compare (ignore the big security anchor on the back):

Last edited by xpander on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:11 pm

Ah, so THAT's where Alesis picked up that idea from. The Andromeda has 8 voice outputs. 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc. Never needed it, though..I don't have 8 speakers. :roll:

Very similar to the above :)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Bitexion wrote:Ah, so THAT's where Alesis picked up that idea from. The Andromeda has 8 voice outputs. 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc. Never needed it, though..I don't have 8 speakers.
if you take advantage of its multitimbrality, you can eq & run effects seperately- that's what i use them for.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:59 pm

The Xpander was made first (1984, I think) and the Matrix 12 later ('85 ?). As xpander already pointed out, the XP-1 has the CV/Gate inputs and individual outs for each voice. The original M-12 did not have individual outs, but were later upgraded with I/O's and aftertouch keyboard. I understand it is a very easy procedure to add I/O's to earlier M-12's. Other than these differences and number of voices, they are the same machine (voice engine, that is).

XP-1's were manufactuered in both USA and Japan. The US models are supposedily the most sought after, something to do with the electronics. As far as I know, M-12's were only made here in the States.

While we're pimping out photos, here are some I took as soon as I received my Xpander and before I shipped the Matrix 12 off to a lucky recipient in The Netherlands:

Here is a photo I grabbed from the Vemia website earlier this year for a unique Matrix 12 that was auctioned:

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Great pics...they show how big an Xpander is, in size. Allmost as large as a Matrix 12 ! And both are sounding "big" ...
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

analogholic

Post by analogholic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Z wrote:The Xpander was made first (1984, I think) and the Matrix 12 later ('85 ?). As xpander already pointed out, the XP-1 has the CV/Gate inputs and individual outs for each voice. The original M-12 did not have individual outs, but were later upgraded with I/O's and aftertouch keyboard. I understand it is a very easy procedure to add I/O's to earlier M-12's. Other than these differences and number of voices, they are the same machine (voice engine, that is).
There is one more thing that´s different.

The Matrix 12 has a Voice detune feature in multipatchmode.
It´s THE s**t when you detune and pan voices in unison mode. BIG difference!
Also cool to detune synced polypatches.

I had an Xpander, but to me the design and sound really comes alive in the Matrix 12.

My two cents

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:29 pm

If you want an easy to program Oberheim Matrix 6 / Matrix 1000, go for the Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08.

The specs are similar, the synth architecture is similar, the chips are similar. Lots of knobs, smaller routing matrix, no tracking generator, less sync options, less oscillators options, but the important main aspect are there.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:59 pm

DJ Axon wrote:it's half a matrix12 as far as i know....
Yes, the Xpander is 6 voice and the M-12 is 12 voice. The M-12 is also fricking huge.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

KillerSynth

Post by KillerSynth » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:02 am

Use this to programme Matrix-1000 :D
This is the extreme tool to make M-1000 useful :P
R0010920.JPG
R0010920.JPG (64.78 KiB) Viewed 2240 times

DJ Axon

Post by DJ Axon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:33 am

Wicked! thats like oberheims version of Rolands PG boxes! I never knew they existed - how much we talking?

I was just about to ask about using a doepfer drehbank or similar to program the 1000/6 but this must be a doddle to implement?

cheers

d

DJ Axon

Post by DJ Axon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:38 am

Damn! had a quick search and those things are like rocking horse s**t. Typical!!! If you ever decide to sell it or here of one for sale giz a shout please!

Even finished in Obi colourway! sick.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 pm

I think the Access programmer is a super rare thing that were produced in very small numbers, right?

So you'd be lucky to find one for sale this side of the moon..