Speaker setup

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Blackie1

Speaker setup

Post by Blackie1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:40 pm

I'm going to be getting an MS2000 soon, and I'm still stumped on the speaker setup I'm going to use. I'm planning on getting a set of big speakers from the thrift store, along with a stereo receiver as an amp. Will this be fine? How loud would it get without breaking the speakers, and how loud would it get in general?

What are some other options? Obviously I could get a combo amp, but is it true that keyboards have to have two amps for right and left? Or is this unnecessary, or untrue?

What are some **cheap** options?

Keep in mind, this is going to be LOUD.

sdconvoy

Re: Speaker setup

Post by sdconvoy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:18 pm

You dont neccisarily have to have 2 amps, unless you want to run your rig in stereo. for multisamples, of grand pianos and such, or wide ping-pong delay like effects, you lose out alot going mono... but for more basic synth sounds, basses, leads, etc that don't have much stereo effect, you'll be fine with one amp.

there are also some amps that support 'stereo' sound, but i'm not sure how good the separation is on them *shrugs* as i've never used one. i use a roland KC-550, and it's pretty loud, decently clean, altho i'm sure there are better options.

*awaits other members to join in*

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Alright, thanks.

How well do you think that speaker/stereo receiver setup would work? And if I did that, could I connect two speakers to each side to make it louder?

I need it to be very very very loud. It needs to cut through guitars and basses with tons of effects on them and drums. Our bass amp is a huge combo, how do you think that would work with the synth plugged in along with the guitar or bass at the same time? Would it just be a huge mess? Would it probably blow the speaker out?

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 pm

You need a PA or a combo to compete with the other backline.

The stereo amp and speakers from the thrift store will break. It is just a matter of time.

Trust me, I´m a profesional sound engineer.

=D>

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:00 pm

What about the bass amp situation?

waveterm

Post by waveterm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:14 pm

It wouldn´t be ideal but if the Bass amp has two inputs with separate volume controls it should work.

WT

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:24 pm

Well it has two inputs, high and low, but only one set of all the controls. High and low determines the volume sensitivity, right? Couldn't I adjust the volume on the guitars or synth to even it out?

Distortion and effects on the guitars wont effect the sound of the synth though, right?

waveterm

Post by waveterm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:11 pm

Yes, the two inputs have different sensitivities and the controls on the amp will affect both the bass and the synth.

Any effects connected from the bass/guitar to the amp will not affect the synth.

Try it out but I think you´ll end up with your own amp soon......

:mrgreen:

WT

sdconvoy

Post by sdconvoy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:14 pm

a powered PA speaker could work, or if you just had a PA, you could run it in stereo... from expirience... drums are FRIGGEN LOUD! it'll probably take some more than consumer home stereo speakers to compete with it...

also, define 'cheap' ? :D

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Well, cheap. I really only have money for the synth now, which will cost around $400, and that leaves be with nothing for an amp for a while. One PA speaker would work well? But I'd need an amp for it too, right?

Oh wait, you said powered, does that mean not amp needed?
Last edited by Blackie1 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waveterm

Post by waveterm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:34 pm

You could save up for something like this :

http://www.rcf.it/vediMacro.phtml/sLang ... roduct.htm

Sorry for the long link.

A Mackie SRM-450 is also a good choice.

Should be plentiful of second hand active powered speakers available

WT

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Well I may just have to wait on speakers/amp for now. Plus, I don't even have the keys yet.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:17 pm

A reminder to all that if you are researching a purchase, of have the intention of making a purchase, please post your threads in BUYER'S GUIDE.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Short answer part one: don't use a home stereo for anything other than what it was intended for.

Short answer part two: don't use a bass amp for anything other than what it was intended for.

Short answer part three: a dedicated keyboard combo amplifier* is your most likely solution. There are plenty of models from many manufacturers out there, so you'll have to do some research to find out which one will do what you want/need and will fit your budget.

Short answer part four: Active (powered) PA speakers generally will do the trick ala a keyboard combo amp above, but are not stereo (you'll need two). As an aside, do you need stereo separation for a live situation with your band?

Need more info? Yes, you do. There's a whole lot more to this than you know. Get the 2000, learn how to use it, then figure out what your band situation will be. No use putting the cart before the horse, you know?

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:32 pm

sdconvoy wrote:You dont neccisarily have to have 2 amps, unless you want to run your rig in stereo. for multisamples, of grand pianos and such, or wide ping-pong delay like effects, you lose out alot going mono... but for more basic synth sounds, basses, leads, etc that don't have much stereo effect, you'll be fine with one amp.

there are also some amps that support 'stereo' sound, but i'm not sure how good the separation is on them *shrugs* as i've never used one. i use a roland KC-550, and it's pretty loud, decently clean, altho i'm sure there are better options.

*awaits other members to join in*
Yeah I use the KC550 too. It actually can be stereo, but you have to buy two of them and @ arond 500-600 new per, I thing cost would be an issue. The option I use is my Yamaha PA. Instead of buying another KC550 I bought a Yamaha 12 channel PA I needed a PA for the band, and when the band isn't playing it's a great stereo mixer. I know you can find cheaper PAs out there that support stereo.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x