Value of an SCI Prophet 5

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Value of an SCI Prophet 5

Post by Clavier » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:08 am

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me with this. I have an opportunity to buy a one owner Rev. 2 Prophet 5. There are few details that need to be ironed out first, though. The instrument is in spectacular cosmetic condition, it looks like it's two years old at most. However, it probably going to need all new pots, Oscillator A is complete unstable within about fifteen minutes of warming up. It was dropped once and the shafts for the pots are bent on several of the functions. This does not effect much though. The only parts that dont really work are the osc A coarse tune whatever the one that is to the right of it, and the square wave switch on the LFO. The instrument plays pretty well despite this and sounds ungodly! I intend to give it a proper restoration from the ground up. I would consider osc A at this point, to be dead. So buying this P5 in as is, in need of restoration condition, what would be a fair offer to make?

-Joe
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Re: Value of an SCI Prophet 5

Post by drummy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:24 am

Personally, with the rising cost me Prophet-5s in the last year, I would say around $3,000, but start out with $2,500. Again, that's only what I think...

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:33 am

Rev 2 is the most desireable of all the Prophet's.

It has issues, make your offer based on that. Rev 2's are harder to service than the Rev 3's.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:32 am

i would pay $2k at the most, although you see them for $1500 every once in a while. stay away from eBay altogether unless you want to pay much more.

Clavier

Post by Clavier » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:43 pm

Are these prices you would pay for a working one, or one in the condition I described?
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:13 am

the cost of repairs is usually small compared to the price of the synth, i don't even care anymore. just make sure you can get a hold of some of the rare ICs if you think you're going to need them. but if you don't have a local tech who's skilled & affordable, this might be an issue.

$1500 or less would be good- a "new" SSM 2030 VCO will run you $50 or best offer on eBay right now.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:13 am

Yes, but it also depends on how many of the voices are out. Is OSC 1 gone on all five voices? A lot of techs won't even touch a rev 2, if you're going to do the work yourself than be prepared for a lot of work. That being said I wouldn't pay more than 2k for one that has been dropped and in that shape. You will undoubtedly find more wrong than you think at first I bet too.

Are you planning on fixing it all yourself? Do you have a lot of experience in repair (I'm not trying to be rude, just asking)

Clavier

Post by Clavier » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:18 am

hfinn wrote: Are you planning on fixing it all yourself? Do you have a lot of experience in repair (I'm not trying to be rude, just asking)

Yes, I plan on doing the restoration myself. I have repaired my own rear projection big screen CRT TVs on numerous occasions too, (if that's any indication of skill.)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:55 pm

A one oscillator Prophet-5 is better than no Prophet-5. But I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a synth I'd have to send to repairs immediately and spend hundreds of dollars on that too.

Sure it might sound nice, but that Osc-A problem will drive you nuts eventually unless you have the parts to fix it yourself (and the skills). Repairing a vintage synth can be a total nightmare compared to a CRT TV. And for some reason, I've also heard techs say they don't want the rev.2 prophet5. Too much hassle and outdated parts.

One of the problems is that the VCO/VCF are chips, and those chips are probably hard to find. And there's 5 of the buggers in there (one for each voice). Another issue is the digital control of all the voices, which is basically a computer. The P5 was the first synth with CPU controlled voice allocation (and patch memory). That's what makes it cycle through the voices every time you press a new key, and lets you go Unison and all the other things.

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:12 am

Clavier wrote:Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me with this. I have an opportunity to buy a one owner Rev. 2 Prophet 5. There are few details that need to be ironed out first, though. The instrument is in spectacular cosmetic condition, it looks like it's two years old at most. However, it probably going to need all new pots, Oscillator A is complete unstable within about fifteen minutes of warming up. It was dropped once and the shafts for the pots are bent on several of the functions. This does not effect much though. The only parts that dont really work are the osc A coarse tune whatever the one that is to the right of it, and the square wave switch on the LFO. The instrument plays pretty well despite this and sounds ungodly! I intend to give it a proper restoration from the ground up. I would consider osc A at this point, to be dead. So buying this P5 in as is, in need of restoration condition, what would be a fair offer to make?

-Joe
If the oscillators are labeled or being communicated to you as "Oscillator A" and "Oscillator B", then this is quite definitely not a Rev. 2, it's a Rev 3. The earlier Rev. 2 had its oscillators labeled as "Oscillator 1" and "Oscillator 2"....

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:57 pm

I actually had to go downstairs and check.... Rangoon is correct, they are labeled 1 &2.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:40 pm

In your figuring, figure that if it's been dropped, the power supply probably needs to be replaced. That's not a bad thing to do with Rev2 P5's anyway, from what I've heard.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!