Nord synth sound differences...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Nord synth sound differences...

Post by Joey » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:01 am

So I've owned a nord lead 2x before and I know how it sounds (f**k good)

and a friend of mine has a 3 that i've been borrowing and I know how that sounds (not as f**k good)

but the real question is, how do the nord lead 1, and nord modulars compare in sound

do they sound like the lead 2x?

if I was trying to pick up the 2x sound should I just go for a 2x? or will a 1 or 2 or modular sound the same overall?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Re: Nord synth sound differences...

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:39 am

A lot folks say the older Nords(modular 1 and lead 1) have lower quality DA converters on them that give a pleasantly edgier/gritty sound.

I've messed around with both the lead 1(used) and 2x at Guitar Center and they weren't really doing anything for me. I agree that they sound good, but they simply were not doing it for me. So, I did not worry about going back and forth between the two to compare any sound differences.

Hope this somewhat helps.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:54 am

Being a current owner(nord modular G1) and former owner of the original Nord Lead.

I never had any intention of buying a nord lead but a university down the street from me was upgrading thier music lab. They had a stock pile of nord leads and I took one off thier hands for next to nothing. I sat for several months attempting to make some kind of connection with the synth, I did not like it all. (The arp 2600, minimoog, and the P5 all in one my a*s) It was my 1st experience with a VA or digital snyth(outside of an EPS 16plus).

I do enjoy the nord modular much much more than the nord lead, and yes it sounds more "raw" than the nord lead.

Bottom line if you want your VA to sound as analog as possible, I say skip the nord(s) and go directly to the CREAMWARE ATB BOXES. (not trying to topic jack)

as comparing the lead 1 to the lead 2, most folks I have spoken with have enjoyed the 2 more.
as comparing the g1 to the g2, most folks I have spoken with have stated the g1 is the better sounding one of the two.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:55 pm

i've owned the nord lead 2 before... its not about it sounding analog, i just like the lead 2 sound specifically....

which is why I was asking, so if I can get the lead 2x sound with a lead 1 or 2 for cheaper, that would be great

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:09 pm

If I remember rightly, the original Lead was only a 4-voice. Over time, they added poly and a few useful features. There's a good set of reviews at SOS if you're interested in feature-comparison.

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:12 pm

I think the programmers at Clavia must be having a laugh, as people hear differences on their synths and to me they all use more or less the same algorithms :lol: . You can build a Nord Lead 1, 2 and 3 with either a Modular 1 or G2. In fact, the only significant difference between the NM1 and G2´s sound generating and processing modules that I´ve heard is the chorus, which is much better on the G2. The filters sound identical. The NL3 has the FM oscillators, distortion, etc of the Nord Modulars.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Juno6 wrote:I think the programmers at Clavia must be having a laugh, as people hear differences on their synths and to me they all use more or less the same algorithms :lol: . You can build a Nord Lead 1, 2 and 3 with either a Modular 1 or G2. In fact, the only significant difference between the NM1 and G2´s sound generating and processing modules that I´ve heard is the chorus, which is much better on the G2. The filters sound identical. The NL3 has the FM oscillators, distortion, etc of the Nord Modulars.
ermmm.. except the NL3 was made by different programmers, and does not use the same algorithms (AFAIK) hence differences in sound.

Joey, I have heard that the G2 does not sound as good as the G1, BUT there is a set mini patch that someone over on electro-music.com created that acts as kind of an acoustic filter that apparently gives a more natural sound. Interestingly this does not automatically make the G1 sound better (as I guess it sounds better to start with)

but your question is a little confusing-is the SOUND the most important aspect, or the features? Obviously a G2 is the most fully featured, but maybe the G1 (or nl2) have better sound....

as far as the NL1 vs. 2-there are definitely changes on the 2 to make that worth owning over the 1. So why not just sell the 2x and get a 2?

If you want features and sound, I would say just get the G2 and find that filter patch... it apparently makes it sound a lot better.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:24 pm

I know Autechre used the Nord Lead on some of their older albums. Anybody come up with the sounds used in one my favorite Autechre tracks with a Nord Lead? I don't see why not.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:14 am

ok nobody seems to have grasped my question.

I used to own a nord lead 2x, it had a very specific sound, that I liked, but I needed cash at the time, so I sold it.

Now the time comes where I have a bit saved up to spend and get that sound back, and I'm wondering, do the other nords (excluding the 3) sound the same as the 2x?

i dont give a s**t about features, i can research that on my own

i mean specifically the sound, the bare oscillators, are they the same programming, etc

does it sound the same, much in the way that a jupiter 6 and 8 dont sound the same because they are different synths to the core

do the nord lead 1,2, modular g1, and 2, sound like a 2x, or which is the closest to the 2x sound

NOT features

thanks guys

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 am

your original three questions were answered by the reply's

you might want to read this as well, it may or may not contain the answer your looking for

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 13&t=41326

you did answer your own question: if you want the nord 2x sound again, buy it again
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:56 am

wiss wrote:your original three questions were answered by the reply's

you might want to read this as well, it may or may not contain the answer your looking for

you did answer your own question: if you want the nord 2x sound again, buy it again
you missed my point, i want to save money, if i can get that 2x sound with a nord lead 1, i'd just get the nord lead 1.

and no, my questions were not answered

i still dont know if it uses the same oscillators as the nl2x

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:34 am

Joey wrote:

you missed my point, i want to save money, if i can get that 2x sound with a nord lead 1, i'd just get the nord lead 1.

yes, yes yes... Nl1, Nl2 and Nl2x and G1 are all the same essentially. Nl3 and G2 are different. Does THAT answer it? :D
Do you even post on vse bro?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:37 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Joey wrote:

yes, yes yes... Nl1, Nl2 and Nl2x and G1 are all the same essentially. Nl3 and G2 are different. Does THAT answer it? :D
yes and THANK YOU sir ruff!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:42 am

AFAIK the 2X has better (i.e. higher spec) D/A converters before its outputs so it's bound to sound less gritty, more clean and detailed than the Lead 1 and 2. In that case the 2X might be really what you're after again - it just depends if this minor revision will make a difference to you.

And since this revision is addressed in this SOS magazine review of it, it's unlikely to be bogus info. The 2's are 18-bit whilst the 2X's are 24-bit. Probably makes a fair bit of difference then?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:33 am

ime 1 sounds grittier than 2 than 2X. i think your best bet is getting 2X again, and 2 as most close to it. and i agree 2X is their best sounding synth. ive done side by side 2X and 3, and oscilators are indeed the same, however filter sound different i.e. thinner/more harsh and uneven, when moving cutoff under resonance, on NL3.

i also really like original Nord Mod character for its specific dirtyness. bottom line, none off them nords is like ultra realistic analog emulation, but who cares, they have their own character, and sound very musical. which cant be said for many VAs.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc