Nord synth sound differences...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:33 am

I'm using the G1 and 2x next to each other on one desk and they both sounds different. Imo, the 2x osc sounds bigger and fuller than the G1, it sounds a bit smoother and cleaner which may caused of the new higher resolution converter. It has a more sparkling hi freq and have a bit more modern overall tone compared to the G1. The G1 sounds a bit more raw and analogish. Both sounds edgy to me, just complimenting each other. May be you'd be happier to get the 2x if you like it's sound rather than getting the older Nord.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Re: Nord synth sound differences...

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:38 pm

ive owned the nord 1 rack, sold it and got the 2 rack
i didnt notice too much of a sound difference between the two, i just wanted more outputs

eventually i sold the nord 2 and got the nord 3 from a friend for a good price, i liked it a lot because it had a lot more memory and i liked the design of it a lot more....the sound was a lot more clean and digital sounding, im not going to say i liked that better, but i did like it

i always wanted the nord modular sense i started my nord journey, so after selling the 3 i picked up a nord g1

i really enjoy the synth, and have had that the longest of any nord so far (3 years now?)
i did not realzie that you need to do ALL editing in the computer, which pissed me off at first, but after that i was fine

i missed the sound of the nord 3, so just reciently i found a used one on my local craigslist for a steal, so i picked that up

now i have the nord g1, and the g2, and i wont be letting go of either for quite some time, i love them both, as they are two completly different beasts

the g1 has the older gritty tone to it, and the g2 has that in a different way, along with more options, and can make much cleaner sounds

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:28 am

n3wt15 wrote: i did not realzie that you need to do ALL editing in the computer, which pissed me off at first, but after that i was fine
You can edit everything from the front panel, with the exception of adding new modules and connecting them. But all the parameters *inside* the existing modules are editable from the front panel.

n3wt15

Post by n3wt15 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:50 am

well, you have to assign each knob on the keyboard before you can edit it without the computer

I guess what I meant by that was, you cant just start from scratch on a new sound without a computer, and I didnt know that before I purchased the g1

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:06 am

n3wt15 wrote:well, you have to assign each knob on the keyboard before you can edit it without the computer
No! [-X You can edit every parameter in every module without assign it to a knob or CC. Just press "edit", then navigate with... well the "navigatior" buttons... IIRC with shift+navigator buttons you change the module you´re on...
RTFM!!!! :lol:

n3wt15

Post by n3wt15 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:42 pm

thanks, i never knew that
ive skimmed through the manul, but never read the whole thing, so i guess ill pick that back up......when im done figuring everything out in my spectralis first though lol

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:57 pm

I´ve found this:

http://sayersweb.com/studio/html/Nord_L ... sus_3.html

The NL2 filter seems to sound better than the one on the NL3 when self oscillating...

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:24 pm

Juno6 wrote:
n3wt15 wrote:well, you have to assign each knob on the keyboard before you can edit it without the computer
No! [-X You can edit every parameter in every module without assign it to a knob or CC. Just press "edit", then navigate with... well the "navigatior" buttons... IIRC with shift+navigator buttons you change the module you´re on...
although accessing all modules in a patch via the navigator buttons can be a bit convoluted.

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:02 am

kvnvk wrote:
Juno6 wrote:
although accessing all modules in a patch via the navigator buttons can be a bit convoluted.
Yep, you´re right. But there are tips for you to make it easier to navigate though, like trying to always order the modules in a certain logical order, renaming the modules describing their function/description/number (like OSC1, OSC2, etc)/etc and more.