Wurlitzer synth/organ/drum machine/tape recorder???

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Wurlitzer synth/organ/drum machine/tape recorder???

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:12 pm

I just saw something called "Wurlitzer Centura Deluxe Orbit III Synthesizer" on a local site for sale. Does anybody have a clue what that thing is all about?

Any videos? Good descriptions from sites? Personal experiences?

I've tried to find something on it, but all I seem to get is eBay ads and Craigslist offering some really bad description like "organ with synth and stuff....works...pick it up."

Is it worth getting?

- ry
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Wurlitzer synth/organ/drum machine/tape recorder???

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:54 pm

I don't know about that exact model, but I do know that the Orbit is a Wurlitzer organ with a built in half-size key synthesizer.
More and more auctions are calling old organ rhythm sections "drum machines," which is ridiculous.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:57 pm

It is an organ that includes some synth functionality. In most cases, it has 2.5 keyboards. The bottom two keyboards have basic organ voices with strings and reeds. The top manual half-sized keyboard has a basic monosynth in it, which usually includes a few waveforms an LPF, noise, some preset sounds, etc. Sometimes it will even have a poly mode. The best way to know if it's what you like is to try it in person. Electronic organs can be surprisingly synth-like. I know for a fact that this organs can be a very inspiring instrument. Whether it is or not to you is largely dependent on what kinds of sounds you like and how creative you in the use of it's features. Sometime the crappiest little organs can make some of the coolest sounds. Enjoy!
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:56 pm

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:33 am

I know where there is one for 99 bucks if you're interested. I have no room for it, but I played it and everything works. Last time I was in the little thrift shop that had it, it wasn't on display anymore. I asked the owner if he still had it and he said yes. It was at thier warehouse. It's on Summer avenue in Memphis TN.

They are cool, but not that cool. You can play Booker T stuff on it pretty well.

Sonny.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:35 am

Sometime the crappiest little organs can make some of the coolest sounds. Enjoy!
I like the Pied Piper by Hammond. Cheap, but cool.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

egdinger

Post by egdinger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:43 am

I have a wurlitzer with an Orbit III in it. It's fun, but not really useful. You can adjust "modulation" (an LFO), attack, decay, add various sine waves in either "bright" or "deep". Best part about it is that you can set it up to play through the internal leslie. Also you have preset filter and envelope settings such as "strings", "reeds", and "Banjo", only way to access some functions.