minotors

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
thosquanta
Gear: korg ds-10, ex-800, ms-2000; dotcom porta-22, nord micro modular, roland alpha juno-1, jx-3p, mc505; akai s2000, emu morpheus, red sounds darkstar
Band: thosquanta

minotors

Post by thosquanta » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:01 pm

ok, i need some monitors. i currently use a combination of headphones and computer speakers for mixing, which i am well aware is a no-no. so, i need some (preferably powered) near field monitors. i am cheap and lazy. looking to spend no more than, say $5-600, and i won't be "tuning the room" or any of that kind of thing. I can, luckily, get a lot of stuff wholesale, so anything in the big catalogs is an option - so far suggestions have been ADAM A5's and Big Sky 2.1s. Both of these are on the upper end of what i would like to spend.

The stuff i do is fairly complex - lots of synth, some guitar, some bass, lots of layered vocals, so i need something that will allow me to hear a good frequency response.

those of you who know more about production that i do (which is no small number, i imagine) - any suggestions?

i've heard some people say a few of the cheapy alesis ones are excellent, and i've heard they suck. any opinions?

thanks much!

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: minotors

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:20 pm

MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:35 pm

The correct spelling is minotaur.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:57 pm

good. someone did that so i didn't have to!! good show.
the little green buttons make the little

thosquanta
Gear: korg ds-10, ex-800, ms-2000; dotcom porta-22, nord micro modular, roland alpha juno-1, jx-3p, mc505; akai s2000, emu morpheus, red sounds darkstar

Post by thosquanta » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:10 pm

note to self: don't post online until the caffeine kicks in.

i've even got in-line spell check. this is just embarrassing!

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:12 pm

thosquanta wrote: i am cheap and lazy. [...] and i won't be "tuning the room" or any of that kind of thing.
Why even bother with monitors, then? The only advantage you're going to get is that the speakers are active and not made out of plastic.

For your budget I'd go with the KRKs. The M1 actives shown in the links need a sock in them because they're bass-heavy.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

thosquanta

Post by thosquanta » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:16 pm

i should say - i'm willing to do a bit of work, isolate the minotaurs, position correctish, move to crete, but i've seen friends spend thousands on a setup with bass traps all over the place, sound-dampening, "room tuning" (not real sure how this is even achieved, to be honest), and i don't wish to take things quite that far.

thanks for input!

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Ah, but even decoupling and adding some foam is a big difference from not doing anything at all ;).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

thosquanta

Post by thosquanta » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 pm

even my lazy a*s can put some foam under a speaker. huzzah!

and doing nothing at all would even be a big difference from the POS computer speakers i am using at the moment...

downgrade
Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Post by downgrade » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:53 pm

Yoozer wrote:
The M1 actives shown in the links need a sock in them because they're bass-heavy.

2nd that

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:36 am

I think the Yamaha MSP5As are great little monitors for mixing on, nice and cheap and honest sounding (don't hype the bass).

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:41 pm

i have a pair of event ps8s and love them to death, i had a pair of the KRK rockit 5s for a bit, but didnt care for them too much...seemed to be lacking in quality compared to the events

i have a friend who has a pair of the adams, and he says they threw him off a bit when he got them, the high end on them is super crisp sounding and it took a bit for him to get used to