need help choosing a polysynth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
lionsroar

need help choosing a polysynth

Post by lionsroar » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:58 pm

im in need of a nice polysynth but i cant decide which one would be best for what im looking for.
right now, the only polys i've used have been a cs1x, cs2x(still have), and a microKorg(still have and i absolutely do not like, i mainly just find it all together uninspiring).
these are the ones i've considered(so far), but i think i need more input....

alesis ion
korg ms2000 (i like some of the sounds on the microkorg but i dont know if i like them enough for this one?)
novation ks4 or ks5

ive also considered these older ones:
roland juno 6 or 60
roland rs-09
ensoniq esq-1

i'd like to keep my budget around 500-550(or under)... but if i really like something i can save more...

the main sounds I WANT are strings, nice pads and maybe a piano but its not necessary.

any input would be appreciated :D
wanted: roland sh-101, moog rogue, yamaha cs-15, jen sx-1000

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Re: need help choosing a polysynth

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:54 am

I'd suggest that you look at the Roland JX-8P. The pianos are not very realistic -- you shouldn't really expect them to be with an analog synth -- but it's brilliant with strings and pads. Pretty good for basses, too. And the MIDI implementation is pretty good. They've been going for around $200 on eBay recently, which is actually a bit lower than this time last year.

That would leave you $300 left over. You could use that to get a used rompler like an Alesis QS6 -- also going for @ $200 these days -- for pianos and organs. I got to use a QS6 last month for a few weeks and I was really impressed by the acoustic patches for the price.

mirt

Post by mirt » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:18 pm

+1 for jx3p or juno 60, for pads and strings they are imo much better than new synths.

lionsroar

Post by lionsroar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:02 am

thanks for the input^^

ive been considering the 3p & 8p lately...i like both, the 3p stands out more to me because of the sequencer tho....

any thoughts on the yamaha dx11 anybody here use one they'd be willing to tell me about, or have any good links to share?? i like the fm sounds of the dx7 (not many samples of the 11 that i can find but it seems more unique than the 7), plus i think it may be a nice compliment to a 3p or 8p...
:?:

mirt

Post by mirt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:38 am

dx11 is keybord version of tx81z (or very similar), imo it's not so close to dx7 much cleaner, it has more waves but less operators and algorithms. It could be great couple with jx3p.

lionsroar

Post by lionsroar » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:06 am

mirt wrote:dx11 is keybord version of tx81z (or very similar), imo it's not so close to dx7 much cleaner, it has more waves but less operators and algorithms. It could be great couple with jx3p.

cool, thanks for your input!!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:41 am

mirt wrote:dx11 is keybord version of tx81z (or very similar),
If it's the same as the TX81Z, it's only four-operator, vs. six-op in the DX7. IHMO the four-op Yamahas are not as versatile.

As for the strings and pads, I'll add a plus-up for the Juno 60 and/or the JX3P. Note that most 60s don't have MIDI; you didn't say whether or not that was a concern. Either should go for about $400 in very good condition.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 am

lionsroar wrote:strings, nice pads and maybe a piano. i like the fm sounds of the dx7
the CS6x plus a PLG-150DX would provide those sounds nicely in a good looking keyboard. Plus another slot for an AN1x based expansion board. It's a much better synth than the previous CSxx.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums