Recommend me a compact analog synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Blackie1

Recommend me a compact analog synth

Post by Blackie1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:41 am

I've been looking into the Rogue, but I'm not sure how likely I am to get one under $400. Does anyone think this is possible?

What are some other cheaper options that I could look into?

I HAVE looked around on VSE and google, and have a good idea of what else I could look into, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

lionsroar

Re: Recommend me a compact analog synth

Post by lionsroar » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:04 am

lately rogues have been selling for $600 and up on ebay(i know i've been wanting to buy one :( ), sometimes you may get lucky on a MG-1 but even those are getting more expensive...
wanted: roland sh-101, moog rogue, yamaha cs-15, jen sx-1000

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Yeah, I really want a Rogue, or Prodigy. But neither of those are in my price range. The MG-1 might be my back up option.

It's either one of those or...digital.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:41 pm

61 posts in 2 weeks eh?
the little green buttons make the little

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:07 pm

You have been given many suggestions in the other dozen threads you have started. Unfortunately, there are no analog monos that are in your budget unless you happend to find a smoking deal on Craigslist, pawn shop, garage sale. The collective knowledge base of VSE members is awesome and if there was an analog mono within your budget, it would have already been suggested.

As I suggested in one of your other threads, you can either save up to buy exactly what you think you need or can purchase a second-hand virtual synth (several have been suggested to you) and start working right away.

Another bit of advice, you're probably inches within being banned with these repetitive posts. We're here to help, but these repetitive posts are analogous to a child continuing to ask the same question after being told "no" every time until the parent finally gives in and says "yes". Unfortunately, there is no magic analog mono synth within your budget unless you find a deal off-line.

We want to help you grow. Get back to us when you purchase your synth, whether it be soon with a VA or later with analog.

Best of luck.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Novation BassStation Keyboard
Yamaha CS01
Wait for the DSI MoPho and get a midi controller.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:16 pm

it's not analog but the Micro Nord would give much more bang for the buck
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 pm

yeah craigslist. post an ad for an analog monosynth, it's like fishing.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50 pm

Judging from the post Z made, you’re looking for your first synth and you jumping all over the place with indecisiveness and it looks like gear-lust might have hit before you have anything.

I’ll make a few suggestions to get you on your way. Jump in, stop fretting about getting the end-all be-all synth your not going to find it in your price range and you’re not going to find it if you raised your budget to $1000. There are a lot of synths and they all offer great possibilities. Sometimes you have to try a few things out to find what you really want. You won’t know this until you jump in and try a synth. Within a short time you will learn a lot about synthesis and be able to identify what you like and don’t like in that synth which will give you the knowledge to either press on with that synth or try something out with features and/or sound that better suits you.

If this is going to be your one and only synth for right now, you need to get something that is capable of covering a lot of ground. I would suggest buying an Korg MS-2000 – it sounds pretty good, has enough specs to keep you busy for a while, good interface with lots of controls, polyphonic, cheap and easy to find, etc. IMHO it is a great all around synth to start with.

Purchasing something like a rogue as your only synth is very limiting. Monophonic analog synths are great and I own some but as your first and only synth, that is a pretty limiting way to go. Stop getting hung up on having an analog synth – I think you are creating a stumbling block that you don’t need at this point. A monophonic analog synth is not a good full setup unless you have a specific style or genre in mind that only requires a single monophonic synth. Analog is great but VA will get you 80% there and you are far better off with a decent VA that can cover a lot of ground that an aging mono that is far more limited.

That brings up a good point. If your budget is so restricted, why are you even considering vintage analog gear? If that synth develops a problem as vintage gear tends to do, how do you plan on paying to repair it? Your priorities are out of whack and I think you’ve put analog(and possibly moog specifically) on such a pedestal that you’re bound to be disappointed.

Now if your just buying synth to have something that says moog on it, which is the impression I’m starting to get , than stop wasting our time and go buy the cheapest moog synth you can find. You’re not going to win a lot of friends on this forum because this kind of fetishistic idiocy is what drives the prices up on average synths in the first place. I’ve always wondered who those people are on ebay that pay high prices for a broken synth and must not realize what it will cost to repair said synth, when they could have saved money and just bought a working synth in the first place.

You got a lot of free advice that will make your life easier in the long run and as Z said, your throwing out that good advice because no one will give you the answer you want. Time to build upon your maturity level, address what it is you REALLY want and take the necessary steps to get it.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Blackie1 wrote: have a good idea of what else I could look into
By all means, go there and look, but stop making so many pointless posts.

Here, as a matter of fact, I made a thread just for you. Go nuts asking what to buy in there-

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 13&t=41847
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:02 pm

Ok, I'm done posting here, except in the classefieds. I truly am sorry for all the c**p that I put up on here.

Thanks to everyone who helped.