What kind of synths can make these sounds?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

What kind of synths can make these sounds?

Post by drummy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Hey guys. I want to know what kind of synths can make these sounds:

http://home.comcast.net/~shintchung/dar_modular.mp3

As far as I know, it's a Moog Modular (modules 921, 904A, 911, 902 to be specific) with some of the sounds going into a DACS FrEQue 1 Ring Modulator. However, I want to get close with a Moog Moogerfooger Ring Modulator. Which synths would make these kinds of sounds. Vintage synth preferred, but will also hear software synth suggestions. And please don't say Arturia's Moog Modular V, or a modern modular system. Thanks.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Re: What kind of synths can make these sounds?

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:59 pm

Sorry to say, but I believe you already answered your own question. Its either going to be= an expensive as h**l Moog Modular setup, modern modular setup(.com, Doepfer, etc...) or a software emulator such as the Arturia Moog or Arp soft synths.

You really can't go wrong with any of the choices. It just comes down to what you are willing to spend. A couple hundred for some kickass software, well into the thousands for modern modular gear, and even more for vintage Moog modules.

The best advice IMHO, is to just dive In according to your budget! The modern modular analogs sound fantastic and are much more affordable and reliable than vintage gear. If your willing to go the sofware route, the Arturia synths are top notch.

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:Sorry to say, but I believe you already answered your own question. Its either going to be= an expensive as h**l Moog Modular setup, modern modular setup(.com, Doepfer, etc...) or a software emulator such as the Arturia Moog or Arp soft synths.

You really can't go wrong with any of the choices. It just comes down to what you are willing to spend. A couple hundred for some kickass software, well into the thousands for modern modular gear, and even more for vintage Moog modules.

The best advice IMHO, is to just dive In according to your budget! The modern modular analogs sound fantastic and are much more affordable and reliable than vintage gear. If your willing to go the sofware route, the Arturia synths are top notch.
Thanks. I still want vintage stuff though (told myself that if I was getting hardware synths, they'd be vintage and analog. I'm weird like that.). Is there any way I can get halfway similar with a Korg MS-20 or ARP Odyssey or SCI Pro-One or something?

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:32 pm

I was thinking that the MS-20 or Pro-One might be right up your alley for that.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Some parts of that mp3 remind me of the Commodore 64. That being said, a SidStation could work, but the other sugestions of ProOne, MS-20, Odyssey would be much more cost effective. I can get most of those same sounds (I'm sure all of them if I tried) from my ARP 2600, but again, the afore mentioned synths will get you close enought without breaking the bank.