Looking for particular stab type instrument from late 80s

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
rick d

Looking for particular stab type instrument from late 80s

Post by rick d » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:40 am

Hi,

I am looking for a certain instrument that was VERY popular in the late 80s so I'm sure someone knows it. It sounds like some sort of stab and I'm guessing it came from a synth rather than a drum machine.

It can be found in the popular song "Electric Boogie", and it is found in the themes for the cartoons "Paw Paw Bears" and "The Snorks (Remix theme when going off)" (Don't laugh). I can't remember any other songs the instrument is found in right off hand, but it was everywhere.

If anyone has any info on this, please fill me in on what synth it is featured on so I can try to pick up one.

Thanks in advance.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Looking for particular stab type instrument from late 80s

Post by Bitexion » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:53 pm

In the paw paw bears theme (found on youtube), it doesn't sound like "a synth" at all, but an actual brass section like in Blues Brothers and countless other blues bands. You know, someone do use actual brass instruments :)
Meaning real trumpets etc.

Synth brass sounds like synth brass, not real brass instruments, and this doesn't sound like synth brass.
It COULD be some hideously expensive 80's sampler capable of playing back sampled brass sounds, like the Fairlight CMI or Emulator II. But those aren't exactly available anymore. Any ROMpler based synth (Like roland fantoms, yamaha motifs) will give you a whole range of sampled brass sounds aswell.

rick d

Post by rick d » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm not claiming it sounds "Synth-ish". I just said I think it comes from a synth, after all, there are FEW synths that have real sounding brass (Excluding the actual sounds called "Synth brass") as well as other instruments. I'm also aware that it could be real brass instead, yes.

However to get to the point, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of particular instrument it is, period. There are alot of vintage heads haunting these forums (Lol), so someone here ought to know something about this.

I've only heard it in 80s American commercial, pop, and television theme music and I've heard it in some 80s-very early 90s Jamaican music as well (Which is what I primarily listen to).

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:18 pm

I think you can find that type of sound in a cheap 90's synth too, like the Korg 01/W or 03/RW (the rack of 01W). I have the 03RW, and it has several sampled brass sounds like that. Sounds very real.
It saved my place in a band once, the others wanted to kick me out because my strings sounds didn't sound "real enough". So I bought the 03RW on a whim, brought it to practice and the others went nuts about it.

rick d

Post by rick d » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:45 pm

I think I have found it or at least a variation of it. It is featured on the Korg Wavestation. You can get diff. types of the sound by playing with the vector stick. I knew my wavestation software would come in handy for something. :D

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:08 pm

A bunch of '80s romplers had orchestra hits, for those budding Trevor Horns out there. I've got a cheap Casio practice keyboard that has some.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!