80s synth module!!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
MicroBorg

80s synth module!!

Post by MicroBorg » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:28 pm

Ok, ive been in a band for about a year now, our genre is indie rock. But the problem is all i am using right now is a microkorg, i have a controller keyboard, but i am after a good qauality synth module that has some good 80s organs, strings, sound effects and an arpeggiator etc. Can someone help me out?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: 80s synth module!!

Post by Z » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:03 pm

The Oberheim Matrix 6R or 1000 should get you the sounds you're looking for, but I do not know of any 80's MODULES with an arpeggiator. If you must have an arpeggiator, you might consider the Novation Nova or Supernova or Waldorf Microwave II or XT.

Best of luck.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:57 pm

good advice, Z.

maybe also the Korg EX-8000...iirc it has a MIDI-syncable arp.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:27 am

Does it have to be from the 80's ? Cause you could check the E-mu Proteus 2000. They are not expensive (used of course). They are very compact with a great arpeggiator. I have an Audity 2000, which is pretty much the same thing but with more techno/electro sounds, and it sound pretty nasty.
If you absolutely want analog filters... I can vouch the sound of the Ex-8000 is phat, but the sounds you can make are much more limited. You can even find used on Ebay ROMS of B3 samples to install into the Proteus 2000 (cause they a B3 proteus type of synth).

If it makes sens to you, go download the manual from E-mu. It's very well written and you will have a better idea of the machine.

That's just my opinion of course...
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

MicroBorg

Post by MicroBorg » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:44 am

Yeah i want a decent module with 80s soundin synths, now that i think of it the apreggiator is not too important for me to get but another thing i should add is a multi-timbral setting, that would be nice.

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:04 pm

You could get the ProteusVX from Emu. You can download it for free and it comes with pretty much the same as the hardware version.

IMHO, I think it doesn't sound as good as the hardware unit. I tried it. But it's free and it gives you the opportunity to try the unit for free.

The proteus 2000 and over have at least 64 voice polyphony and are 16 part multi timbral.
I writing this because I figure you want 80's sound without buying every 80's unit...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Very few synths from the 80's were multi-timbral. For the sounds you are looking for, multi-timbral with arpeggiator, I'd go with the Novation or Waldorf synths I suggested earlier or the last Proteus modules like Spadz suggested.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:19 pm

+1 on something from the Proteus 2000/2500 line of synths. There's about 15 of them and the ROMs are swappable so the sound of one can be the sound of another, for the most part.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:32 pm

ensoniq esq-m is an option.

no arp though.
the little green buttons make the little

Spadz

Post by Spadz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:34 pm

What kind of budget do you have? That would help a lot.

MicroBorg

Post by MicroBorg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:19 am

I have about $1200 (aussie dollars) to spend on a module. I looked at the oberheim matrix 1000 for $375 on ebay, but not sure if thats a trusty deal. If i can get a synth module from someone in australia that would be sweet but im not sure that will happen, ive been searching ebay australia for an 80s soundin module, nothing.

MicroBorg

Post by MicroBorg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:52 am

Also i should add i want a module with 80s sounds, none of the new electronica/techno sounds: bells, electro sounds, strings, effects, etc. If ya could could someone type a list of modules that fit what i said and ill check em out, there is just too many synths to flick through on this site, i need you experts advice XD

Spadz

Post by Spadz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:16 pm

I had to convert to canadian dollars to have a better understanding... There is no 80's module that does it all.
You could get a few modules instead. You have enough to get an ESQm, a TX802 (FM), D-550 and possibly another one.
I guess you want multi timbral because you want to carry only one module. Another option would be to get a good sampler, like an E-mu E4 or even a Triton rack with integrated sampling. You can add whatever sampled synth you want. There are a bunch of samples you can get. They don't have analog filters, but you can have the 80's sound in it and both the E4 and the Triton have arppegiatiors (still a nice bonus). An advantage of the Triton solution over the E4 is that it has a bunch of effects units in it.

Else, I don't know what to suggest anymore.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:02 pm

MicroBorg wrote:Also i should add i want a module with 80s sounds, none of the new electronica/techno sounds: bells, electro sounds, strings, effects, etc. If ya could could someone type a list of modules that fit what i said and ill check em out, there is just too many synths to flick through on this site, i need you experts advice XD
Can you at least be more specific on which "80s" you're referring to? Name some bands, songs, etc. so that people can narrow it down and help you out. Otherwise, you're talking about everything from analog to FM to wavetable to sample-based sounds.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

MicroBorg

Post by MicroBorg » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 am

Well Mystery Jets have some 80s synth, Van She they use some vintage synths thats all i can think of right now.