80s synth module!!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: 80s synth module!!

Post by Yoozer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:05 am

MicroBorg wrote:Also i should add i want a module with 80s sounds
E-mu Vintage Keys might help.

Anyway, any synth module is just that synth and no other. It's not like you get a "best selection of the 80's".
none of the new electronica/techno sounds: bells, electro sounds, strings, effects, etc.
If we're not talking about a sample-based synth, just throw those presets out and build your own.
If ya could could someone type a list of modules that fit what i said and ill check em out
When you refer to bands or certain sounds, link to Youtube demos - saves us the work of finding out what you mean, especially when a band has wildly different songs.

Furthermore, synth-wise the 80's can be chopped up in 3 parts: early (analog synths), FM (Yamaha DX etc.) and late (sample-based). The 80's sound is much more in using certain sounds (for instance, the gated snare with reverb or the DX7 E-Piano or the Juno-60 arpeggios) and mixing it in a certain way.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:30 pm

Here are some analogue suggestions for you to look into, which should fall within your budget (going from UK prices, which are more expensive than the US).

Roland MKS-70 - the rack JX-10 (Super JX)12-voices, can be split/layered for two different sounds.
Roland MKS-50 - the rack Alpha Juno. Six voices but isn't multitimbral.
Roland MKS-30 - the rack JX3P. Six voices but isn't multitimbral.

Digital suggestions:

Yamaha TX81Z - similar to the DX11. FM synthesis is quite excellent for organs.
Yamaha TX802 - the rack DX7II, which is 8-part multitimbral, but reduces the polyphony from 16 as more parts are used
Roland D-550 - the rackmount D-50. Capable of excellent analogue sounds and much, much more.

Check out www.synthmania.com and listen to the preset demos on there - might help your research.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Excellent suggestions Spider. The only module from the 80s with an arpeggiator ( actually 2 )that I know of is the voyetra eight. Amazing sounds, analog, but way out of budget and a nightmare to maintain. Chairman Spider's selections are definitely where it's at 8)

You can stop pointing the gun at me now Jack......
Last edited by urgetoplay on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:35 pm

MicroBorg wrote:Well Mystery Jets have some 80s synth, Van She they use some vintage synths thats all i can think of right now.

"80s" isn't a genre or style. It's a decade. There were a lot of genres and styles within it and there isn't one defining sound. I looked on YouTube for Mystery Jets and there are a lot of videos listed. If you're going mention them, at least mention the actual songs and where those sounds occur. People here don't mind helping you out, but you need to be more specific.

If you want a module that covers a lot of ground and gives you a little bit of everything, than I agree with Yoozer that the Emu Vintage Keys module would be a good place to start. It has a wide range of synth sounds, plus organs and electric pianos. They go for around $300 USD, I believe.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:09 pm

urgetoplay wrote:You can stop pointing the gun at me now Jack......
:lol:
It's not a gun, it's just the way I'm sitting.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:15 am

I agree the 80's was "sound". I don't make same sounds today that I did in the 80's, yet I use synths I've had or programmed in those days.

Do your research and look for demos here and there on the web. That will help you knowing the synths. And this site has a huge list of descriptions of synths.

Read.
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:20 am

Wasn't there a Micron preset called "The80's"? :lol:

Anyways, it is a good synth for 80's stuff. I think VA + FM can cover a lot of that 80's sound.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Gianni wrote:Wasn't there a Micron preset called "The80's"? :lol:

Yes, as it was also on my Ion. Somehow Alesis was able to capture the essence of an entire decade into 1 single preset. People are still wondering how they were able to accomplish such a herculean task.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:40 pm

braincandy wrote:

Yes, as it was also on my Ion. Somehow Alesis was able to capture the essence of an entire decade into 1 single preset. People are still wondering how they were able to accomplish such a herculean task.

This is extraordinary! Is it monophonic or polyphonic?
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Spadz wrote:
braincandy wrote:

This is extraordinary! Is it monophonic or polyphonic?
Polyphonic of course. :D
Unfortunately I didn't record any demos or tracks with that patch but it was a bit of a resonant sawish 80ish sound.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:41 pm

The Roland D-110 is a low-cost rack module with D-50-like sounds, 32 voices, 9-part multi-timbral, and 6 outputs. Older Samplers like the Roland S-760 are relatively cheap, sound great, and can be loaded with any sounds you want. Very few modules have arpeggiators, but some stand-alone units to consider are the Oberheim Cyclone, Waldorf Gecko, and MAM Map 1.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C