Electribe Questions

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Phenom

Electribe Questions

Post by Phenom » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi, just wondering what exactly were the improvements in each model (apart from the better build quality) from the original plastic ones and the MkIIs.

How are they as hardware sequencers for other gear, have they got serious uses or are they just for generating sequenced loops?

Also, regarding the SX model, what has it got apart from the tubes and ribbon that the ES1 doesn't have? Does it blow the ES1 away, or does the original hold its own?

Also would quite like to hear any user experiences, as I haven't had a chance to play with any of the electribes as yet...

cheers

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: Electribe Questions

Post by ronP » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:08 pm

oo

The Electribe EA-1 mkII, which I use, includes a Cross Mod functionality for very shrill distorted sounds that cut well through a mix. The patterns that come preprogrammed in the box are different -- "updated" -- as well.

The mkII metal chasis is a nice feature: more than cosmetic, the greater weight sits solidly on the tabletop; a look and feel of quality that is more receptive to the rigors of live tweaking.

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:52 pm

Phenom wrote:Also, regarding the SX model, what has it got apart from the tubes and ribbon that the ES1 doesn't have? Does it blow the ES1 away, or does the original hold its own?
The ES-1 is still very useful for drum samples, and it also has the advantage of being quick and easy to use because of the limited feature set. There is always something to be said for simplicity.

Depending on what you want to do, the SX does have a lot of improvements, and some may be more important to you than others. For instance, I couldn't care less about the tubes in the SX, but there are plenty of other things about it that made me switch. Here's a list of SX features that the ES doesn't have (off the top of my head, so I might miss some):

- 8 measure pattern length (ES has 4)
- pitched "keyboard" parts for simple melodies
- dedicated resonant filter (ES has this in the FX section, which is limiting)
- 3 independent FX buses
- modulation (an LFO or ENV) that can be routed to pitch, filter cutoff, amp, or pan
- amp envelope (useful for changing decay times on drum samples)
- adjustable "start point" for every sample
- up to 24 "motion sequences" per pattern for recording knob movement

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorgRolandRadikalTechnologiesMOOG

Post by aredj » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Did any of the older ones have the extra outputs? Or the pattern sets? Song mode differences? (I only played with 1 for a few weeks years ago...)

Theres the simple arpeggiator as well which is pretty useful once and awhile...

You can get alot done to quite a bit of detail on these machines with all the automations and pattern sequencing... I almost got bored of it once... Then I read the manual - "oh hey.. you can do that... ohhhh....."

Then found other things, like patching output 3 back into the machine to get the extra filtering or combfilters on some drum parts (EMX)

If I ever get stuck writing, its first thing I turn too... Just for an relaxing interface change... bang out some new ideas... I always end up coming up with something...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:56 pm

Take it from somebody that recently aquired an ESX - it blows the f**k ES out of the water (the tubes are f**k gimmick, you hopefully already know that). Well worth the extra dosh (and a superb machine for the 350.00 you can find them at used)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Comparing an ES1 and ESX is like comparing a Juno and Jupiter. the Mk2 seems to have a brighter better sound and the knobs seems to operate better (better os )?

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:24 pm

so the original es1 doesn't let u play a sample chromatically, bit of a shame there, especially with those 16 step buttons, would've have been useful if they could be used in the same way as an MPC's 16 levels function, but perhaps I'm asking too much.

I guess you can tune samples before they are put in patterns and make simple melodies that way???

I'm probably most interested in the ER1 and the ES1, they look like lots of fun. Think I'll pick one of them up soon, if only to have something small to jam with.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:36 am

Phenom wrote:so the original es1 doesn't let u play a sample chromatically, bit of a shame there, especially with those 16 step buttons, would've have been useful if they could be used in the same way as an MPC's 16 levels function, but perhaps I'm asking too much.

I guess you can tune samples before they are put in patterns and make simple melodies that way???

I'm probably most interested in the ER1 and the ES1, they look like lots of fun. Think I'll pick one of them up soon, if only to have something small to jam with.
Well, the ES has a pitch knob, so you can make a melody that way...

Telling you though, I used to think the ESX was just a played up ES1. Now that I have the ESX, I dont forsee needing any other groovebox type instrument for a long time.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:18 pm

+1 on the ESX being a fantastic little thing for the money, I just had a 2 hour session with just the ESX, and it is just the tool for sample mangling :) save up a bit and get the ESX over the ES, it's worth it and then some

ipassenger

Post by ipassenger » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:13 pm

+1 ESX it's great, much better than the none (X) models. I have and ER1 and borrowed an ES1 for a good while.

OT: Anyone swapped their tubes yet (ESX)? Does it help with the noise floor?

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:15 pm

i think they're both great machines, but the ESX definitely has the edge when it comes to features and power. that said, don't discount the ES-1, as it has a dirty & dark sound of its own (that sounds fantastic to my ears) and complements any of the other 'tribes nicely. if you're choosing between them, i'd pick the ESX first, but maybe keep your ear to the ground for a cheap ES-1 locally...

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:31 am

The ESX blows the ES-1 away any day

1. the construction is far better
2. the tubes are great, even more if you replace the electro-harmonix ones for JJ or groovetubes 12AX7
3. it has several modes for playing the samples : one shot, chormatic, stretch, slice
4. it has a complete synth section with GREAT sounding multimode filters for EACH sequencer track, even for the audio input track...It section includes an LFo with tempo sync, several waves and several destinations
5. the ribbon controlled arpeggiator is great for live use or sequence parts realtime
6. it can modify AND SAVE all parameters for each part while running the sequencer without missing a beat
7. 24 motion sequences per pattern
8. up to 256, 8 bars long, patterns organized in 4 banks of 64 each
9. PC free editor to make bank images with full parameters and sample metadata drom standard WAV files...just put the saved image in your smartmedia, load the whole section and everything is in place
10. great sounding pitch transposition of samples
11. 3 identical FX processors, fully assignable to each track...they´re chainable in different ways, with realtime parameter tweaking and several great sounding FX types...also you can motion sequence FX parameters of each processor individually in a pattern
12. all knobs, buttons, sequencer, motion sequences and ribbon transmit MIDI data...so you can control, and sequence external gear or input MIDI data on software with it
13. it receive MIDI control for all parameters, even sample switching for each individual track using NRPN
14. 4 outputs freely assignable for each track...also you can realtime swapt outputs for a track while sequencer is running...this is a great feature for live use when you can check things and sequences before you fire them to the audience (similar to cue records ina DJ set)
15. stereo input who can be gate sequenced, filtered, LFOed and sent to FX...it can hold bot line and mic signals
16. mutes are saved with pattens and you can recall pattern status (parameters and mutes) to the saved position at any time while playing
17. sampling is both mono and stereo, 44.1 kHz, 16 bits...
18. sample loop points stored with samples are recognized
19. realtime buttons for retrigger, reverse and knobs for sample start and pitch...really great features for live use

If all of this features doesn´t convince you this machine is much better than the ES-1 then you better get the ES-1... your dissease is not curable with reason!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:05 pm

anselmi wrote: 9. PC free editor to make bank images with full parameters and sample metadata drom standard WAV files...just put the saved image in your smartmedia, load the whole section and everything is in place
shoot...how did i miss this?!! a huge timesaver, indeed.

for anyone else that's interested, here's the link:

esx wave organizer: http://www.skratchdot.com/esxwaveorganizer/index.php
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:12 am

ipassenger wrote:+1 ESX it's great, much better than the none (X) models. I have and ER1 and borrowed an ES1 for a good while.

OT: Anyone swapped their tubes yet (ESX)? Does it help with the noise floor?
I sawpped mine out with JJ ECC83 S. I can crank the tube gain now and there's a lot less grungy distortion

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:57 am

Are those mammyrammers soldered in or snap in?