pure analogue studio, need advice

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Escobar

Re: pure analogue studio, need advice

Post by Escobar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:40 am

double post :oops:
Last edited by Escobar on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roland MKS-70 | Roland SuperJX | Roland S-770 | Roland S-50 | Roland MC-500 | Roland TR-505 | Emulator III rack | Emulator II+HD | Emax HD rack | Emax Kb | Prophet 2002 | Yamaha TQ-5

Escobar

Post by Escobar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:47 am

volumetrik wrote:
Here's a pic of someones rig and it looks killer, this is the s**t I'm talking about, and he records onto tape also..

http://www.matrixsynth.com/blog/media/misc/DSCN1369.jpg

wonder what all the components are? I know there's a Synton Fenix, TR-606, TB-303, Latronic Notron .. don't know the other bits...

that is a truly analogue kit right?
I belive the two reel tape recorders are made by Nagra = "expensive but reliable". I think $1000.00 or more each.
Look at ebay.
Roland MKS-70 | Roland SuperJX | Roland S-770 | Roland S-50 | Roland MC-500 | Roland TR-505 | Emulator III rack | Emulator II+HD | Emax HD rack | Emax Kb | Prophet 2002 | Yamaha TQ-5

steveman

Post by steveman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Escobar wrote:If you want that analog tape sound why not try to use a VCR? They are actully very cheap/low priced these days.
Go for a HiFi with 6heads, they seems to be best.
VCR 'HI-Hi' recording has nothing to do with the 'analogue tape' sound the OP is after. It uses FM, pretty good quality, but you aren't going to get the sound of analogue tape out of it. Also, try finding a VCR proper metering and level contril, most of them use Automatic Gain Control on the input, hardly suitable for critical audio use.
Escobar wrote: I belive the two reel tape recorders are made by Nagra = "expensive but reliable". I think $1000.00 or more each.
Look at ebay.
Yep, those are Nagra's. Top end portable field recorders, used to be the standard for film location recording. Swiss made - say no more... They're mono/stereo, so that's about $2,000 you're looking at right there for 2-4 tracks.

See here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nagra-4-2-Portabl ... 0274512072

Escobar

Post by Escobar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:38 pm

steveman wrote:VCR 'HI-Hi' recording has nothing to do with the 'analogue tape' sound the OP is after. It uses FM, pretty good quality, but you aren't going to get the sound of analogue tape out of it. Also, try finding a VCR proper metering and level contril, most of them use Automatic Gain Control on the input, hardly suitable for critical audio use.
Thanks for pointing that out steveman.

Anyway, here's something I found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rupert-Neve-Designs ... 286.c0.m14

Maybe a good/interesting compromise to avoid using computers with software plugins and taperecorders.

A link to a retail seller of units like that:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=482649

Hopefully it helps

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:48 pm

i also understand the allure to go for analog recording. but i for myself ended up recording all the analog stuff onto digital. it's much cheaper and u really have more possibilities...

the psp mix pack is indeed a high quality vst package that sounds just FAT.

i also would recommend - as pointed out b4 - to get a poly synth, if u dont have any yet. ms 20 is a good choice for a second synth, but as ur only synth u soon would miss polyphony...