Virus b/c or Waldorf Blofeld for these sounds

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ex_action_figure

Virus b/c or Waldorf Blofeld for these sounds

Post by ex_action_figure » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm looking to emulate all the classic 90s rave sounds (like the supersaw and hoover ect)
I know the Virus does it pretty well but judging the samples I heard on the vengeance site of the waldorf Q I'm thinking the blofeld would be quite capable of making these sounds as well and possible better then the virus or at least with more modulation.

I'm fairly sure the virus does not have a chord hold function where you can play a cord and it memorizes it and then each key will be that cord...Does anyone know if the blofeld does that? I remember the nord lead 3 did that and that was one of my favorite features for recreating 90s cheesy house chords and stabs.

also which one do you think is more capable of the classic speed garage sounds as well? (Typical 'reverse bass sounds' house organ ect)

Anyone have any opinions on this?

derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

Re: Virus b/c or Waldorf Blofeld for these sounds

Post by derma_tek » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:11 pm

supersaw = roland jp-8000/jp-8080/sh-201
hoover = roland mks-50/alpha juno1/alpha juno 2

ex_action_figure

Post by ex_action_figure » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:06 pm

Yea, I know where the original sounds come from but I'm not really about collecting synths just for one sound they do...I've heard the virus do mean supersaws and hoovers but I'm wondering how the blofeld is in this area

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:11 pm

ex_action_figure wrote:I'm fairly sure the virus does not have a chord hold function where you can play a cord and it memorizes it and then each key will be that cord...
You're correct - things like that were solved differently in the 90's, too, by simply sampling the chord if there wasn't an Alpha Juno handy anywhere.
also which one do you think is more capable of the classic speed garage sounds as well? (Typical 'reverse bass sounds' house organ ect)
Speed garage bass is just a square wave with an envelope to the filter with a relatively long attack - both can do that, really. House organ - both can do this too, but the Blofeld is able to do it with a single oscillator using an envelope to control the position of the pointer in the wavetable (assuming that you have a table that morphs from two sines to a single one).

If you want a dirtier, darker character with lots of options for distortions, the Virus. If you want modulation possibilities and don't mind a cleaner sound, the Blofeld (this "clean" sound is simply part of Waldorf's character).

The supersaw is not hard provided that you've got unison, but the Virus's character causes things to blend a bit more. I haven't found an actual good replacement for a hoover yet, so I simply got an Alpha Juno 1.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:33 pm

the blofeld can clearly do these sounds, but the blofeld interface pales in comparison to the one on the virus series

the blofeld is also much more complex than the virus, and really you don't need that stuff for the simple sounds you are trying to do

you would be better off with a jp8000, alpha juno, and a lot of pedals, or just the virus alone, the virus has a great fx section

you need to stop looking for things based on genre and just get a f**k synth and program it the way you want it

the user defines the synth, not the genre
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

ex_action_figure

Post by ex_action_figure » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:03 am

Joey wrote:you need to stop looking for things based on genre and just get a f**k synth and program it the way you want it

I beg to differ, some synths just can't do certain sounds and I don't mean because of what they are capable of in terms of specs I mean every synth has it's 'sound' and because of that even two synths that are similar in specs programmed the exact same way can sound completely different...which is why I ask. I've never owned anything from waldorf so I'm not quite sure what the 'sound' of the blofeld is

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:15 am

ex_action_figure wrote:
Joey wrote:you need to stop looking for things based on genre and just get a f**k synth and program it the way you want it

I beg to differ, some synths just can't do certain sounds and I don't mean because of what they are capable of in terms of specs I mean every synth has it's 'sound' and because of that even two synths that are similar in specs programmed the exact same way can sound completely different...which is why I ask. I've never owned anything from waldorf so I'm not quite sure what the 'sound' of the blofeld is

yeah but when you deal with complex synths like the blofeld and virus you know they can pretty much cover everything

obviously nto every synth can do everything
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:15 am

ex_action_figure wrote:

Joey's right. You can't get every synth to sound exactly the same, but you can get any synth to get close enough to do '90's rave' or 'classic speed garage' or whatever. Exceptions being stuff like sync sounds if the synth doesn't have sync, 2 osc sounds on a 1 osc synth etc. But on the Virus or Blofeld you've got plenty of options, you just need to program it right.