Portable Midi Record and Playback device?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Portable Midi Record and Playback device?

Post by smallsynth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Is there such a thing?

I sometimes use my laptop to create midi sequences. I'd like to use those sequences out live without having to set up and rely on my laptop.

Is there some little device with a midi in and a midi out where you can record the midi output of your laptop (multiple channels, parameters, etc...) and then play it back later? Preferably with at least eight "songs"?

_Geoffrey Smallsynth

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Re: Portable Midi Record and Playback device?

Post by wiss » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:00 pm

Tascam Pocketstudio 5

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03 ... -5-20.html

it may be close to meeting your needs... meets all needs I think but a midi out
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401

Post by smallsynth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:52 pm

A midi out is a necessity, as it will be used to control my synths in a live situation.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:32 pm

How small, and would it have to run on batteries? MPC500 could do it, and you could load the midi files in direct from the laptop over usb. Or you could get something like an old Kawai Q-80, they're pretty cheap these days. Or an MMT-8.

smallsynth

Post by smallsynth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 pm

running on batteries would be killer. the program i use to generate midi doesn't output at MID files. so i'm stuck with midi out... that's why i was looking for a "recorder" of some sort. i don't want to have to reprogram the lines into an MMT-8, for instance.

i'm looking for an MPC500 manual online. if that can take mid files and play them back, that might work. i can look into exporting as mid.

-geoffrey smallsynth

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:17 am

Both the Q-80 and MPC500 would work by plugging the output of your lappy in and recording direct, I only mentioned the usb thing cause it's more convenient sometimes.

The only problem I can see would be that some programs (Live 6 for example) put out a jittery midi clock signal so if you lock the recorder to it and then record the midi you end up with something really badly jumpy. Doesn't happen with every program and you can kind of get round it by just setting the tempos the same and hoping, but it's just something to be aware of. I had that problem trying to put midi out of Live 6 into the XL-7, in the end I gave up but that was more because of my laziness than anything else. :D

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:20 am

Yamaha QY series is probably a good bet. The QY-70 has got alot of fans. I always fancied trying to figure out a QY-700.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:36 am

How about the Roland PMA-5? Has MIDI in/out and can store 20 eight part midi files.
http://www.synthman.com/roland/308600.html
I grabbed one off Ebay for around $60.00US, never did figure out how to best use it. Has a high learning curve for me. I planned on using it with a portable battery operated setup with a MicroKorg and an SH-101.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 am

i don't think mmt-8 would work. you have to record one track at the time and memory would vanish quite fast.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:43 am

smallsynth wrote:'m looking for an MPC500 manual online.
http://www.akaipro.com/contentmgr/showd ... /1113/tt/5

Hair

Post by Hair » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:10 am

There's an MMT-8 editor which would allow you to transfer the MIDI files directly in via SysEx I believe. But the MMT-8 is definitely a MIDI recorder! Programming it from scratch is awful, so it pretty much is designed to do what you want it to - the more pattern based the music, the better though.

Another alternative would be the rm1x/rs7000 - I forget the exact format of the memory cards, but I'm pretty sure they use a kind that there are USB adapters for, so you could transfer stuff that way..

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:16 am

smallsynth wrote:Is there some little device with a midi in and a midi out where you can record the midi output of your laptop (multiple channels, parameters, etc...) and then play it back later? Preferably with at least eight "songs"
The QY70 is small and battery powered (smaller, have longer battery life than the QY100), Got midi in/out and space for 20 songs permanently on a non volatile memory. It also has a "multi" realtime record mode, where all 16 tracks can be recorded simultaneously. With the data filer software, is as easy as transferring the SMF/QY data back and forth between the PC and the unit. It even a nice synth (almost a Rm1x/QY700 class) and a powerful sequencer by itself. I did so many midi transfer with no problems and never experience a crash, even with loaded midi data.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 pm

Hair wrote:There's an MMT-8 editor which would allow you to transfer the MIDI files directly in via SysEx I believe. But the MMT-8 is definitely a MIDI recorder! Programming it from scratch is awful, so it pretty much is designed to do what you want it to - the more pattern based the music, the better though.

Another alternative would be the rm1x/rs7000 - I forget the exact format of the memory cards, but I'm pretty sure they use a kind that there are USB adapters for, so you could transfer stuff that way..
what i ment is from what small's saying his that he needs to record a set on a midi recorder. he will probably need more then one track at the time. though you're right about the midi via sysex. but again, i suppose he only want to push play on one side and record on the other...
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes