Studio Desks, yes seriously

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Studio Desks, yes seriously

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:48 am

I'd been thinking about starting this thread and F5D's desk got me wondering if anyone else has something similar.

Do you have an awesome desk like that? Something with a similar depth to that maxxstation desk would be great. It doesn't look cramped at all. Darker color would be nice. I don't really need those lower 2 leg racks, I'd think a desk with legs instead would be less expensive.

I know some people use a particular Ikea desk but their stuff is made out of pencil shavings and paper. Preferably a store based in the US and even color if it's in southern California. Guitar Center always has the same one or two. If I can't find one I will probably break out the tools and buy some material. I might buy the legs from Ikea if I do I hope they are real metal. :lol:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Re: Studio Desks, yes seriously

Post by killanator » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 am

I just have a normal computer desk right now, the LP is where the monitor is supost to go, the CZ is where the keyboard mouse thing is supost to be, and the monitor is up at the very top.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:00 am

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:05 am

RobotHeroes, you read my mind. :) I've been looking around for studio desks for a while. There are some I really like, but they're too small, and the next step up is so huge I wouldn't need that much space. But what got me thinking about it again was F5D's pictures too. (Those are really nice pictures..)

Perhaps your thread will help me out too. ;)
Well fffff.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:12 am

That one looks cramped to me. The Aveon looks kinda cool but most of the desks there look a bit bland for the cost.
Hossinfeffa wrote:RobotHeroes, you read my mind. :) I've been looking around for studio desks for a while. There are some I really like, but they're too small, and the next step up is so huge I wouldn't need that much space. But what got me thinking about it again was F5D's pictures too. (Those are really nice pictures..)

Perhaps your thread will help me out too. ;)
I knew I wasn't the only one! You'd think finding a desk would be simple. My current desk is too small. Just putting a couple of papers down makes it look like a big mess. :lol:

The only way I will pay 1K+ for a desk is if it's big(L shaped perhaps), well designed and made with real wood and possibly metal too.

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:41 am

Just in case the thread doesn't yield any stores I started looking at Craigslist as a plan B.

Quite a few desks for sale for cheap. A bit of them look like they are made of wood too. So far plan B is find a desk surface big enough on CL with the wood in good condition and cannibalize it. A standard office desk looks similar in size and dimensions to the maxxstation desk F5D has. A little bit of reworking and some wood stain could be win.

Onward with the search on plan A though. The internet is so vast...where are all the good desks from stores? :lol:

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:21 am

I'm a bit sceptical to any desk that fits a synth underneath the "main" desk surface. Feels like You'll either have nowhere to put Your legs, or the computer keyboard/mouse and monitor ends up ridiculously high.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Fed up with not being able to find a workstation desk suited for my needs, I decided to design and build my own. I built this desk from 3/4" MDF back at the beginning of the summer, but haven't brought it home yet (still at my furniture warehouse):
Sorry, these are the only photos I could find on my computer. I may remove the shelf at knee level which was designed to hold a MV-8000 & another piece. My idea behind this desk was to have both my JD-800 (at fixed desk level) and Fantom X6 (on sliding shelf above), so I could play them "organ style", but slide the X6 back to access the JD"s sliders when needed.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:51 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:Just in case the thread doesn't yield any stores I started looking at Craigslist as a plan B.

Quite a few desks for sale for cheap. A bit of them look like they are made of wood too. So far plan B is find a desk surface big enough on CL with the wood in good condition and cannibalize it. A standard office desk looks similar in size and dimensions to the maxxstation desk F5D has. A little bit of reworking and some wood stain could be win.

Onward with the search on plan A though. The internet is so vast...where are all the good desks from stores? :lol:
may i suggest that you add some king of old/antique door to your search. i've seen numerous non-woodworker doing amazing diner table with this kind of start. goes often for realy cheap, you get a fine aged wood that it's stainble and in an appropriate size.

-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:16 pm

RobotHeroes wrote: That one looks cramped to me. The Aveon looks kinda cool but most of the desks there look a bit bland for the cost.
Yeah, the Aveon is the one I like and am going to make. I work at a wood shop and I just need to plug all the measurements into WoodWop on our Weeke. I'll have to guesstimate a few of them, but I can live with not being perfectly exact.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Esus

Post by Esus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:18 pm

I highly recommend Middle Atlantic products.
I got the MDV-DL table with a couple of sidecars for my Pro Tools/Final Cut Pro workstation setup. I ordered from Pilar Products in Chicago--they sold for cost + 10%, no shipping or tax.
My synth collection has grown to the point where I bought a Mity-Lite folding table. It doesn't look very sexy (but they come in gray and black), and it'll hold about 1600 lbs.
It's obvious, but if you want to keep your gear, don't put it on c**p...

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Nice looking desk so far, Z. It reminds me of someone that custom built a desk/console to hold 3 D-50's and 2 D-550's as an organ setup.

Well fffff.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:11 pm

novielo wrote:may i suggest that you add some king of old/antique door to your search. i've seen numerous non-woodworker doing amazing diner table with this kind of start. goes often for realy cheap, you get a fine aged wood that it's stainble and in an appropriate size.
Sounds like a cool idea but nice doors are usually uneven, from the details and stuff nice doors have. But it's pretty much the same idea. I might find an older/antique looking desk with a nice table top, thick and not flimsy.
Esus wrote:I highly recommend Middle Atlantic products.
Their site doesn't seem to be working or something but I found their stuff on some sellers sites. Not really digging the design, looks just like raxxess/or similar brands. I assume the thing with these brand are that their surfaces are made of graphite.
BF wrote:+1 on looking local & craigslist. I was able to pick up a piece of office furniture from a local business and added a shelf for my LCDs and it fits my ATB nicely. $20 for the desk and less than that for hardware and wood for the shelf.
The metal legs are practically the same on some of those studio desks huh. I am pretty sure you can slam a human being into those desks and they wont cave in.

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:55 am

I picked up this 60s office desk for $80 on CL. The thing is built like a tank, and has the perfect amount of space for all my stuff. Even with all that weight on top, it doesn't wobble at all. The surface is 72" x 30" and that's a fairly common size. Something similar might work for you, and if you got one without drawers there would probably be plenty of room for a synth pullout shelf.

Even though it doesn't look nearly as cool as F5D's desk, it works fine for me and I have no plans to do anything different. 8)

"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:41 am

pangmaster wrote:I picked up this 60s office desk for $80 on CL.

Even though it doesn't look nearly as cool as F5D's desk, it works fine for me and I have no plans to do anything different. 8)
That desk does look cool! From the angle it sort of looks like you could remove the drawers and turn them into racks. It might just be the angle though and the drawers might not be wide enough. The silver frame and those black drawers look pretty ace. Are they made of metal? The black racks match the drawers too.

This office desk idea might not be so bad since some people just want them out and sell them for cheap or even free. Bringing one back home is probably the hard part since they are rather gigantic.

More desks! :D