Newbie Needs Help!!!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
IndigoOn

Re: Newbie Needs Help!!!

Post by IndigoOn » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:15 pm

haha I worked in a dingy pub from when I was 14 to gather funds.
:)

I paid £200, including courier. I got it off a fella from the KVR forums
but yeah the bay should be fruitful, the ks4 are quite slept on really.

Titch95

Post by Titch95 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Ohh you aint seen a dingy pub 'til you've been to a dumfries pub... the village pubs are ok but they're all miles away from the town (where I live). I know a scarily large number of people round here, only a few years older than me, that have been on the wrong end of a knife for spilling a drunk Doonhamer's pint...

And thanks for telling me the price I'll look for a similar deal on the web or maybe next time I'm in Glasgow!

So, I think it's time I re-assessed this thread; I'm pretty sure after studying all the info that you guys gave me (special thanks to clubbedtodeath! :) ) that I'll go for the Novation KS4 (unless someone comes up with an even better alternative for under £250!)

So, the new question is...

How can a 13-year old Scot raise £70 (thats how much I'm short! :( ) without being a paper boy or working in a bar? 8)

Thanks again for all the help!

Titch95

Post by Titch95 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Oh, and one more thing I almost forgot!

Do synths have speakers on them? Or do you have to plug them into an amp??? :D

Cheers

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Titch95 wrote:Do synths have speakers on them? Or do you have to plug them into an amp???
Almost all of them don't have speakers. The KS4 certainly doesn't.

Either you plug them into an amp, use the headphone socket (if it has one), or borrow your dad's stereo - which is what I did.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:07 pm

Synths rarely have speakers (a juno106 sorta thing springs to mind, and a dx27something), and when synths do come with built-in speakers they're usually seen as cheesy keyboards, doomed to remain unpopular ad infinitum.. So yes: you'll be needing an amp or headphones.

That said, the Roland JV30 without speakers was a synth based on a soundcanvas, the Roland E86 (or something) was a keyboard based on the soundcanvas, with speakers. Everything soundcanvasy is a bit vague in this discussion.. :P

Also, the Roland MT32 was a module without speakers, but the Roland KR500 and KR3000 standing keyboards (soundwise based on the MT32) came with speakers again.

Ahwell, to keep things simple: synths come without speakers, and exceptions are found unpopular.. :evil:
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Titch95

Post by Titch95 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:10 pm

Well, I'm also a keen guitarist, so my lead will probably be ok for hooking it up to amps! :D As for the hi-fi, I can probably figure out a way for dad to let me use it :twisted:

Another question (sorry they just keep popping into my head :mrgreen: )

...Will it say in the manual how to hook it up to my PC and download patches?

If not how do you do this?

IndigoOn

Post by IndigoOn » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:59 pm

the easiest way for my most people to hook it up to a computer and download sounds, is using a midi to usb cable, and download free software such as midi-ox for getting sounds to your synth.

its very simple to do and I doubt you'd need a manual, but manuals usually have some midi instructions.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:42 pm

Titch95 wrote: ...Will it say in the manual how to hook it up to my PC and download patches?
You can pretty much forget terminology like "downloading and uploading" for synthesizers. The sounds you transfer (using an application like MIDI-OX) are not the sounds themselves, but the positions of the knobs and the sliders. Plus, the places where you can find these sounds are far and few between. Organizing the sounds in such a way that they are neatly named, ordered and even categorized is a job not many will undertake.

Seconding the AN1x. You'll only get a few knobs (that's why it's so cheap) but the computer editor for it functions well and there are several patches to find for it. Also, it's lightweight.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:19 am

Titch95 wrote:Novation KS4 Vs. Yamaha AN1X?
If you plan to use the synth as your only hardware for quiet a while, the KS4 features and interface might be more suitable. Comparing the sound (x-stn here) and the AN1x, the x sounds more beefy and have a certain low frequency that I like. But if ever you found hard time finding a KS, the AN1x would also be a great synth for the price.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Titch95

Post by Titch95 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:22 pm

Hey again, thanks for clearing up my patches confusion - I'll probably take a more in-depth look into it once I've bought a synth...

As for which synth to buy, I like the idea of some beefy bass! 8) And the extra features (multitimrablity and keyboard split metioned earlier by clubbed) seem to warrant the extra money I'd need for a KS4. I think I'll wait for a good deal on one to come up on eBay... but if I can't get one by Christmas, I'll go for the AN1X.

So, I guess I owe a great thanks to everyone thats helped me out here, especially clubbeed :), I was extremely lucky to find this site!!

I hope to be on here a lot more in the near future!

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:33 am

Titch95 wrote:Well, I'm also a keen guitarist, so my lead will probably be ok for hooking it up to amps!
This should be fine, but make sure when you plug it in, you start off with the SYNTH VOLUME LOW. Synths output at a higher level than guitars, and if you put it too loud you can accidentally blow up your amp. So yeah, start low, then bring it up to a usable volume. Rather than thinking you're starting the other way round. :wink:

Multitimbrality and keyboard splitting is certainly a good idea. Good luck with your search for the KS4.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:17 am

Titch95 wrote:As for which synth to buy, I like the idea of some beefy bass! 8) And the extra features (multitimrablity and keyboard split metioned earlier by clubbed) seem to warrant the extra money I'd need for a KS4.
There's a KS4 that just went up for sale today on Sound on Sound classified ads for £200. Might be just what you are looking for. :)

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:11 pm

Welcome newb!

A word of caution on the KS4, there's a reason why they don't make them anymore! The knobs had this crazy thing where they self-adjusted parameters all on their own, making the synth unplayable. I bought a KS5 when they came out and it spent 3 months in the shop and then it went up on e-bay. It sounded great but make sure it doesn't have this problem...you will be heartbroken.
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

kandpstudio

Post by kandpstudio » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Hey Newbie

Hope this helps....it's just my opinion for you.

I also had a bit of classical training and piano lessons years ago. I was lucky enough to get a reasonable bonus this year and have just put together a studio from eBay. I was lucky to find some vintage synths at good prices.

I have owned an SY85 for years (got one of the first ones brand new). It's not too difficult to program, and to be honest, if I could do it at my age you should have no probs. There are a few on ebay at the moment currently within your price range.

I have 3 keyboards all of which are completely different to play. Korg M1, SY85 and a Casio 88 key weighted piano which I bought new (apart from the SY85 at the time, it's the most expensive bit of kit I have at £599 new.)

The Casio is just like playing a real piano but it's useless for controlling synths. The SY85 keyboard is great as a controller and by comparison I find the Korg M1 a bit clunky but it's a classic I was lucky to find!!

Synths are a completely different inst than the piano but you should be able to adapt fairly quickly.

There's some good freeware stuff on the net for midi control (midiox) and some shareware patch editors which would get you up and running.

Good luck!! It took me a long time to get this studio together and you have the advantage of youth...you'll learn quick!