The mighty Roland SPV-355

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

The mighty Roland SPV-355

Post by nvining » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:52 pm

One of these just showed up on our local Craigslist here for $700 CDN. Anybody know anything about these, or had any experience with them? From what little I can find out it looks like they're a Roland SH-2 in a box hooked up to a completely insane pitch-tracking system from the 70's, which.... well, doesn't necessarily sound all that bad. But I'm curious if anybody has actually played one of them, has some video they could put up, et cetera.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: The mighty Roland SPV-355

Post by Z » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:31 am

I posted similar thread a few months ago and received no response. From what I understand, it's basically the synth engine from the ProMars couples with a pitch to cv converter. It also has CV/Gate inputs for standard control.

Speaking of ProMars, I finally got my grubby hands on one today thanks to Stalfosia. Very beefy. Sounds a lot like the SH-2.

small blue dot
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: The mighty Roland SPV-355

Post by small blue dot » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:20 am

I was briefly curious about this synth as well... Until I found out:
No LFO.
No independent VCO controls.
No Envelope Release control.
No Sample & Hold.
No White Noise.
Pitch Hold drift.
Some functions only available in P/V mode.

Which makes for an incredibly rudimentary synth, even though it has dual VCO's. I wouldn't personally place its value very high considering you can probably do more with most single osc synths and the pitch tracking isn't supposed to be all that great.
a master of karate and friendship for everyone