Want to dive into modulars, need advice.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Want to dive into modulars, need advice.

Post by redroomrecordings » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi Guys....this is were i turn into a stupid newbie and annoy everyone :oops: let me know if therre is already a post i should see to answer my questions.

well all of my synthesis experience has been with my va's, digitals, and vsts.... nothing analog and definitely nothing modular (except modular vsts).

i've decided i want to take the plunge and get into modular synthesis. this isn't so much because i am looking into attaining a sound i cant get, most of my basses are covered with current gear. i am mostly wanting to get a modular system because i think it would be interesting, fun, and also help me to become a better programmer rather than a preset tweaker. i also really enjoy the aesthetics of modular systems.

so i need some advice on where to start. i can probably spent about $2000 to start off with. I need a system that isn't completely bare bones and that will be useful even before i add other modules. I considered getting the synthesizer.com entry level module a month package all at once and adding a few modules but am not sure if this is the best route to go. a lot of other manufacturers are making stuff that looks a lot more unique and interesting to me especially the modcan stuff, but it is very expensive and they don't offer a convenient starter kit.

so i guess im just looking for advice on what manufacturer to go with, what kit, est.

thanks guys

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Want to dive into modulars, need advice.

Post by Yoozer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:22 pm

If the Dotcom and Modcan have the same form factor, why not order the entry module in its entirety, an extra 22U case, and then you slowly start filling up the rest of the empty slots? For the things you find too vanilla in the entry system - sell 'm after you've bought the Modcan replacement.

I don't know if Serge panels start at 2K (don't think so), otherwise that's an option to get something unique, complete and immediately useful too.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:50 pm

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =9&t=42941
Second item for sale here (assuming it's still available). I can't afford to buy it :( , but someone should. Seems like a great starter modular set-up at a good price, and won't take up a ton of space. Then you can use your other $1000 on a case and some more esoteric auxiliary modules.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:06 am

I think Modcan is just a tad too tall for Dotcom cases. I do know that MOTM will fit, but you'll either have to deal with gaps or drill new holes into the rails(they're wooden btw :wink: ) You will have to buy an adapter for hooking up MOTM modules to the Dotcom powersupply, they're like $12 a pop.

Yes, Dotcom does not offer as many possibilities in their modules as others, but you can still produce some extremely wild/esoteric sounds anyways. Its probably part of the reason the cost for Dotcom is much less than Modcan and MOTM. Less complex modules to design and build are going to cheaper, but should never be looked down upon. There will always be the debate of MOTM using higher quality parts, but those parts should still last just as long as the parts from other manufacturers, about 40-50 years.

Goldmine of modular info here with a very low signal to noise ratio http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:01 pm

so what do u guys think has for example a buchla that a dotcom or doepfer has not?

is there anyone able to compare the big companies a little bit?

redroomrecordings

Post by redroomrecordings » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:29 pm

pflosi wrote:so what do u guys think has for example a buchla that a dotcom or doepfer has not?

is there anyone able to compare the big companies a little bit?
the forum s bather pointed me to was actually very helpful, this post especially:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 am

great forum, especially that thread is nice. like the comparance between the companies

redroomrecordings

Post by redroomrecordings » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:09 pm

if anyone is interested i think i have come to my decision.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to go with a doepfer a-100 to start. it's not the most impressive system but it is affordable and offers the biggest room for expansion, plus seems to be in the most widely used format opening more doors for bringing in other companies modules.

i would still love a modcan system, but so expensive, a single case and psu is $900CDN! i also like the look and impressive module size of the dot com stuff, but the modules seem sort of limiting (im not looking to recreate a moog sound hear, rather alien textures) and there seems to be a lot less available to add from other companies as thier rack spacing and psu isn't that compatible.

first things first though, gotta go watch as man videos and demos on the a-100 as possible.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:10 pm

i wish i had the money to really think of it... ;)

redroomrecordings

Post by redroomrecordings » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:30 pm

pflosi wrote:i wish i had the money to really think of it... ;)
well technically i dont either, especially after just purchasing a custom mac pro tower and 30" display... i'll be paying that off for a while. but im going to sell a bunch of my unused va's to fund the modular.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:46 pm

redroomrecordings wrote:if anyone is interested i think i have come to my decision.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to go with a doepfer a-100 to start. it's not the most impressive system but it is affordable and offers the biggest room for expansion, plus seems to be in the most widely used format opening more doors for bringing in other companies modules.

i would still love a modcan system, but so expensive, a single case and psu is $900CDN! i also like the look and impressive module size of the dot com stuff, but the modules seem sort of limiting (im not looking to recreate a moog sound hear, rather alien textures) and there seems to be a lot less available to add from other companies as thier rack spacing and psu isn't that compatible.

first things first though, gotta go watch as man videos and demos on the a-100 as possible.
i've found the Plan B stuff to really be outstanding in every way. i would go with Plan B oscillators at the very least. i'm still trying to figure out whether to go Buchla or Plan B, but i'm leaning towards a primarily Plan B modular since there is so much fun stuff in the eurorack format.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:04 am

xpander wrote:
redroomrecordings wrote:if anyone is interested i think i have come to my decision.

i've found the Plan B stuff to really be outstanding in every way. i would go with Plan B oscillators at the very least. i'm still trying to figure out whether to go Buchla or Plan B, but i'm leaning towards a primarily Plan B modular since there is so much fun stuff in the eurorack format.
:happy6: Awesome! Lots of Eurorack modules I want(particularly Livewire and Harvestman) once I'm done filling my second 5u cab which is mostly Dotcom, but will have some STG Soundlabs and one or two MOTM modules as well.

Man, Buchla and might as well throw Wiard in there as well, is just way too expensive!! I'm sure its worth it, that is if you can afford it :evil:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:28 am

I think you made the right choice.

synthesizerist

Post by synthesizerist » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Wow, thanks for that link! I also would like to get into modular eventually and is intimidating to start out. It seems like you're making a big commitment right out of the gate by just choosing the size of your case. But I also am not in a financial position to do anything but plan ahead...

redroomrecordings

Post by redroomrecordings » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:43 pm

that other community is extremely helpful, once you decide to purchase something bring it up over there. they will pick apart your decision and give you lots of friendly advice.

they have already talked me out of getting a prefab starter system and i am in the process of customizing one myself, which is very intimidating, and confusing but they offer lots of help.