Keyboard Stands

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
b3groover
Band: THEO

Re: Keyboard Stands

Post by b3groover » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:38 am

Got the stand today and set it up. Took a bit to get the correct height and angles set, but it's a great stand. Extremely sturdy (no rocking what so ever). The only flexibility is in how many different ways you can arrange your keys on it!

I'm loving it!

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:04 pm

i spent 6 x MONTHS looking for the BEST STANDS in the world !! And now i have found them.

JASPERS STANDS are amazing (made in Germany). You can mix and match you order as much as you wish. It is almost as good has having a CUSTOM MADE stand. Great comms, great website, great sale, and great delivery. The most PERSONAL TOUCH you can ever hope for from a company. Yes, they are a little more pricey but well worth the extra cent. i have a 4 x tier (for live gigging) and the top tier is used as a MUSIC STAND (instead of a laptop supporter). It even has a attached MIC STAND which you can specify to be placed on the left or right !!

PROEL STANDS are equally amazing. i have a table-top for my Fender Rhodes 73 Stage Piano to sit on. The stand is FAULTLESS and folds up very easily whilst remaining all in one piece. Robust and is extremely ANTI-BOUNCE !!

The WORST stands ever are ULTIMATE and QUICK-LOK. It is amazing how often i see people STILL using them. They are LAST !!!!!!!!!

dr funk

Post by dr funk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:i spent 6 x MONTHS looking for the BEST STANDS in the world !! And now i have found them.

JASPERS STANDS are amazing (made in Germany).......

PROEL STANDS are equally amazing......

The WORST stands ever are ULTIMATE and QUICK-LOK. It is amazing how often i see people STILL using them. They are LAST !!!!!!!!!
I really wish I'd read this thread before I ordered 3 x Quik Lok 3-tier double X stands for my synths. Unbelievably shoddy design - the tiers don't even line up properly!! The leaning tower of Synth? Seriously, wtf? I've even had to put in cardboard spacers to stop them wobbling.

I'd read some negative comments, but I figured "they can't be THAT bad - people are just being unduly fussy". How wrong I was....

Anyway, rant over. If anyone's shopping for stands, please learn from my mistake. I generally try to maintain a positive outlook and see the good in things, but the only positive aspect of this purchase has been the opportunity to warn others. :evil:

Frank

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:43 am

I bought a Quik Lok modular kit a few years ago and I don't regret it. It's not the best choice for a 6-synths-kit. But with some imagination, I've been able to place my controller keyboard, my analog monosynth, my mixer, my speakers, my laptop and some other gear (sound card, Nocturn, 2 pedals, drum machine, nanopiano, pro-solo, md recorder, tube processor).

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 am

those standtastic looks nice ! i migth have to get one to replaCE MY QUICKlok. i really dont like it , . i need flexibility.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 am

dr funk wrote:
I really wish I'd read this thread before I ordered 3 x Quik Lok 3-tier double X stands for my synths. Unbelievably shoddy design - the tiers don't even line up properly!! The leaning tower of Synth? Seriously, wtf? I've even had to put in cardboard spacers to stop them wobbling.

I'd read some negative comments, but I figured "they can't be THAT bad - people are just being unduly fussy". How wrong I was....
I feel your pain, mate.

The QL stand I menioned earlier in the thread has now been relegated to holding only two synths as the third tier is just too precarious and uneven to be relied on.

My next stand is going to be custom made. Years ago I had one made up and while it wasn't perfect it suited my wants and needs far better than the commercially available stuff.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:37 pm

hmm interesting.

I just bought a Quicklok QL-695 vertical stand and ordered two extra tiers for it. I found it to be fantastic, it was the only stand that I found that would suit my needs and room dimensions. No issues with shoddy manufacturing at all, BUT one thing I found interesting is that the actual stand box said "Made in Italy" while the tiers said "Made in China"!? Bit weird given they're the same company. The music shop also said that they had recently changed factory locations - perhaps my one was one of the last good quality one's made? :?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Hmmm... I make all my stands out of old POS/QL/OS keyboard stands and they are hella sturdy. Nothing too difficult about it if you can use a hacksaw and have some lag/carriage bolts.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Donovan_Juan

Post by Donovan_Juan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:30 am

Hi, I'm looking for advice from anyone who owns an On Stage 3-tier A-Frame Stand as I live in Australia and no one has them in stock for me to have a look at.

I've got a wall for keyboards in my new house which is about 2.2metres long, which is perfect for two rows of 61-key keyboards side by side as they're usually about 1 metre in length. To maximise space though I really want to get an A-Frame three tier stand so I can have three synths one on top of the other and a pedal board underneath, but I only have just enough space for a rack that is 1.2 metres wide.

The On Stage 3-tier is pretty much perfect, but it just a bit too wide to fit in the space (as the website says its 1.4 metres wide). My question is:

1. What is the width across the bottom?
2. How do the cross bars attach to the frame?
3. Can the bar be cut shorter to fit?

If anyone has advice or close up photos that would be much appreciated.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:45 am

Donovan_Juan wrote: The On Stage 3-tier, My questions are:

1. What is the width across the bottom?
2. How do the cross bars attach to the frame?
3. Can the bar be cut shorter to fit?
1. 55 inches (140cm) wide
2. "T" connectors
3. Yes, I have chopped a couple of these using my miter saw. The standard length of the horizontal tubes are 48" (122cm) and I have cut them to 43" (109cm), which is plenty of width for most 61 key synths.

Donovan_Juan

Post by Donovan_Juan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 am

Awesome, thanks for the quick response - will be getting one of these then!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:30 am

Which Quiklok stands are you guys complaining about? I have a QLX-12 and it's great, nice and solid, the adjusting mechanism is easy to use and always goes back to the same height for gigs, the tiers come off easily for transport and the feet and arms have rotating rubber cams so the stand never rocks, even if the ground isn't flat or the keyboard is warped.

I think if you've bought cheap ones and don't like them you should be complaining about cheap stands in general, not quiklok in particular.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:46 pm

I also have a 3-tier Quiklok QL-623 that has a misaligned top tier. Not what you want after spending almost £100 on a stand. It seems worse in some positions than others, and I only noticed how badly off-kilter it is after re-adjusting it in my new space. The top level is a good inch lower on the left at the front. It seems the top brace on the right leans outwards and slightly backwards/upwards compared to the left. I'd consider that pretty shoddy and won't be buying another of that type.

My other QL is fine. That's a QLX-12.

I second the Jaspers A-frames. They're very good, both strong and light.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 pm

to don juan - be forewarned that on stage A-frame stands are notorious (in my books) for showing up damaged due to pathetic packaging. i have five and it's taken seven and a parts order to complete them. only one has shown up without any damage.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Anyone had experience with Ultimate stands? I have 3000, and had a h**l of a time scoring a 2nd tier, so I bought a 2000 2nd tier thinking it would be easily modified...wrong-O!