Battle of the Mono Synths!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Battle of the Mono Synths!

Post by Box » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:53 am

I'm really in a grind here. I've got it narrowed down to, on paper, 3 really awesome mono synths that are in my price range. Really my parent's, since they decided to get a synth this year for my Bday/Xmas! :D But I have it down to: DSI MoPho, Waldorf Pulse (Plus preferably), and the Spectral Audio Neptune II. There isn't really a lot of info/reviews on the MoPho and Neptune II, that I could find anyway. But found a lot of reviews on the Pulse and it got good reviews. Overall I'm looking for IN YOUR FACE, ground shaking basses and leads. The Pulse and Neptune with their 3 oscillators seems as if the MoPho's with it's 2 is outran. But the MoPho also has it's suboscillators. The hands on control and real VCO's of the Neptune seems like it's the best. Even though I've read the Pulse also has VCO's but it's PWM is digitally clocked. I'm looking for the fastest envelopes and "thickness", so I can get the best basses and leads. I listened to almost a thousand audio demos of each and they all sound awesome. It's really hard to decide from the demos and reviews. Thanks in advance.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Battle of the Mono Synths!

Post by JSRockit » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:00 am

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them... I'm a desktop guy, so I'd go MoPho...but if I wasn't...I'd probably go pulse. Never heard or seen the Neptune II in action...never heard anyone even owning one... I wonder why? It's been around for over a year.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:17 am

They all seem to be decent synths. Never heard of the Neptune II before, but looking it up, it seems to be the "knobbiest" of the three, so if you're into tweaking, that would probably the the one to get. The Pulse looks like it's more tedious to program. The Mopho is new, pretty cheap, and would be the best supported (warranty, etc.) I can't find much info on the Neptune, such as where to buy one.

Find some sound clips on the web and compare them, to get a (rough) idea.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:35 am

Yeah, the Neptune II new is around $600 new which is out of my range. I was hoping for a used one to float around. But got to looking and the Pulse Plus had sold for $400 and another $350. Hands on isn't going to be a deal breaker, I've gotten accustomed to using a single slider for everything. The most important thing is sound.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

small blue dot
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by small blue dot » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:27 pm

I've had the pulse and currently own the mopho. Of those 2 synths I prefer the sound of the mopho and the sub-generators are very useful. I really didn't get into the sound of the pulse much, it sounded muted and boring to me (realize this is just my opinion and I know a lot of people like the pulse). I sold the pulse pretty quickly, I even prefer the sound of the bass station to the pulse. If it were my choice and I had <$400 to spend on a synth I'd go with the mopho. You should listen to samples of each synth and see what fits that sound your looking for.

Don't be discouraged by the fact that I will probably be selling my mopho soon. It's not a sign that I don't like it. I just need to clean up and simplify my rig for better use of time. That said, the 2 monos I've decided to keep are above your alloted budget anyway so I can't recomend them to you.
a master of karate and friendship for everyone

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:48 pm

I have a pulse, and a prophet 08 which is 8 mophos minus the sub oscs...

so with that said,

with just two oscs the pulse makes earth shaking basses that the prophet cant touch unless it is in unison mode

the only thing i've heard that is bassier is a model D. voyagers get close (and I have owned one of those as well)

the pulse is a nasty aggressive beast from h**l that will rip your pregnant girlfriend's womb open and yell in your unborn son's ears about just how f**k angry it is

it gets even better if you use crossmod, plus it has a great mod matrix

waldorf designed their own filter for it in house, and its their own version of the moog filter, its not a moog filter clone, but rather they took the transistor ladder filter design and made it their own, it keytracks perfectly (something which the moogs do not) etc...

oh and it can get creamy too if you want

editing from the front panel is really easy, and if you really need a bit more, there is a software editor which works great and displays all parameters on screen at once, you can get it on carbon 111's website

I haven't tried the mopho, and i'm sure the sub oscs add a lot, but the prophet doesnt get really bassey unless you stack voices

hope that helps
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

small blue dot
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by small blue dot » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Joey wrote:I have a pulse, and a prophet 08 which is 8 mophos minus the sub oscs...

so with that said,

with just two oscs the pulse makes earth shaking basses that the prophet cant touch unless it is in unison mode

the only thing i've heard that is bassier is a model D. voyagers get close (and I have owned one of those as well)

the pulse is a nasty aggressive beast from h**l that will rip your pregnant girlfriend's womb open and yell in your unborn son's ears about just how f**k angry it is

waldorf designed their own filter for it in house, and its their own version of the moog filter, its not a moog filter clone, but rather they took the transistor ladder filter design and made it their own, it keytracks perfectly (something which the moogs do not) etc...

editing from the front panel is really easy, and if you really need a bit more, there is a software editor which works great and displays all parameters on screen at once, you can get it on carbon 111's website

I haven't tried the mopho, and i'm sure the sub oscs add a lot, but the prophet doesnt get really bassey unless you stack voices

hope that helps
Those are very strong statements (a pulse better than a voyager, wow). I'd like to hear what you've come up with, maybe I didn't give it the time and chance it deserves because it probably ranks as my least favorite analog mono that I've owned...
a master of karate and friendship for everyone

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks JS for the demo. I don't think the filter sounds as nice as the Mopho or Pulse though.
Joey wrote:I have a pulse, and a prophet 08 which is 8 mophos minus the sub oscs...

so with that said,

hope that helps
That does push me toward the Pulse. And that it does abortions too makes it well worth the money. So are you saying it's better than the new Voyager? Also do you have any demos of it lying around? But I had read on Sonic State and Harmony Central where people said the Prophet was lacking in bass, and the opposite about the Pulse. So that makes me kind of leery of the MoPho, though it sounds nice on the bass samples on DSI's page. Whether or not it was using the subs or not... But I already have two 2 oscillator synths so I was thinking, "Hey something with 3 oscillators would give me something new."

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 pm

Box wrote: That does push me toward the Pulse. And that it does abortions too makes it well worth the money. So are you saying it's better than the new Voyager? Also do you have any demos of it lying around? But I had read on Sonic State and Harmony Central where people said the Prophet was lacking in bass, and the opposite about the Pulse. So that makes me kind of leery of the MoPho, though it sounds nice on the bass samples on DSI's page. Whether or not it was using the subs or not... But I already have two 2 oscillator synths so I was thinking, "Hey something with 3 oscillators would give me something new."
yes.

the voyager gets hype because of the moog name. this isn't to say its a bad synth, its definitely great, but to me if you're looking for aggressive earth shaking basses, i'd go for the pulse.

its setup so that the oscillators overdrive if you bring them up in volume, at low volumes the oscillators have a soft almost sh or juno like tone to them, and if you bring them up they are just f**k monsters

the voyager is bassey too, but it is much of a smoother sound than the pulse is

the mopho is bassey because of its sub oscillators, and I really dont see why that would be a downside, if you want bass, use the sub osc. a lot of people b***h about synths not being bassey if you use just one osc or take off the sub or whatever, but that doesnt matter in a mix.

the prophet isn't very bassey but then again it is about how you program it. if you use unison its ridiculous, and you can get some nice stuff in regular mono mode too, just nothing earth shaking like a minimoog or pulse
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:06 pm

I was thinking that having 3 oscillators that you have complete control of (wave shape, tuning, etc...) is better than having 4 oscillators that you only have control of 2 of them. Also from reading the manual it apparently doesn't have a power switch.... That's kind of inconvenient, but I'm sure the sound will make up for this slight pain in the a*s. But I had always been under the popular belief that Moog was the undeniable king of bass and all things fat. This is quite the revelation. Sort of like when Darwin pushed forward evolution and shook the church's foundation.

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:47 pm

I wouldn't get either. I'd get an MS2000 or Radias.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:49 pm

Clavier wrote:I wouldn't get either. I'd get an MS2000 or Radias.
Yucky, VA and it's KORG.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:29 am

Box wrote:Yucky, VA and it's KORG.
What's wrong with KORG? :?

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:40 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Box wrote:Yucky, VA and it's KORG.
What's wrong with KORG? :?
Had a Poly-800 and despised it. Never really liked the sound of KORG. Idk, maybe I'd like a M/P or MS-20 or the PS series. But it seems KORG always cuts corners. The single filter and digital "oscillators" of the Poly-800, and the second "oscillator" on the Poly-61 is from ROM... Plus I've played with the MicroKORG and it was horrible. Guaranteed the R3 sounds better, so I'm sure the RADIAS would be even better. But I've tried VAs and they just fail in comparison.