What is your go to Module?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
kk994

What is your go to Module?

Post by kk994 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:39 pm

Hello,

It's been a while since I posted but I could do with a bit of advice. I am about to get my second modular suitcase and am looking into what modules to get. I was wondering what is your Go To Module. What module gives you 'that sound'?

My second rack is going to be more geared towards processing and filtering rather than CV control or oscillators but I would like to know your go to module no matter what type or rack format.

thanks

Ken

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Re: What is your go to Module?

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Buyer's Guide.

I'll move this one for free.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Not a modular user, but have been partial to Metasonix stuff in the past. Have you thought of any of those?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

kk994

Post by kk994 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Yep I looked at the Metasonix stuff. I would love one but I think I might have to wait a while. I keep thinking it'll give me that low down distorted pump... warm and round. I have tried a few distortion pedals... mostly Boss OD and such but nothing really gave me the feelings.

JS did you have a few different metasonix pedals at one stage... which one was your fav? If I was to go for a metasonix thing it would be for the low down warm pump (if that makes sense).

thanks

Ken

kk994

Post by kk994 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:32 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:Buyer's Guide.

I'll move this one for free.
Ok thanks. It's been a while since I used the forum so I wasn't sure.

Slickie

Post by Slickie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:42 pm

for me its my Livewire AFG :D

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:37 pm

Depends on your format. Something like the Bannalogue VCS (voltage controlled slopes) which is based on the Serge DSG(?) It basically can do envelope, filter, slew, LFO, oscillator and as they say much much more. So basically when I run out of stuff, I use that.

oh the other is the miniwave, wavetable osc, pulse generator and quantiser....

Both of these are available in several formats I believe

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:37 pm

kk994 wrote:Ok thanks. It's been a while since I used the forum so I wasn't sure.
NP mate. That's what I figured!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:00 pm

kk994 wrote: JS did you have a few different metasonix pedals at one stage... which one was your fav? If I was to go for a metasonix thing it would be for the low down warm pump (if that makes sense).

thanks

Ken
Not sure I know exactly what you mean, but the TM-1 was my favorite one and probably the only one I really care for anymore. It just did nice things to synth sounds that had a bit of harmonic content. The other ones I had were either too boring or too over the top (TM-6, TX-2, TM-7). I will most likely buy a TM-1 again soon because I miss it (and the x0xb0x should great through it). However, if I were to go modular, I think I would have to own a TM-3... that seems like it would be a cool edition.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:21 am

If you're in MOTM format, two to check out are the MOTM-410 triple resonant filter and the MOTM-510 WaveWarper.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

kk994

Post by kk994 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:23 pm

The Banalogue VCS is a must... it's like a swiss knife module.

I already have a Eurorack and I am leaning toward buying that format again. The Frac Rack might tempt me but I really like the smaller format. Very portable.

What I'm looking at getting is the Frequensteiner, A-155 sequencer (I have the modules to make it do 16 steps). Thats all I have so far. I can afford about another 2 modules after that. It's all a haze as to what to get. I would prefer to get processing rather cv control modules.

I am not sure about the A-188 BBD or the RS120 Comb filter.

Also I am thinking about the A-199 spring reverb but I'm not sure. However Asystems have a similar module and I wonder which is it better.

There is the Plan B model 13. I love the way it makes that ringing ping sound. I am not sure if you also need the Plan B Osc to get that nice chiff sound. If it is just the Model 13 then does Doepfer vactoral filter do the same thing.

all a haze :)

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:31 pm

The Blacet Binary Zone is the genesis of every rhythmic patch on my modular. It also makes a fun little sequencer.