Oberheim OB-MX

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
liquidzen

Re: Oberheim OB-MX

Post by liquidzen » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:56 am

ok... 2 cents from someone who's owned one for years... first... it's in the shop right now with power supply issues. BUT... that is the only major problem I've had in 5 years. There is lots of mention about battery problems... i don't get it... what is so problematic about buying a common off the shelf panasonic battery for $1.20, opening the top panel, sliding the main card out and and very easily replacing the battery? I've only had to do that once.
in the 5 years that i've owned it (and its fully maxed with cards btw). it has been a dream of a synth. i mean that in the truest way. it sounds like no other. it can sound like an true vintage oberheim, but also sounds like no other synth i've owned or played... and i've owned and played them all. really. to me, it's worthy of the problems that may or may not occur. if you have the money to buy one of these you can indeed afford to spend $200 to $400 every few years to keep it functional. the sounds it's given me is worth the pain in the a*s. I can also say that even though Tom Oberheim had no part in the design and the almighty Buchla left it midway due to Gibsons corner cutting in design, it is still worthy of the oberheim name and legacy.
on the down side... The envelopes are a little too slow for my tastes. I usually double its basses with something like a juno or microwave to punch a lil more. but for pads, leads, and the WEIRDEST ever evolving sfx patches.. it's killer.
one more note for those who should get one... the factory patches absolutely suck. they are the poorest example of programming i've come across on any synth. so don't let that fool you. it's waiting for you to twist and turn it's knobs.
SCI Prophet 5, Roland SH5, MEMORYMOOG, Yammy CS30, OB Matrix1000 x 2, Korg MS10 x 2, Studio Elec SE1x, Roland Jupiter 6, Roland SYS 100M, LZX Monolith, Roland JUNO 6, SEQUENTIAL SIX TRAK

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:05 am

Thanks for the info. Glad to know that the battery is not soldered in. Any chance you could post some sound demos? Where in the great Republic of Texas do you reside?

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:55 am

liquidzen wrote:i don't get it... what is so problematic about buying a common off the shelf panasonic battery for $1.20, opening the top panel, sliding the main card out and and very easily replacing the battery? I've only had to do that once.
many (if not most) OBMx synths would rapidly drain the internal battery, a problem yours fortunately doesn't have. mine had this problem amongst others, i still have a couple spare batteries as a reminder. i'd still love a working OBMx some day, i loved the sound, the interface.