The Triton moss board questions

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
The Cancer Years

The Triton moss board questions

Post by The Cancer Years » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:11 am

is this really worth it? I mean its 500+ on CL and I can pick up a Z1 for roughly that. I have read everythgin I coudl find on the moss board but I can't just like go to a store and play it, I need a little more to go off of before I buy one.

So, my question is, should I buy a Z1, or should I get the moss board for the triton? If you think I should get the moss board can you explain to me why its so awesome?
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: The Triton moss board questions

Post by Yoozer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:52 am

Get the Z1. Patch switching takes a while, as a VA it's a bit meh, but some great noises come from that thing - we had one as a temporary replacement for when the AN1x was being repaired. Great keyboard, too.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:20 am

Remember too, the Z1 has more polyphony than the MOSS board. My Triton has a MOSS board and it sounds fantastic. It only has 6 voices though. I think the Z1 has 8 or 10 voices. You might find that limiting.

I must say though, the price of these hae skyrocketed. I bought mine for $320.00 US two years ago.
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

goom

Post by goom » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:12 pm

It depends on what is important to you. If you want to save space, the MOSS board in your Triton would be a great way to do it. I'm also pretty certain that the Triton has a lot more effects than the Z1 does, and probably better D/A convertors. You can also re-sample the sounds within the Triton if you have the sampling option. That means you can play a monophonic layered 6-voice multi-timbral MOSS sound, sample it (without the use of external help) and then play it polyphonically.

The plus for getting the Z1 is what was mentioned in the above posts, plus you get the Z pad (which I would like to have!), and an extra synth to play with. :) I can't remember if the Z1 has one or two different physical models compared to the MOSS board, or if that's the Prophecy that I'm thinking of.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:29 pm

I think the MOSS board is better if you want the all-in-one approach, that's better for gigging and saving studio space in my opinion.

If you want an extra 5 octaves around, buy the Z1, if you use the Triton for gigging or don't have enough space, go for the MOSS board.

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:25 am

Thats kinda what I was thinking, All in one device.

Im still on the fence though.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:49 am

Having MOSS in my Triton is like having diced habañeros on my vanilla ice cream. #-o
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

quicksilverXP

Post by quicksilverXP » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:38 am

Moss board is worth it imho. The Z1 is great, but I find editing much easier on the Moss Board in the Triton. I have both the Z1 and the Moss and I can't tell the sound difference at all, other than the difference in polyphony. I've got a Moss in my Extreme and rack... they're just that useful. The Moss board is just so much more convenient and 6 voices is plenty enough for what you can get out of it. I feel like if you've got a Triton already, then you might as well get a Moss to increase its creative capacity. I would rather get a different keyboard if you're considering adding another keyboard to the studio... the Z1 is just as huge and heavy as another Triton.

Plus the value of the Moss will stay the same, whereas the Z1 is slowly dropping in value. I think people are realizing that the Z1 is just too big in comparison to what you can do with the Moss board.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:56 am

The Cancer Years wrote:Thats kinda what I was thinking, All in one device.
than the MOSS board is for you. It's a great board, but perhaps wait for one with a better price (for $500, I'd personally get the Z1). Supposed to be way lower than that. It also nice to edit the rich engine with a touch view and using the Triton's rich fx with it. Also it can be layered with the HI engine/samples of the Triton.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums