Nord Lead???

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
FluoD

Nord Lead???

Post by FluoD » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Right, i have been looking at adding another synth to my setup to complement a Juno 106. i want to continue learning subtractive synthesis and a virtual analogue such as the Nord Lead seems perfect. It is more fully featured than the Juno, but should be able to achieve the same sounds; gives me more to experiment with and wont suffer with reliability problems like the 106. i really need to get it serviced, but going to Stoke isn't an option at the moment :(

I have looked at the Ion but it just doesn't seem as nice as the Nord from a playing point of view, the MS2000's polyphony limits and rules that out. is there anything else i have overlooked? or are there any analogue's in a similar price range i should consider.

2 more things, i'm obviously drawn to a brand new lead 2x with a 3 year warranty etc, but would an older model be better?

if i want to acheive juno like sounds with a VA im assuming an analogue chorus would be important. the juno era boss ce-2 would give the correct sounds? but are there any modern alternatives that are easier and cheaper to get hold of.

i've just read this back and hope my *Analogue* spelling doesn't irk anyone. IT"S RIGHT I TELL THEE! :D

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Nord Lead???

Post by Yoozer » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:40 pm

FluoD wrote: 2 more things, i'm obviously drawn to a brand new lead 2x with a 3 year warranty etc, but would an older model be better?
The patch memory on the older model is quite anemic; you have to buy a PCMCIA card to expand it. The 2X has this solved by offering way more room for presets. The Nord Rack 2 (not X) is the most bang for the buck for what they're generally offered for.
the juno era boss ce-2 would give the correct sounds?
There's no way to combine pulse + saw in oscillator 1 and square (sub) in oscillator 2, so you'll have to set up 2 programs and stack them.
but are there any modern alternatives that are easier and cheaper to get hold of.
Nothing modern, but I've also heard the Boss CE-300 (micro-rack) was an option.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.