Questions on first synth, research done but still have Q's

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nylon
Gear: cheap stuff.
Band: Sleuth

Re: Questions on first synth, research done but still have Q's

Post by nylon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:16 am

I thought I'd chime in here.
First off, Juno 106s tend to go for closer to $500+ range in Canada. Secondly, I don't think it's the best choice for your genre of interest. For less money you could buy some used Ensonq gear like an ESQ-1 that would suit you better. By the way, I have an EA-1 MkII and I don't know if I would recommend it as a first synthesizer. It sounds good, and can do harsh buzzy stuff pretty well, but I honestly think polyphony is the way to go with a first synth (depending on the genre, I suppose).
oscillate wildly.

Racerhead

Post by Racerhead » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Thanks for the additional input, I never did put an offer in on the Juno-106. I'd rather that the fellow gave me an idea of what he wanted rather than hope my offer would be really high. Not that I instantly doubt the integrity of people in general.... It's just the way the emails came across, :^o and the "full of c**p" statement Joey made that made my alarm bells go off even louder. (And gave me a laugh for some reason).

I found an Ensoniq ESQ-1 for $80 close to where my US friend lives, with a claim that it was in very good shape. I still haven't heard back, it makes me want to cry. I have done a lot of reading up on these and I'm really wanting one. Other than that, I see an SD-1 for $300, EPS-16 + (sampler?) for $120, and an VFX-SD for $300. There is also an ASR-10 for $400 but it is a sampler and has something to do with an SCSI hard drive which makes me nervous. These are all in the same area, oddly enough. No other Ensoniq's anywhere else I have been searching.

From what I understand the VFX-SD came after the ESQ-1 but was buggy. Then came the EPS-16+ then the SD-1. I looked at reviews and what not but I'm not sure if any of these compare to the ESQ-1 for ease of use and for the music I am looking to make. I also need to be able to hook whatever I get to an Electribe ES-1.

Yoozer and Johnny are probably right about just picking up an SH-201 but I thought I'd throw the other Ensoniq's out there, the brand seems to be pretty bullet-proof but I haven't heard of any of these models being recommended. Any input on the other models of Ensoniq's (and prices) or should I just grab an SH-201 to start and drive myself and everyone else nuts later getting into older synths? I know I keep waffling :oops: Thanks again for your time, knowledge and patience everyone! Take care,

Ayr

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:52 pm

the ESQ1 for $80 is a steal

that synth is f**k great
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Racerhead

Post by Racerhead » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Yeah when I saw it at that price I nearly.. Uhhh nevermind :oops: Even with the shipping cost to get it up here it is still a freaking wicked deal.

Unfortunately I do believe it is sold, I emailed several days ago and no word back. (For that price I'm sure it got nabbed right away). In the meantime are any of the other ones even worth looking at? All the Ensoniq's seem to be battleships. I'll go cry somewhere else and still obsessively check my email for a reply from the ESQ-1 seller. Take care,

Ayr

Racerhead

Post by Racerhead » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:35 am

Ok I thought I'd post an update, I found an ESQ-1 for $100 including factory foot pedal, manual, and cartridge. It's still in the US with a friend of mine, but I should have it in a couple weeks or so. My friend said when the guy sold it to him it was like he was selling a family member. He was the original owner and it's been used but very well taken care of, according to my friends inspection.

I'm still looking for an Electribe ES-1 to go with it, and lurking since I still have no synth experience to have anything to contribute yet. Except thanks again, I think I'm really going to like this synth, I wish it was here yesterday!

Ayr

nylon
Gear: cheap stuff.
Band: Sleuth

Post by nylon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:01 am

Congrats, that's a pretty awesome deal you found!
oscillate wildly.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am

yeah, i've always got my ear to the ground, waiting for an ESQ at the right price. looks like fun.