e-mu Command Stations

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

e-mu Command Stations

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:42 pm

Came across an e-Mu MP7 "Mo Phatt" Command Station for very low dough.

I have heard lots of praise for the sequencer and arpeggiator, it's knobby, has those crazy Z-plane filters and lotsa polyphony (128 voice). So what's the bad news?

I already own a Motif ES and a Radias...will I find the MP-7 redundant? Anyone using one to control Ableton Live?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

sacredcow

Re: e-mu Command Stations

Post by sacredcow » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:29 pm

IMO, the synth's sound can be kind of lame. I only like a couple of the filter models, and I know I won't be using most of the waves they provide. Programming is amazingly open-ended thanks to the wonderful patch cable system (though I'd still go so far as to complain that they don't give you enough per patch [as far as hardware capabilities... no one actually uses 128 voices of polyphony in the first place]). It is very very in depth. You cannot actually program with the knobs, you just assign them as controllers. At first it's sort of hard to wrap your head around, and, to me, it still seems like some things don't make sense. I don't like how you have the four independent layers per patch, I'd rather have all the samples going through one filter. Programming individual drum sounds instead of using their shitty kits is time-consuming. A lot of things about this box are time consuming. You can't program simple glides or gate times longer than one beat in the sequencer except by playing manually or editing note lengths. The effects are throw-away. The action on the key pad things can be terrible. You have to save presets before switching over to another one when working in a multitrack pattern.
Overall, it's pretty cool and very versatile, but those are the caveats I can offer.

If you end up getting one, whenever you make a patch, try programming one of the knobs -> gain4x and gain4x -> sample loop point for cool sync-like effects on your waves.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)