CAN MOOG LP OR DS MOPHO DO JOY DIVISION

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

CAN MOOG LP OR DS MOPHO DO JOY DIVISION

Post by Factory all stars » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:56 pm

WAS WONDERING IF EITHER OF THESE TWO COULD CREATE THE SOUNDS OF CLOSER.I KNOW THEY MAINLY USED AN ARP OMNI.THE PROBLEM IS WHERE I LIVE THERES NO WAY OF TESTING THESE TWO SYNTHS ,SO WOULD APPRECIATE SOME FEEDBACK!CHEERS

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Re: CAN MOOG LP OR DS MOPHO DO JOY DIVISION

Post by clusterchord » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 am

LP and Mopho are monophonics. in case you meant the polyphonic string sounds of Omni,

you need a string machine, not a synth per se, instruments with so-called "frequency divide" setup for the oscillator, and trademark ensemble effect. in case u cannot find a nice working Omni, you may look for other devices from this "family" too: Eminent or ARP Solina, Crumar Multiman, Elka Rhapsody 490/610 etc..

one note: several omnis i know in the vicinity are completely dead, or need serious work. not the most durable or well engineered instrument. that may mean something. or not.

i love the sound of em all.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:31 am

Yeah, you want a string machine. You can get decent strings on most analog polyphonic synths but it really isn't the same sound as a real string synth...

Keep in mind that while string machines do string well... That's pretty much all they do. However, there are some older combo synths that combine strings and a synth such as the Korg Trident and some of the Yamaha CS synths. String synths are apparently a b***h to repair and none have been made 25 or so years.
Last edited by otto on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:41 am

you need a string synth for those types of sounds...

you should also work on turning off caps lock
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

Post by Factory all stars » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Cheers for the advice,and yeah was planning on multi tracking if a decent enough string sound could be obtained from either machine.Am afraid i could not afford the price or up keep of one of the original string machines so will have to re think

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:30 pm

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:43 pm

I got my Univox Multiman for $80. Seriously check out the Crumart stuff like the Orchestrator or performer they go pretty cheap. Also look at the Sequential Circuits Prelude made by Seil, they should be pretty cheap too.
michael

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Where are you? I'm willing to bet that a weekend checking out the pawn shops and thrift shops in your area will yield a string machine or combo organ that will suit you well enough. If you have the room, people give away great organs from the 70s all the time. There are some really great Yamaha and Eminent/Solina ones that have lots of great string ensembles and functions. I got my Solina for $100 and it's amazing. I can get a Multiman for $100 that I'm still thinking about. Just a matter of room and what can it do for me more than anything.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Factory all stars wrote:Cheers for the advice,and yeah was planning on multi tracking if a decent enough string sound could be obtained from either machine.Am afraid i could not afford the price or up keep of one of the original string machines so will have to re think
errr... let get this straight.. you can buy like 5+/- string machines for the price of a LP. and if you get a working one, they are pretty much stable, and easy to upkeep. its a simple design, hence less chance of things going haywire. so far, i had zero problems with my Solina. my frieed has three stinrgers, also zero problems. as ive hinted, the Omnis are the bad apple here.

in time, if it develops noise or something, you might want to change capacitors on the power supply, like you would with any other piece of analog electronic equpimnet, like synth/fx etc. cheap n fast procedure. or do it straight away, and count this cost in the total cost of the machine. still peanuts.

bottom line, they sound just phenomenal. once you try one, you will not want to mess with any replacement or stand in, or samples. especially at the prices theyre going for.

good luck.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 am

This is why you need a Solina to do Joy Division/New Order...

Solina

You can find Solina's for a bit less than a LP also.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:05 am

clusterchord wrote:
Factory all stars wrote:Cheers for the advice,and yeah was planning on multi tracking if a decent enough string sound could be obtained from either machine.Am afraid i could not afford the price or up keep of one of the original string machines so will have to re think
errr... let get this straight.. you can buy like 5+/- string machines for the price of a LP. and if you get a working one, they are pretty much stable, and easy to upkeep. its a simple design, hence less chance of things going haywire. so far, i had zero problems with my Solina. my frieed has three stinrgers, also zero problems. as ive hinted, the Omnis are the bad apple here.

in time, if it develops noise or something, you might want to change capacitors on the power supply, like you would with any other piece of analog electronic equpimnet, like synth/fx etc. cheap n fast procedure. or do it straight away, and count this cost in the total cost of the machine. still peanuts.

bottom line, they sound just phenomenal. once you try one, you will not want to mess with any replacement or stand in, or samples. especially at the prices theyre going for.

good luck.
I don't know where you all live that people s**t string machines but I've maybe seen one or two for sale around here, ever. Yeah they still aren't that expensive on the bay but it would seem the the better ones are getting more recognition...

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:39 am

otto wrote:I don't know where you all live that people s**t string machines but I've maybe seen one or two for sale around here, ever. Yeah they still aren't that expensive on the bay but it would seem the the better ones are getting more recognition...
I think the point was that why spend more for a LP when you can get a real string machine for considerable less. Even on Ebay.

Here was a good one just closed with buy it now for$350

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:57 am

hfinn wrote:This is why you need a Solina to do Joy Division/New Order...

Solina

You can find Solina's for a bit less than a LP also.
Wow, that was so perfect that I could almost hear Ian Curtis' voice singing the lyrics!

Well done!! Did they use a Solina or an Omni on the original recording? Do the two of them sound that different?

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 pm

clusterchord wrote:bottom line, they sound just phenomenal. once you try one, you will not want to mess with any replacement or stand in, or samples. especially at the prices theyre going for.
Truer words never said.

cheers,
Ian

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Henfield wrote: Did they use a Solina or an Omni on the original recording? Do the two of them sound that different?
Omni 2
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979