Multitimbral Analog?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
intergalactic
Gear: Roland Alpha Juno 2
Yamaha Motif ES8
Yamaha PSR E-303 :)
MOTU 828 MKII
Mac Mini
Logic Express

Multitimbral Analog?

Post by intergalactic » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:56 pm

I am sure this has been addresses before but I couldn't find it in search. I was wondering if with a single multitimbral MIDI keyboard one could control two rack mount analog synths, on either side of the split? I suspect not or I would have seen a post about it. (Still learning about this MIDI stuff)

Thanks!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Multitimbral Analog?

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Yes, if the master keyboard supports transmitting on a different MIDI channel on each side of the split. Not all multitimbral synths do. As always, read the manual.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

intergalactic
Gear: Roland Alpha Juno 2
Yamaha Motif ES8
Yamaha PSR E-303 :)
MOTU 828 MKII
Mac Mini
Logic Express

Post by intergalactic » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Cool, thanks! The question was as much for what buying strategy as anything. MKS-50s seem reasonable on eBay...

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:48 pm

The MKS-50 is a great place to start with analog. It's the most reliable and most plentiful of the MKS series. It can be set to any midi channel, and it's fairly easy to navigate the menus. Sysex is excellent. If you get one, don't worry about the PG-300 controller. The MKS-50 happens to be the only MKS that's controllable from a computer based editor. There's one called PG300EMU that works perfectly, and it's free.

BTW, I paid $150 for mine a few years ago. I think they still average $150 - $200.

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:02 pm

The Korg Wavestation can have up to 8 layered/split zones controlling external midi gear, with each zone having it's on midi channel
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:57 pm

.... or you can use max/msp to route your controller to whatever.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:34 am

V-O-L-T-A

gs

Post by gs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:30 am

Mixolydian wrote:The MKS-50 happens to be the only MKS that's controllable from a computer based editor.
Pretty sure the MKS-70 can be controlled via MIDI/computer based editor as well. (But not its keyboard-based cousin, JX-10).
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:55 am

gs wrote:
Mixolydian wrote:The MKS-50 happens to be the only MKS that's controllable from a computer based editor.
Pretty sure the MKS-70 can be controlled via MIDI/computer based editor as well. (But not its keyboard-based cousin, JX-10).
Oh how I wish that were true, but the MKS-70 has a 6 pin din socket for the controller. I can send sysex patch changes to mine, but they have to be in the cartridge format 1-50, not individual patches or parameters.

I did forget about the MKS-7, which can be edited by computer. It can also be connected to a Juno 106 and edited that way.

BTW, when I first read this question, I thought Intergalatic wanted to know if there were any multitimbral analog synths. The answer to that would be yes, at least three: Roland MKS-7, and the MKS-70 / JX-10 which can both be split into two separate synths with assignable midi channels.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 am

pflosi wrote:V-O-L-T-A
How would you use Volta to do what the OP is asking? Using for example a Kawai K5000W as the multitimbral midi keyboard and a DSI Prophet 08 rack as one of the analogue rack synths and an MKS-50 as the other?

Or have you just got a macro that's set up to type Volta into every thread without reading it?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:56 am

it would work for anything that has several oscillator cv inputs.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:31 pm

pflosi wrote:it would work for anything that has several oscillator cv inputs.
How many rack mount analogue synths do you know of that aren't MIDI capable?

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Mixolydian wrote:
gs wrote:
Oh how I wish that were true, but the MKS-70 has a 6 pin din socket for the controller. I can send sysex patch changes to mine, but they have to be in the cartridge format 1-50, not individual patches or parameters.

I did forget about the MKS-7, which can be edited by computer. It can also be connected to a Juno 106 and edited that way.

BTW, when I first read this question, I thought Intergalatic wanted to know if there were any multitimbral analog synths. The answer to that would be yes, at least three: Roland MKS-7, and the MKS-70 / JX-10 which can both be split into two separate synths with assignable midi channels.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your point but my JX-3P, JX-8P, MKS-50 and MKS-70 can all be programmed via midi - the sysex implementation on the JX series was superb. The Super JX is a tad broken but the MKS-70 is a little less and I believe a firmware update improves it.

AKAI did a 1U rack, ME25S "MIDI Note Separator" many years ago that allows to you to split the keyboard for exactly the purpose requested - some of these are still used on midi retrofitted analogs. You can transpose splits too.

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:54 pm

pflosi wrote:it would work for anything that has several oscillator cv inputs.
That'll be nothing apart from modulars then...

VOLTA looks great, but it's irrelevant to this thread.